Gimbal lock a bear

Reaction score
Looking for advice. Removing (and even reinstalling) the factory gimbal lock feels very aggressive to me. I feel like I am going to break or been something each time. Not sure where to put my fingers on the gimbal or camera when pulling it off or pushing it on.

Do most people get a different one to use? Suggestions? Or am I being to sensitive? Seems like this is a delicate part and fell like I am pulling it apart...

Thanks for any 'this is how i do it'.

Reactions: stubblefield
When removing or refitting and with the aircraft on its back legs with no props on, hold the camera firmly in one hand while gently fitting the gimbal lock with the other hand. don't force anything and gently with your thumb and finger squeeze each leg onto the aircrafts legs. look underneath the legs and you will see the lines on the rubber feet where to locate the snap on legs of the gimbal clamp. be gentle placing the camera housing in its clamp at the same time as it is a little on the tight side

When removing or refitting and with the aircraft on its back legs with no props on, hold the camera firmly in one hand while gently fitting the gimbal lock with the other hand. don't force anything and gently with your thumb and finger squeeze each leg onto the aircrafts legs. look underneath the legs and you will see the lines on the rubber feet where to locate the snap on legs of the gimbal clamp. be gentle placing the camera housing in its clamp at the same time as it is a little on the tight side

I am sorry. I am not following the parts about 'onto aircraft legs' or looking at rubber feet. My gimbal lock doesn't touch the aircraft legs at all. Or snap on legs? Maybe we have different type? Or I asked incorrectly? Sorry!

Darren is describing the process for a P4.

I find the P3S gimbal lock tough to remove and put back on too. I tried some 3rd party locks, but I didn't find anything that works as well. I just battle through it each time.

I am sorry. I am not following the parts about 'onto aircraft legs' or looking at rubber feet. My gimbal lock doesn't touch the aircraft legs at all. Or snap on legs? Maybe we have different type? Or I asked incorrectly? Sorry!
You asked about removing and replacing that little clear plastic gimbal shipping brace, and you got instructions on how to put a new motor into a Jeep Wrangler.;)

Darren, he is talking about that little convoluted plastic piece that comes on the camera from the factory that people forget or don't know to remove, I think.
Conway, I found on mine, there are a couple sharp corners that tend to try to hang. I took a nail file and gently rounded them off a bit wherever it was trying to drag or catch.

Last edited:
Darren is describing the process for a P4.

I find the P3S gimbal lock tough to remove and put back on too. I tried some 3rd party locks, but I didn't find anything that works as well. I just battle through it each time.

Makes me feel better. Thought maybe I was WAY off. :) I can miss a few things, but usually not that bad.

Any feeling about whether some of the eBay-type that combine lens cap and lock together are any good? Look easier to use, but don't look like they grab in near as many places...

I haven't tried this, but I'm wondering if lightly sanding the inside of the gimbal lock will make is slide on easier. It seems to fit just a little too well out of the box.

Reactions: conway400
I filed the tabs down that cause the friction when sliding it on. I too was concerned about manhandling it to get it on. I bought other lens caps, but decided the stock was better once the tabs were taken down.

Nice! The stock gimbal lock really works well once you get it on. The P3A/P3P/P34K gimbal lock goes on easier for some reason.

Agree with stuka75: the P3S gimbal lock in its stock form is indeed a pain and it can do more bad than good, but it's easy to modify. The portion of the lock that goes around the lens (shaped like a square "C") has some small ribs on the inside that give it a tight grip: if you file them down a bit (do it little by little), you will reach a point where the lock will slide on/off with little effort on the lens, making installation and removal much much easier. I did it on mine from day one, and it works very well.

Reactions: stubblefield
Thanks. I will try that this week. It is very nice once on. I just feel like the whole thing is going to coming flying off sometimes when taking it on or off. Made me wonder (just for a moment!) if you were supposed to throw it away after unboxing. :)

Agree with stuka75: the P3S gimbal lock in its stock form is indeed a pain and it can do more bad than good, but it's easy to modify. The portion of the lock that goes around the lens (shaped like a square "C") has some small ribs on the inside that give it a tight grip: if you file them down a bit (do it little by little), you will reach a point where the lock will slide on/off with little effort on the lens, making installation and removal much much easier. I did it on mine from day one, and it works very well.
Well stated. I just couldn't come up with the words to describe the process.

Looking for advice. Removing (and even reinstalling) the factory gimbal lock feels very aggressive to me. I feel like I am going to break or been something each time. Not sure where to put my fingers on the gimbal or camera when pulling it off or pushing it on.

Do most people get a different one to use? Suggestions? Or am I being to sensitive? Seems like this is a delicate part and fell like I am pulling it apart...

Thanks for any 'this is how i do it'.

Thanks for posting this. You explained exactly how I feel every time removing and reinserting the lock.

And thank you 120CCPM for the solution.

I use this one and really like it. There are similar caps/guards from other companies that I've read complaints about, where the part that clamps over the gimbal apparently works on some models but not others. The one I linked to, from Neewer, fits my Phantom 3 Standard perfectly.

Last edited:
You might try laying the P3S on its side and be sure that the bottom and back of the camera are against the mating surface of the bracket, and simultaneously align the tab on the top with the accompanying slot it goes in. That is the only way I can reliably get the thing on.

There always seems to be a trick with these things...or maybe you just sand it down...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31