Gimbal Guard

Reaction score
Is there any inherent damage if you turn the bird on with the gimbal guard still in place. It obviously stops the camera from doing its warm up exercises. I'm guilty of this once but no damage done. Must be hard on the gimbal motors I'm thinking. Any ideas or info?

I wouldn't recommend intentionally doing this, but it shouldn't hurt anything if you forget to remove the gimbal lock a few times. Just power down your Phantom and remove it as soon as possible.

Is there any inherent damage if you turn the bird on with the gimbal guard still in place. It obviously stops the camera from doing its warm up exercises. I'm guilty of this once but no damage done. Must be hard on the gimbal motors I'm thinking. Any ideas or info?
I have done this several times-- due to dementia-- no harm--- finally put a REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT RED RIBBON on my gimbal lock-- :D

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 314
I've done it too. Age is my excuse.

Btw, for reference we call it a gimbal lock. A gimbal guard are those aftermarket thingys you strap on the gear to protect the gimbal during landings etc.

I have done this several times-- due to dementia-- no harm--- finally put a REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT RED RIBBON on my gimbal lock-- :D
I hate that dementia :mad:
Ya left your picture out .

I use one like you :)
remove.JPG :p

Reactions: bobmyers
I have done this too many times so because I never store my battery in the bird I decided that a tether from the lens cover/gimbal lock that attaches via alligator clip to battery port would insure that I could not insert the battery without removing the clip and lens cvr. Works great, haven't started the bird with the gimbal locked since.

Yes, I am guilty of this too. And it seems DJI knows many do it because the DJI GO software spits out a message "Please remove Gimbal Lock"....

Yes, I am guilty of this too. And it seems DJI knows many do it because the DJI GO software spits out a message "Please remove Gimbal Lock"....
That must be a new message-- never seen that one:D

I may not have the wording of it exactly right but it surprised me the first time I saw it. I was wondering how the hell does the software know my Gimbal lock is still on there. I used to get a message "Gimbal overload" or something of that sort but now it is more specific.

I may not have the wording of it exactly right but it surprised me the first time I saw it. I was wondering how the hell does the software know my Gimbal lock is still on there. I used to get a message "Gimbal overload" or something of that sort but now it is more specific.
One would assume that the fact that the camera can't do its dance is what initiates the message but often I am not immediately looking at my ipad when I power up the bird and therein lies the problem for me. And if memory serves me (mostly doesn't these days) the message is only on the screen for a second.
So anyhow the clip/tether works.

The gimbal is smart enough to know when the motor is over powered. A message will pop up similar to: "gimbal motor overload" or something of that nature.

I've done this myself a couple times before I got my remove before flight tags.

I believe it's smart enough to know to stop trying and save the motors.

Yep got the red ribbon coming. Should be here by now. Can't remember when I ordered [emoji3]
My problem with the ribbon is I put the bird on the ground camera facing forward and if I don't take off right away I won't see the ribbon, but hey whatever works. As for the gimbal ceasing to attempt to initiate the camera dance, nope, left mine idling for about 3mins and it was cooking when I finally realized it. So find a way to help you remember to remove any lock you have installed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20