gimbal motor overload

Reaction score
Recently had a little crash with my 3 day old p3s,,, which snapped the mounting plate for gimbal. Besides that there is no physical damage at first sight. I glued the plate back together until my replacement part arrives. Soon as i power up the gimbal goes crazy. I took plate with 5 screws off , the half moon shaft is in line with the camera, I checked the Allen head screw at base of yaw arm, it was fine also. The ribbon has no damage at all. I am stuck, any help is greatly appreciated.

Recently had a little crash with my 3 day old p3s,,, which snapped the mounting plate for gimbal. Besides that there is no physical damage at first sight. I glued the plate back together until my replacement part arrives. Soon as i power up the gimbal goes crazy. I took plate with 5 screws off , the half moon shaft is in line with the camera, I checked the Allen head screw at base of yaw arm, it was fine also. The ribbon has no damage at all. I am stuck, any help is greatly appreciated.
same thing here cri85, and I see no one else replied with any comments or suggestions. I've checked all of the usual things like the shaft alignments but can't get it to stop flailing around. Nothing on my gimbal looks broken, the crash was into some tree branches at only about 6 foot elevation.

Were you able to get your p3 going again?

same thing here cri85, and I see no one else replied with any comments or suggestions. I've checked all of the usual things like the shaft alignments but can't get it to stop flailing around. Nothing on my gimbal looks broken, the crash was into some tree branches at only about 6 foot elevation.

Were you able to get your p3 going again?
I haven't been able to get it fixed, I'm at a stand still,, I am almost to the point of sending it to dji. Unless I can find a shop around central florida that fixes them.

I tried messing with my gimbal for about 3 hours yesterday with no improvement. I took the joint between the yaw arm and the roll arm apart but everything seemed OK. I had some trouble getting it back together (some awfully small parts) but was finally successful, unfortunately it didn't fix the gimbal overload error.

I also spent some time searching for a repair shop. I'm in Brooksville, probably not that far from you, and found a hobby shop in Hudson that may be able to help. The guy I need to talk to doesn't work on the weekend so I have to wait until Monday to call him.

There is also a place called "Device Savers". They have two locations, one in south Tampa and one in Brandon. They fix smart phones, tablets and other electronics. I'm going to try the hobby shop first though, I'll let you know how it turns out.

I tried messing with my gimbal for about 3 hours yesterday with no improvement. I took the joint between the yaw arm and the roll arm apart but everything seemed OK. I had some trouble getting it back together (some awfully small parts) but was finally successful, unfortunately it didn't fix the gimbal overload error.

I also spent some time searching for a repair shop. I'm in Brooksville, probably not that far from you, and found a hobby shop in Hudson that may be able to help. The guy I need to talk to doesn't work on the weekend so I have to wait until Monday to call him.

There is also a place called "Device Savers". They have two locations, one in south Tampa and one in Brandon. They fix smart phones, tablets and other electronics. I'm going to try the hobby shop first though, I'll let you know how it turns out.
@ any luck on what's causing the overload message? I have taken this thing apart about 20 times a day and can not see no damage.. I am in ocala. I tried a shop in Tampa but they never got back to me.

Try loosing the motor taking apart the screw that fices the camera, then mount everything ready for use, activate the sistem and let the motor rotate until it stop, then put the screw again. Some times the motor is trying to reach an impossible position, let it move free to that position and fix the axel as a new reference. This procedure can fix the ginbal when it is getting crazy. Also a strange overload . Sorry my english please.

Try loosing the motor taking apart the screw that fices the camera, then mount everything ready for use, activate the sistem and let the motor rotate until it stop, then put the screw again. Some times the motor is trying to reach an impossible position, let it move free to that position and fix the axel as a new reference. This procedure can fix the ginbal when it is getting crazy. Also a strange overload . Sorry my english please.
Is it the screw that is hidden behind the plastic piece with 2 screws in it?

Is it the screw that is hidden behind the plastic piece with 2 screws in it?
Are you referring to the little allen head screw that tightens to the shaft at base of yaw arm? If so I took that out, turned on system the gimbal went crazy and never stopped at a resting point.

@ any luck on what's causing the overload message? I have taken this thing apart about 20 times a day and can not see no damage.. I am in ocala. I tried a shop in Tampa but they never got back to me.
No luck at all.
I called the hobby shop in Hudson but they said they didn't sell DJI products so no repair.
I called another hobby shop, this one is in Carollwood called Hobby Town, they said they sell and repair DJI products so I drove over there and found out they have a guy who does repairs but that he just started back to school and the shop did not know what his availability was going to be until they heard back from him. I asked if they would give the guy my name and number but I have not heard back yet.

I'll keep pressing the Hobby Town folks to get me in contact with their repair guy.

Sorry for been so late to answer. Sad if it didn't work. I had a similar issue when I disassembled the gimbal and the trick worked.

When you checked the shaft and circuit board the flat part of the piece on the board was parallel to the ground and the drone sitting on a level surface right? That flat piece represents the horizon. If the flat is off, and you stick the shaft through it, you will think its all good, but when you start the phantom, the gimbal goes crazy.

When you checked the shaft and circuit board the flat part of the piece on the board was parallel to the ground and the drone sitting on a level surface right? That flat piece represents the horizon. If the flat is off, and you stick the shaft through it, you will think its all good, but when you start the phantom, the gimbal goes crazy.
Yes it all seems to be fine. Now the camera doesn't shake, it is unresponsive and limp,, and now it says gimbal gyroscope error, when hooked to dji app

I'm stumped with a similar problem. The P3S suffered a crash, where I could't get the IMU calibrated afterwards, the X-axis accelerometer was stuck a 16G. The swift whack in the back trick managed to reset it, and I was finally able to calibrate it. When it's turned on, the gimbal seems to overshoot in all axis, all motors seems to overheat and I get on the app the gimbal overload message. I can run through the gimbal calibration, but that doesn't change anything. The yaw allen screw is on the flat spot of the motor shaft, and the roll motor shaft flat spot is horizontal. Could it be a damaged flex ribbon cable? I am still getting video feed to the app, so I didn't think the cable was damaged.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20