Gimbal issues

Reaction score
Took the bird out today, initially had problems calibrating the compass. This has been causing me grief for the last 4 flights or so constantly showing compas error.
Anyway after I calibrated the compass I took it into the air and started filming. It wasn't until I began moving left and right that I noticed the image was moving with the drone and the gimbal wasn't doing its job. I haven't tried to turn it on since my last flight as it is now dark and the battery is too low.

Was this just an issue with the compass? Does it work in conjunction with the calibration? Or do I have an issue?
I handle the drone with the most care, to the point my partner teases me. So I can be certain it's not an issue caused by physical damage.

Please help...

Took the bird out today, initially had problems calibrating the compass. This has been causing me grief for the last 4 flights or so constantly showing compas error.
Anyway after I calibrated the compass I took it into the air and started filming. It wasn't until I began moving left and right that I noticed the image was moving with the drone and the gimbal wasn't doing its job.
I haven't tried to turn it on since my last flight as it is now dark and the battery is too low.

Was this just an issue with the compass? Does it work in conjunction with the calibration? Or do I have an issue?
I handle the drone with the most care, to the point my partner teases me. So I can be certain it's not an issue caused by physical damage.

Please help
I have just had pretty much the same problem, losing complete control of movement of the camera. The video still works fine though. Returning the 4 week old P3A to the supplier, a replacement gimbal worked fine. I was told the gimbal probably got wet, as that was a common cause of this exact problem.
Yes, I have flown, then brought it down when a dew drops of rain fell. I have "Returned to Home", and the drone has landed in wet grass, and hes it was splashed lightly buy drops of water when touching down near a puddle.
If moisture can cause the gimbal to fail, then that is a design fault. At no time was anything other than the landing gear touching water. I have sent the gimbal off to GJI for service/repair/replacement.
As to your problem, you have probably sorted it out already, however if the gimbal moved on power up, it should be OK. If no movement but video OK, then you and I have similar problems. let me know how you get on.
Chris

I haven't tried to turn it on since my last flight as it is now dark and the battery is too low.

Please help
I have just had pretty much the same problem, losing complete control of movement of the camera. The video still works fine though. Returning the 4 week old P3A to the supplier, a replacement gimbal worked fine. I was told the gimbal probably got wet, as that was a common cause of this exact problem.
Yes, I have flown, then brought it down when a dew drops of rain fell. I have "Returned to Home", and the drone has landed in wet grass, and hes it was splashed lightly buy drops of water when touching down near a puddle.
If moisture can cause the gimbal to fail, then that is a design fault. At no time was anything other than the landing gear touching water. I have sent the gimbal off to GJI for service/repair/replacement.
As to your problem, you have probably sorted it out already, however if the gimbal moved on power up, it should be OK. If no movement but video OK, then you and I have similar problems. let me know how you get on.
Chris
A design flaw, because it landed in a puddle? Any moisture introduced risks a malfunction with electronics. All three scenarios would cause problems. These are not all weather birds. I feel you are fortunate your supplier replaced it.

SD

A design flaw, because it landed in a puddle? Any moisture introduced risks a malfunction with electronics.

Thanks for the response SD. I say a design flaw, because I've worked designing electronics stuff all my life, and we make sure things cannot have an ingress of water to the electronics. It is how we design stuff to withstand the weather. I am not saying immersion in water, just resistance to water droplets. (I only actually found one drop of water on the lens and another drop on top of the gimbal after all these things.
From what I can see, it may have even been condensation, because we have had very hot days, warm rain, then a sudden cool change overnight. The problem was this week, and the humidity and wet grass was last week. I will contact DJI with these comments.
Regards, Chris

It's not got wet. On start up the gimbal does its normal stretches and the movement through the controller still functions. It just wasn't keeping the image still when moving left to right?

Thanks for the response SD. I say a design flaw, because I've worked designing electronics stuff all my life, and we make sure things cannot have an ingress of water to the electronics. It is how we design stuff to withstand the weather. I am not saying immersion in water, just resistance to water droplets. (I only actually found one drop of water on the lens and another drop on top of the gimbal after all these things.
From what I can see, it may have even been condensation, because we have had very hot days, warm rain, then a sudden cool change overnight. The problem was this week, and the humidity and wet grass was last week. I will contact DJI with these comments.
Regards, Chris
Ok, understand. Like positive pressure with HVAC?

SD

It's not got wet.
OK, different problem to mine. My gimbal did nothing on startup at all on Wednesday.
The supplier tried a different gimbal to test my cables and the test gimbal worked normally, proving my gimbal had the fault. I now fly gibal free until I get it repaired or replaced of dumped.
How is yours now Simmsy? Regards Chris

OK, different problem to mine. My gimbal did nothing on startup at all on Wednesday.
The supplier tried a different gimbal to test my cables and the test gimbal worked normally, proving my gimbal had the fault. I now fly gibal free until I get it repaired or replaced of dumped.
I'll give her a charge tonight and try in the morning. I'll feed back what happens. Fingers crossed :(

Ok, understand. Like positive pressure with HVAC?
Not that elaborate really, SD, just protection of the public with electronics where it is installed on street corners (Traffic controllers actually) so some kids cannot poke stuff in them and get electrocuted, or the weather cannot make them break down and fail to work. The degree of protection is called an IP rating, see: IP rating table
All I see DJI needing to do is prevent the gimbal from letting water inside to get at the electronics. Maybe a plastic bag around it, with a hole for the camera lens? :)
I just wish I could turn my training to help them improve their product. However, having said that, and despite the supplier saying it was a common problem, I cannot yet see anyone else with my problem. $700 Aust for a new gimbal. nearly the cost of a new DJI P3.
Regards, Chris

All sorted. It must have been an issue with the calibration for that particular flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik