Gimbal issue

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased the Phantom 2 with h3-3d gimbal. I installed the gimbal (correctly I believe), and then I attached my Gopro 4 and powered it on, it went through that quick cycle where the camera points directly straight ahead, then also straight down. However, once it's done cycling through, the camera points at a downward angle (probably 45 degrees), and when I try to adjust the camera angle using the controller, the camera cannot be adjusted to point straight ahead, or straight down. And when I let go of the adjustment toggle, the camera angle will move. I don't have any camera add-ons. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Thanks

just curious, do you have a V1 or V2 Phantom, like on the RC do you control the gimbal with the little arm on the back of the RC, or with the dial?

In either case, I believe that's called the "X1 stick", and there are two places to calibrate it.
1) in the RC Assistant software (not Phantom Assistant). RC Assistant is much more basic: attach the USB directly to your RC, run RC assistant, and do stick calibrations including moving the X1 (wheel or lever)

2) now connect the USB back to the Phantom and switch to the Phantom Assistant software. On the Basic / RC tab there are more stick calibrations, do the sticks and also do the X1 calibrate. After all that, you should at least be able to see the little X1 chevron moving on the screen when you move the X1 (wheel or lever).
If you can see the little black chevron move in the Assistant software, then at least the RC is sending and the Phantom is receiving the adjustment correctly.
If your gimbal STILL isn't moving then something else is wrong

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was able to go into the Assistant and adjust the camera angle. However, when I let go of the gimbal control, the camera returns to the original angle.

There are two ways that the gimbal pitch angle can be controlled, depending upon the version of the (GCU?) firmware you have:

- old way: control is absolute: pitch angle position follows lever position.
(lever up = camera up; lever middle = camera middle; lever down = camera down)

- new way: control is relative: pitch angle change follows lever position.
(lever up = camera moves up; lever middle = camera doesn't move; lever down = camera moves down)

Once you upgrade the firmware to the new way, you can't go back (as of yet).

So you must keep your finger on the control knob in order to maintain that camera angle?

You've got the controller with the self-centering gimbal wheel? Sounds like you need to update your firmware.

duceno1 said:
So you must keep your finger on the control knob in order to maintain that camera angle?

In basic mode, yes you need to keep your finger on it.. You can try and remove the self centering spring in the tilt wheel.

Set to upgrade mode - it will put a smile on your tilt-wheel dial. The harder you push, the faster the tilt moves. Let go and it will stop.

And finally, the new firmware does make the H3-3D gimbal look down. They are working on a fix.

Just curious, what exactly do you mean by "basic" and "upgrade" mode? Do you mean Phantom vs. Naza mode? Or do you mean pre- vs post-firmware upgrade? Just an innocent bystander requesting clarification ;)

Mako79 said:
duceno1 said:

In basic mode, yes you need to keep your finger on it.. You can try and remove the self centering spring in the tilt wheel.

Set to upgrade mode - it will put a smile on your tilt-wheel dial. The harder you push, the faster the tilt moves. Let go and it will stop.

And finally, the new firmware does make the H3-3D gimbal look down. They are working on a fix.

spudraleigh said:
Just curious, what exactly do you mean by "basic" and "upgrade" mode? Do you mean Phantom vs. Naza mode? Or do you mean pre- vs post-firmware upgrade? Just an innocent bystander requesting clarification ;)

Mako79 said:
duceno1 said:

In the phantom assist 3.4 and 3.6, Under RC > you have 2 options > upgrade and basic. Upgrade refers to the new controller with the tilt dial/lipo battery and basic refers to the old.

Upgrade is the relative control - further you push, the faster the camera tilts.
Basic is the absolute control - if max up, it will point up. If you max down, it will point down. If you leave it in middle, it will point 45 degrees.

I have both old and new controllers. Both are running on the upgrade mode. My old control is using a modified spring loaded slider, and works a charm. I have to admit, the new tilt wheel is a blessing and well designed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4