gimbal motor error check for obstruction

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

During my first fly I had a crash, the Phantom 2V+ hit a wall at a high of less than one meter.

Later on when I turn on the phone application . I got this message "gimbal motor error check for obstruction" but I have the image from the camera in the background. The camera is pointing down and flip about 15 degres forward and backward. The arows on the camera pitch controls are inefective. But when I tilt the Phantom vertically, then the camera is stable, the message disappear from the screen but the camera pitch controls is still inefective.
Someone could give some explanation and/or suggestions ?

Thanks.

Your Camera/Gimbal needs repair. And to my knowledge, only DJI can do any camera/gimbal repairs to the + at this time. You may want to check with your dealer to confirm. Also, based on all that Im reading, Im more and more convinced that the + and it's much more fragile gimbal system (than the non +) is really not a suitable platform for brand new beginner flyers. It's very unforgiving in any sort of crash or even hard landing.

Thank you phantomguy.

I'll contact DJI after sale service. If you think that their reply and/or the reparation outcome is an interesting information for the forum, let me know I will update this thread.

phantomguy said:
Your Camera/Gimbal needs repair. And to my knowledge, only DJI can do any camera/gimbal repairs to the + at this time. You may want to check with your dealer to confirm. Also, based on all that Im reading, Im more and more convinced that the + and it's much more fragile gimbal system (than the non +) is really not a suitable platform for brand new beginner flyers. It's very unforgiving in any sort of crash or even hard landing.
The camera/vision system in general on the P2V+ seems to be the most venerable subsystem on this Phantom......and from a replacement standpoint is the most expensive. It represents over half the cost of the product. That should be a significant factor in the buying decision. If smooth high definition video is not your primary objective, this may not be the optimal choice, particularly for the casual flyer on a budget.

Hi RedRyderMedia.

Thank you for the information. May I ask you on what ground do you evaluate that this problem requires the replacement of the all camera/vision system and can not be repaired as beside that the camera is pointing down and flip and that the arows on the camera pitch controls are ineffective, all the others functions are in order ?

Concerning your remark that the P2V+ "may not be the optimal choice, for casual flyers ", it seems that you are right, the + camera/vision system is very fragile and not properly protected. As a new comer, I would have been more cautious about purchasing the P2V+ if DJI had clearly notify the + buyers that it do not fit for novices pilots. Which is not the case.

Don't you think that DJI should respond to that ?

Haneelam said:
Hi RedRyderMedia.

Thank you for the information. May I ask you on what ground do you evaluate that this problem requires the replacement of the all camera/vision system and can not be repaired as beside that the camera is pointing down and flip and that the arows on the camera pitch controls are ineffective, all the others functions are in order ?

Concerning your remark that the P2V+ "may not be the optimal choice, for casual flyers ", it seems that you are right, the + camera/vision system is very fragile and not properly protected. As a new comer, I would have been more cautious about purchasing the P2V+ if DJI had clearly notify the + buyers that it do not fit for novices pilots. Which is not the case.

Being a beginner, I think the Vision+ is the perfect quadcopter. I don't know of any other copter/camera combination that is easier and more foolproof to fly, if you are careful. I too, crashed mine on it's first flight. In the air for 30 seconds, in the tree with spinning rotors for about five minutes till a neighbor brought a ladder and got it down for me. I also feel the gimble is overly "delicate" but mine suffered no damage except for one propeller, and I've had about 35-40 flights, since.

I don't think there are many quadcopters on the market that would survive, unscathed, slamming into a wall. I think this is clearly pilot error in that the pilot should have chosen a large open space, with no walls, to do the initial flights.

Suck it up and accept the fact that you caused the damage and you are going to have to pay for it. There is a camera/gimble combo, new, on eBay for about $800. Probably your best bet for a speedy fix.

PhilAnderson said:
Haneelam said:
Hi RedRyderMedia.

Being a beginner, I think the Vision+ is the perfect quadcopter. I don't know of any other copter/camera combination that is easier and more foolproof to fly, if you are careful. I too, crashed mine on it's first flight. In the air for 30 seconds, in the tree with spinning rotors for about five minutes till a neighbor brought a ladder and got it down for me. I also feel the gimble is overly "delicate" but mine suffered no damage except for one propeller, and I've had about 35-40 flights, since.

I don't think there are many quadcopters on the market that would survive, unscathed, slamming into a wall. I think this is clearly pilot error in that the pilot should have chosen a large open space, with no walls, to do the initial flights.

Suck it up and accept the fact that you caused the damage and you are going to have to pay for it. There is a camera/gimble combo, new, on eBay for about $800. Probably your best bet for a speedy fix.

If you owned the non plus vision you'd know how strong those babies are, ive read countless stories of them flying full speed into tree trunks and walls and even very big falls including mine and all they needed was a few new props. The pv2 is the ideal beginner quad over the + due to price reduction and how very very sturdy it is.

Hi PhilAnderson.

First, I don't think that a crash is avoidable during a first flight.

In order to be precise. I fly my +in the park of my compound. I had more than 30 meters open space 360 degrees. In the Phantom Pilot Training Guide it says in Basic Flight Maneuvers : “ Fly forward to a spot 20-30 feet away” which is about 6/10 meters. I did accordingly. The + was flying at a low/mid speed at about half meter high, then I confused and keep flying while the nose of the + was pointing to the remote controller so instead of flying back the + keep moving forward beyond the 20 meters range and hit the wall. 2 propellers broke. That’s the all story, so yes I am responsible of the damages, but the shock was not strong and as I wrote, this kind of crash should be common for a first flight. Beside, why the camera/gimble combo can not be repaired as beside the flipping of the camera and the problem with moving the arows on the screen all the camera/gimble functions works ? DJI after sale service is only sale and not repairing ?

RedRyderMedia said:
phantomguy said:
The camera/vision system in general on the P2V+ seems to be the most venerable subsystem on this Phantom......and from a replacement standpoint is the most expensive. It represents over half the cost of the product. That should be a significant factor in the buying decision. If smooth high definition video is not your primary objective, this may not be the optimal choice, particularly for the casual flyer on a budget.

I completely agree, especially when you factor in that most buyers are casual users who will be suited perfectly fine by the non + Vision combined with post-editing video stabilization available in most software and via built in features on Youtube and VImeo.

In hindsight? I honestly wish I would have not returned my Vision in exchange for the + model. I get a bit nervous each time I install/reinstall my gimbal clip as that delicate ribbon cable is right there exposed.

I lost my vision plus to a run-away Return Home run test when it developed a mind of it's own and overshot the home position straight into a tree about 30 feet away. Fell onto soft grass, but still destroyed the gimble. This was only my second day with it, and yes, it was after the firmware 3.06 update.... who knew? I post in this thread, because that's the error message I'm getting after this event.

I don't have time to do any repair / warranty dance as I have business waiting for this thing, and tech support is what it is. And so I'm looking for an alternative device and will be regretfully returning my phantom until they work this inexcusable glitch out. On top of that, in my research of this problem, I found the problem with the camera itself (falling off the gimble) do to poor workmanship. It's sad that a company who is so ahead in technology, is so cheap with it's manufacturing. What's the point of a $1400 camera that falls apart after a few rough landings... ?

And so.... off to request an RMA

----- update

Tech support managed to talk me into trying another.... still having problems with what feels like software issues.... but trying again. The video produced by one of these (working) birds is too amazing not to give it SOME effort ;-0

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik