Gimbal motor Problem?

Reaction score
Gimbal issue. Help needed.

Guys, today I had a very light crash from about 5ft high. After the crash I noticed the gimbal to be looking a little bit to the left. Now when I turn the p2v+ on, the gimbal doesn't really work, it is giving me the "warning remove clamp" and "gimbal motor not working right. Also, you can hear the gimbal doing a weird noise like it's trying to do its job but it's stuck in something while the phantom is on. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Gimbal issue. Help needed.

Check the spaces between the brushless motors for debris with a flashlight... if there's anything in there jamming the motor it will throw that error onscreen.... Also check the black ribbon connector (looks like tape) hasn't come unplugged anywhere on the gimbal.

Thanks for the tip.

I found what was causing my gimbal to do that weird sound and unstable movements. The part of the gimbal that moves horizontally to stabilize the camera was a little bit twisted. Enough to cause the whole gimbal act crazy. Removed the camera from the phantom and twisted the arm back to normal and that ended all the problems that the gimbal was giving me.

Hope this info helps any other members with the same problem.

I'm having a similar issue. But I never left office. I can hear the same odd sound and getting same messages. No damage to gimbal, never left my desk. Always take clamp off before starting it too. Suggestions?

Jack, mine didn't look like it had any damage but I had small crash before. It wasn't until I was about to give up that I noticed that my gimbal was twisted when compared to my brothers gimbal.

I flew yesterday with no issues, pics or video. Started Phantom in office earlier to download pics, no issues, so I know it was not a issue from yesterday. Then later went to download more pics again, it happened, never left the desk! Just went over it with a flashlight as suggested, no obstructions. Grrrrrrrr!!!

OK I'm on my 2nd PV2 plus and have flown it about 5 times with no errors or crashes and kept in pristine condition. Now all of a sudden in the middle of my flight the tilt on the camera is non responsive and just dangles. This has happened on my last 3 flights. When I set it up to fly and check the camera tilt there are no issues but after about 1 -2 minutes in the air and not that far away (250 ft) I lose control of the tilt feature and the camera just dangles. It still is showing video and recoding on my iPhone and the compass is working but I can't tilt the camera, totally unresponsive. It asks me to remove the clamp which is obviously not on. When I land and check it says gimble obstruction or remove clamp. After I shut everything down and start up again the tilt feature is working normally but after a minute or 2 in flight same problem happens. Any suggestions here?

Hey guys- not sure if i'm in the right topic, but I can't figure out how to create a new one. After a crash I lost the screw that attaches my camera to the gimbal. After testing the gimbal still works fine as does the camera. I tried using a regular screw but it doesn't let the camera rotate up and down. I don't want to spend $400+ to replace the gimbal when it's working and all i need is a screw. Anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks!!

Also, if i'm in the wrong place posting this let me know where to post. I'm new to the forum.

- Jake

You need to delete last post here and start a new post with your question. My post is something completely different.

vieks said:
OK I'm on my 2nd PV2 plus and have flown it about 5 times with no errors or crashes and kept in pristine condition. Now all of a sudden in the middle of my flight the tilt on the camera is non responsive and just dangles. This has happened on my last 3 flights. When I set it up to fly and check the camera tilt there are no issues but after about 1 -2 minutes in the air and not that far away (250 ft) I lose control of the tilt feature and the camera just dangles. It still is showing video and recoding on my iPhone and the compass is working but I can't tilt the camera, totally unresponsive. It asks me to remove the clamp which is obviously not on. When I land and check it says gimble obstruction or remove clamp. After I shut everything down and start up again the tilt feature is working normally but after a minute or 2 in flight same problem happens. Any suggestions here?

If you look carefully on the gimbal and camera those black strips are ribbon connectors. Look at the connectors just inside the edge of the camera & gimbal assembly and you will see where the plug in. Using something small, make sure they are fully seated. Be careful so as not to damage the ribbon!

jake0429 said:
After a crash I lost the screw that attaches my camera to the gimbal. After testing the gimbal still works fine as does the camera. I tried using a regular screw but it doesn't let the camera rotate up and down. I don't want to spend $400+ to replace the gimbal when it's working and all i need is a screw. Anyone know where I can get one?

- Jake

You could remove another screw and try to match one at your local hardware or hobby shop, or you could try ordering this complete set from Helipad. Might be available elsewhere but I remembered seeing this. Not 100% what size screw you need?

http://www.helipal.com/phantom-16-phantom-screw-set.html?osCsid=gdna4lm787b1o9s5glsr4q81j6

Ribbon looks connected , is there a gimble reset or something that checks the tilt motor? Just flew again and after 1 minute camera dropped down again and I could not tilt back and said remove gamble clamp again.

You could try connecting the Phantom to the Assistant and forcing it to update the camera/gimbal software and see if that clears it up. You also might think about opening the Phantom and checking the camera connections inside. Short of that it sounds like you may just have a faulty unit.

Your 100% sure that you are not in device tilt mode? You can hit that button and the camera will tilt with your phone's accelerometer and not be responsive to touch commands. Just a thought...

100 percent sure I am not in tilt mode. this is really pissing me off. just tried to call dji for support but they are jammed with calls and I cant even be put on hold, just get disconnected.

When i plug into computer and run the software the camera jumps around and wiggles and then slowly comes to rest. Do we know if this is normal, part of the testing/calibration of the gimble? I get a green light and blinking blue which is supposed to be normal according to the manual. But when I goto use the tilt feature nothin happens. I tried re installing the latest firmware and dont see any plugs not connected. I dont know how to go back to an older firmware and dont feel comfortable opening up. any other suggestions? is there a way to see if the gimble is calibrated correctly and the motor is functioning normally in the software?

I have the same thing going on and have narrowed it down to the plug-ins with the multiple white wires that connect the camera to the Phantom. I had to remove the camera and since I put it back on those plugs don't seem to be secure. I have to push them back together about every flight and they seem to often jiggle loose during flight and the gimbal runs wild or stops working. Anyone know if there is anything to add to those connections to tighten them up?

Im having the same issue with mine, only 2 flights without crash.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.