Gimbal malfunction in flight

Reaction score
I would like to get some help figuring what happened in my last flight, The wind 4 miles/hour, I was flying FPV from my home as usual, with my controller connected to external antenna on my rooftop,so I totally depend on my camera feed , for flying to a nearby park about 2 miles away, all of sudden I noticed that my camera tilted upwards and to one side and not responding to the controller.
I hit the return home button, and I had hard time landing since I do not trust automatic landing near my house because of trees, lastly I managed to land safely almost blindly. When I retrieved the drone and switch it off and on again I noticed that the gimbal start to work fine as if nothing happened.

Please watch the short video , and the flight record that I uploaded. My question now should I send the drone for maintenance although it does not show any problem now and it acts normal ?
Can I trust it for FPV after this unpleasant incidence?

Note : my drone has 454 total flights as shown in the attachment .

Flight record:

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Video :

c71d8609e8bf8a31613a3d2432fec124.jpg

My P4 did the same thing happened to me twice so far. The first time I though I was pushing too hard in the wind, got home and a restart and all was good, flew several batteries in the next couple of weeks with no problem. The second time it was about just like you, almost no wind and I was moving real slow then it happened, at first when I saw the video in my screen I was thinking I was going down, checked my telemetry and all was OK. Flew back home using my map, did a restart and flew 2 more batteries with no problem. Since the last event I have flown about 10 batteries with no problems, a few time on real windy days. Still don't know the cause, relax and you can fly back using your instruments, just don't try to go around stuff! lol

The Phantom 4's...at least some of them, including mine, have glitchy gimbals/cameras on them. I've tried every single thing thats ever been suggested on this forum to try and straighten it out, including calibrating numerous times on a plastic table out in the yard, that was leveled using 2 different digital levels. The tilted horizon issue is always there. Sometimes I can straighten it out with the remote, and sometimes it just hangs around. Even when I can straighten it out with the back button/thumb wheel, it always comes back after a turn or two. The "flopping camera" comes and goes as it pleases, but is usually worse after it's been flying for 45 minutes or so. By the time I'm on the third battery, it's always jerking around, and I don't dare take it very far.

If the Phantom 4 was a car, and this kind of thing was happening to the brakes or steering, there would be a massive outcry and the government would force them into a recall. I really regret selling my Phantom 3 Advanced. The camera was always rock steady on it and never had any of the problems that the P4 has built into it. Whatever they changed between the P3 and P4 series...it's an engineering disaster. I'm sure DJI knows what the issue is, but they're relying on slippage ( the vast percentage of people who won't bother sending the product back for warranty) to get them by financially. I will never buy another DJI drone unless it's been out for at least a year, and everybody else in the consumer market has bug tested it for them. It's really too bad that they won't man up, admit they screwed up, and make things right with a proper fix.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20