Gimbal is suddenly tilting to the right

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqf25e_YAwQ

Tilting just before 4 and 15 seconds. Usually it tilts 1-4 times during a flight, and it real flight time varies.
This also happened at my very first flight.
Haven't added any extra weight to GoPro. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Edit: This seems to occur when gimbal is facing straight.

Haugen said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqf25e_YAwQ

Tilting just before 4 and 15 seconds. Usually it tilts 1-4 times during a flight, and it real flight time varies.
This also happened at my very first flight.
Haven't added any extra weight to GoPro. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Edit: This seems to occur when gimbal is facing straight.

EDIT: looks like gimbal is out of balance. I added some counterweight and the problem stopped. check my thread linked below

I'm not saying this is a dupe thread or anything but indeed many of us are having this problem, and so far nobody has actually fixed it to my knowledge. I know I've seen threads about it before, but here's mine from like a week ago with a video I took from the ground showing what happens. You're right about when it's facing straight, so the reason it's happening to you during flight is when the Phantom tilts and it gets into that position and does the little reset process.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21345

for most of us, it only happens when the camera points "straight" ahead so flying with a slight downward tilt helps... the certain degree varies from person to person for example mine is okay at 10degrees (makes noise but doesn't reset) but others require more tilt. You can just set it by hand or artificially block the gimbal via the Phantom Assistant software on the gimbal tab

I fixed mine: do an IMU calibration on a perfectly level surface, then bend the gimbal plates the rest of the way till level. Easy.

QYV said:
I'm not saying this is a dupe thread or anything but indeed many of us are having this problem, and so far nobody has actually fixed it to my knowledge. I know I've seen threads about it before, but here's mine from like a week ago with a video I took from the ground showing what happens. You're right about when it's facing straight, so the reason it's happening to you during flight is when the Phantom tilts and it gets into that position and does the little reset process.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21345

for most of us, it only happens when the camera points "straight" ahead so flying with a slight downward tilt helps... the certain degree varies from person to person for example mine is okay at 10degrees (makes noise but doesn't reset) but others require more tilt. You can just set it by hand or artificially block the gimbal via the Phantom Assistant software on the gimbal tab

I was googling and trying to find similar problems but couldn't. Right after I posted my tread I found something similiar, and then I noticed your post where you referred to the post with the same problem that I have. So sorry for this!

IMU didn't need any calibration, so I tried QYV's trick with counterweight and it actually worked! I will report back to my dealer that my gimbal was NOT balanced from factory as they told me.
QYV's thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21345
QYV's solution - which he got from IrishSights' balance theory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5J_CCL62UE

Thank you!

mattpitts74 said:
Hi There,

I have just put my brand new gimbal on and found this is also behaving in a very similar way to the above https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcvmH0XsyQQ

Should I be going back to my DJI dealer and asking for a replacement?

not exactly sure.. yours seems to be doing a similar problem but on a different axis. The situation from my thread was easy to replicate on the ground... is yours? for me, as I used the X1 lever to bring the gopro facing forward, a very loud noise would start from the motors. If I left it too long that axis motor would reset, so the video would tilt drastically to one side, just like when I let go of the axis in the first video and the axis would tilt down to one side dramatically. Watch the video from my original post.... does yours act similarly when simply sitting on the ground like mine? If so, you could try to use the same method I did... like Irishsights said if you place the gopro in a certian position, if everything is balanced it will stay in that exact position. test that with all 3 axis

btw, are you running the latest firmwares for both gimbal and Phantom? do you have the H3-3D interference board installed?

Thanks QYV for a quick response, I've just been checking as you suggested and the gopro looks balanced well to me, and there is no obvious noise when the camera is facing directly forward!

I've also just checked and everything is running the latest firmware. I only flown three flights with the gimbal attached and I do have the interference board attached too. but I assume that should help! Here another video with the same issues https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pqAKoyC4CI

I"ve also watched your balance video and wasn't sure if the go pro should be balanced while the phantom is switched off?? if so mine is not see photo

Although if I fiddle i can get it to balance of fall the other way when the power is not on. so not really sure if its not balanced but suspect its not.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    733.8 KB · Views: 618
mattpitts74 said:
I"ve also watched your balance video and wasn't sure if the go pro should be balanced while the phantom is switched off?? if so mine is not see photo

ah yes, didn't cover that I wasn't expecting my videos to become gospel on the issue :) Indeed, with all power OFF Irishsights says you should be able to place the gopro in any position with the gimbal and when you release everything, will stay right where it is. If it doesn't.. if there's anything more than some tiny movement... then something is out of balance. Then you need to just figure out exactly which axis and add tiny bits of counterweight until stable... for example the difference between my video where (with phantom power off) I release the gimbal and it very obvously goes CLUNK and falls to one side... then after adding counterweight I do the same thing and it only moves a few millimeters... much more stable.

I have to imagine the same would apply to any axis.

however the fact that you can't replicate the problem on the ground with the power on makes me wonder if it's the same issue.

I just got an email from from the UK dealer I bought the gimbal from called http://www.rcgeeks.co.uk They advised me to do a reset of the gimbal as shown here, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2172624

Anyway i have tried this and plugged back into the assistant software and this is what I get??

I now find the gimbal is completely unresponsive and lifeless!! Does anyone have any suggestions? I also noticed that although I upgraded all the firemware the otherday its still showing it needs upgrading does anyone else have this problem??

Cheers

Matt

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 18.09.18.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 18.09.18.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 616
Try re-updating everything and re-running advanced IMU calibration and if that gets you back to a functional gimbal , just bend the plates or gimbal base where it meets the plates till it's level.

I had a misshap, it was leaning serious left, bent (gently but firmly) that sucker back and it's been like new ever since.

They probably have a section of the Chinese factory dedicated to fixing gimbals returned with "It's not straight!" complaints and all they probably do is bend it back, repackage it and ship it out to another customer :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20