Gimbal keeps moving left right left right

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to phantompilots, but have been with InspirePilots for some time.

I didn't find solution so decided to post here.

Rebuilding crashed P4. Replaced yaw arm on the gimbal. Camera initialized fine, and stabilizes as it should. A few seconds later it's starts moving left to right (yaw) and doesn't stop. Video feed and other axis work fine.

I am thinking either the yaw motor or the Controll board is not working.

Would appreciate any input.

Took the gimbal apart, but will put it together to take a video.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: anissa
Are you getting any warnings on the GO app?
There is not very much information on these issues, other than calibrating and firmware updates.
So, pretty much you are stuck replacing parts until its fixed.
Please keep us updated.

Reactions: Droneted
I do get video feed but the status shows "Gimbal Disconnected"

Looking for new Y motor as a next step.
Will keep everyone updated

Still trying to find a yaw motor and esc/motor controll boards. Having hard time finding them.

Gimbal now shows as overloaded in the status menu in Go app

I made a video and posted it on YouTube showing the non stop yaw movement left to right.

Best of luck finding yaw Motors. If you do find them please let me know. I have 2 Phantom 4s sitting on a shelf for months waiting for someone selling a crashed p4 gimbal so I could scavenge the motors. seems like nobody makes those Motors

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using PhantomPilots mobile app

There is someone from China selling the motors in eBay, $60.

Gimbal Y arm Motor for DJI Phantom 4 GENUINE from DJI PART drone repair | eBay

Problem is there are two types of motors, newer and older, I have older one, they are selling newer one. My understanding is the only difference is in the mount of the motor. There is a video that shows how to swap your old mount with a new motor, I don't know if I want to risk $60 motor though as you can sometimes find broken gimbal for $120

I am working on this problem. I have 5 P4 cameras on my bench right now. Most have the old style motor. I am thinking it is the sensor on the back of the Yaw arm. I have tried switching sensors from one camera to another. The problem seems to move with the sensor. Still I am not convinced this is the issue. I have also change the yaw motor. This did fix a couple. It seems to be a combination of problems. Then I read somewhere that we needed to move the magnet on the yaw motor. That has me stumped. Not sure what that is about. I can tell you this, I am working with a supplier who is trying to get us Yaw motors from DJI. I have a list of people who want them. mostly the old style for some reason. I hope to hear something very soon.

Buying crashed P4 cameras on EBay is not the answer. They all have this same problem. Once they are damaged, the Yaw problems begin. Been there done that.

Thank you for the explanation. I am one of the people on your list, I am just trying to see if others have similar issues and solutions. Hope your supplier comes through !

Update: replaced Yaw motor. The issue with camera moving left to right has been fixed. How ever now upon startup the camera looks to the right. Not sure what the next step is yet

I did calibrate everything, even went as far as calibrating the vision positioning cameras, just because. It is now boils down to either the sensors or the need to replaced the original magnet in the Yaw motor, but this last one seems Sify.

I agree, why would the magnet be different on another motor? I feel it is the sensor but can't prove it without a new sensor to try

I talked with the guy at ATKdrones yesterday and he says they believe they have figured out a fix for the yaw motor erratic behavior as it might not be the motor at all, but rather the circuitry. I guess they are going to try to replace one of the circuit cards and see if that is a good fix, otherwise a replacement will be the only option. I have one on back order from DroneNerds.com, should be here next week.

Reactions: Droneted
I talked with the guy at ATKdrones yesterday and he says they believe they have figured out a fix for the yaw motor erratic behavior as it might not be the motor at all, but rather the circuitry. I guess they are going to try to replace one of the circuit cards and see if that is a good fix, otherwise a replacement will be the only option. I have one on back order from DroneNerds.com, should be here next week.
That has been the focus of my work on these. The problem I have is that you can't buy that part.

ATKdrones now has a fix for this, it requires some intricate circuitry repair on one of the control boards. They just finished mine.

Wow finally someone has cracked it. Now if we could find out what they know. For now can you tell us about what it costs to repair and how we get a hold of them?

I second Ted4797, it's time for a solution.

In my case, original yaw motor does left to right dance.

Replacement motor does not dance, but after start up it yaws all the way to one side.

Switched motors back and forth, the behavior is as described, so not sure why two motors would behave differently with the same board. All though original motor was involved in a crash.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj