Gimbal guard/leg brace incompatible

Reaction score
I searched this topic before making this thread,didn't see many comments on my question.
Anyone else had problems with the camera/gimbal contacting the guard on startup? I have a P3A.
I ordered the one with the DJI cutout logo in the center,as it looked fairly slim as to not obstruct the gimbal.
It doesn't make contact on startup I noticed if you push the guard downward with the slight play you have before installing the zip ties, but it will make contact slightly if you rotate the phantom while powered on.... as in a bank while flying.
Wasn't looking for it to necessarily protect anything on a crash really, don't think much would help. But it would tie the legs together make it more rigid while hand catching or while setting in tall grass on takeoff to avoid the gimbal motor overload prompt. Lord knows I have seen that message too many times from leaving the gimbal lock on accidentally. After about 10 times I think I finally have it etched in my head to remove the **** lock!
Unfortunate this didn't work because it seemed to make the legs much more solid. Wouldn't feel the flex in the legs while hand catching.

The gimbal and camera will not make contact with the gimbal guard , I have one it does good but if you have it on it will not fit in a hard shell backpack

It's suspose to have clearance when installed as to not touch the camera/gimbal at any angle. It does make the legs more rigid and a little harder to hand catch. It's designed to help protect from landings and grass issues helping protect the camera.

It can help you catch it in some conditions and will make the legs a little less flimsy with the zip ties on tight

If I were you I would buy it , it sounds perfect for the conditions in which you will use it

Ya thanks for the comments. I do have it but initially on power up it makes contact unless the guard is shoved down while inserted in the legs. (there is slight adjustment without the zip ties)
But even in the lowest position when the bird is powered and I tilt the phantom, the gimbal arm does in fact touch the guard and interferes with the movement of the arm. The Phantom would have to be in a full bank but it would make contact. Definitely don't want the interference as over time I'm sure it wouldn't be good on the gimbal motor. I can post a video possibly showing this. To trim it as to avoid contact would be removing quite a bit of material. As it hits the top of the guard while installed, not just the edge. Just don't like the interference issue.

And I did discover this with the hardshell backpack but I was ready to modify the foam until I noticed the arm hitting the guard.

Reactions: Mr.Phantom
Ya kinda what I was thinking. Probably wouldn't majority of the time except in certain cases where its banking hard or correcting for the wind.....but I want zero chance of it making contact. Not worth potentially damaging the gimbal.

Reactions: CCDD
I have a very small one that doesn't make contact and I got it for 10 bucks on amazon

Find a friend with a 3D printer he can make you all the gimbal locks lens covers and guards you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The gimbal and camera will not make contact with the gimbal guard , I have one it does good but if you have it on it will not fit in a hard shell backpack
to fix the hard shell back pack... in the bottom of the pack where the camera sits is a soft foam rubber.. just lift it out... its not glued in... then carefully put the drone into the pack and look where the guard meets the hard foam... now just take a sharp knife and cut out the small section of the hard foam the same width of the guard... pull the drone out.. put the soft foam back in the pack.. and you are done... now the hard pack works fine with the guard... might take you 5 minutes... also if you want to use quick disconnect prop guards you can use a soldering iron and work the hard foam back until the arms drop into the slots... just take your time in forming the foam and it will look and work fine...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic