Gimbal guard interferes with gimbal

Compromise. I attached the guard on the underside of the landing gear with the zipties. It's low enough now that the gimbal can't hit it at all, but it still feels pretty solid. Better than nothing

Attachments

• 1455849254443.jpg
    1455849254443.jpg
    942.8 KB · Views: 333
1. Does any one know if the guard has saved any gimbal after crash?

2. I heard gimbal guard creates other issues like holding the landing gear tightly to make it inflexible during landing. Landing with gimbal guard on is always a problem as even a little grass in the field might tip it over breaking the props.

I was never attracted by this kind of gimbal guard and never even thought of buying one.
My gimbal guard saved my camera and gimbal. My bird feel 40'onto blacktop. Both landing gear legs were cracked, the body shell was destroyed, all motors were destroyed and the gimbal mount was broke, however the camera and gimbal didn't have a scratch. Maybe a little luck, but I know the guard setup helped because the legs were cracked, they took a beating.

I would buy one but I have never seen a Pro fall feet first. Always upside-down.

I'm thinking it'll be more useful in the event of a hard landing on uneven terrain. For instance, the field I've been flying in is mostly dirt with clumps of stiff, dead grass all over. I usually land in the adjacent parking lot, but if I were to have to put down in the field, I'll have a little more peace of mind about the gimbal getting skewered by those tuffs of dead grass.

Guards don't do anything but add weight

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I disagree and can say without mine I would have lost my cam and gimbal in a 50 foot coconut tree in july at the beach in Sanibel island.

full speed back over my head into tree, at about 50 foot , watched it fall to swimming pool area and was afraid to look.
amazingly picked it up cleaned it off and everything was fine and was back in the air in minutes.

another day elsewhere , I had no guard and hit tree at about 4 foot high slightly on landing- minor tumble---gimbal separated

been using them and have had several crashes since 2014 with several phantoms.
sold them all with original cams and gimbals even after major crashes.

have one on my p3p, first thing I did!

good luck and have fun flying!

Air,
but when going through the tree branches it helps for real,, I watched..

I'm 99% of wrecks the gimbal guard falls off first and doesn't do anything.

Think about it for Grass and Rocks as most claim.... If your landing on rocks the guards gonna tip you over!

in crash
I'm 99% of wrecks the gimbal guard falls off first and doesn't do anything.

Think about it for Grass and Rocks as most claim.... If your landing on rocks the guards gonna tip you over!

I get what you are saying but I have been using for 2 years and multiple crashes.
I am speaking from experience not supposion.

BTW even if gimbal guard pops off in crash, if the cam and gimbal stays intact it is hard to say guard didn't work.
the inertia needed to remove it may have been absorbed by it(guard) , thus saving the rest of cam/gimbal.

they can and do work, of course not always and not all conditions.
But MY experience says gimbal and cam guards can save your butt sometimes..

I know it has for me into and thru trees and my garage door, and my paved driveway..etc. lol

its all a personal choice.

I also buy all my phantoms used and keep a spare around because stuff happens....

good luck and have fun flying..

Last edited:
Be sure to secure the camera guard with zip ties or velcro. There are a lot of videos out there that say you don't have to use the zip ties supplied, but that's wrong.
The camera should not touch the camera guard on start up or during flight as this can cause damage to the gimbal motors.
And yeah, lot's of P3's crash feet first.

Be sure to secure the camera guard with zip ties or velcro. There are a lot of videos out there that say you don't have to use the zip ties supplied, but that's wrong.
The camera should not touch the camera guard on start up or during flight as this can cause damage to the gimbal motors.
And yeah, lot's of P3's crash feet first.

they bounce too!

With the polar pro gimbal guards , it's not startup that is the problem - startup dance perfectly fine nothing touches . It's when I pan 3/4--
Full pan left or right the gimbal will compensate for the body roll and that's when the camera contacts the polar pro gimbal guard for me . Got some leg extenders from @dynamic3dSolutions and have eliminated the need for gimbal guard . More over clearance for the bird and camera

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 310
Reactions: dynamic3dSolutions
With the polar pro gimbal guards , it's not startup that is the problem - startup dance perfectly fine nothing touches . It's when I pan 3/4--
Full pan left or right the gimbal will compensate for the body roll and that's when the camera contacts the polar pro gimbal guard for me . Got some leg extenders from @dynamic3dSolutions and have eliminated the need for gimbal guard . More over clearance for the bird and camera
The carbon fiber camera guard between the landing legs does more than protect the camera and gimbal. It makes the landing gear more rigid to withstand impacts better. It worked really good in a 40' crash I experienced, through a tree then down to blacktop. Both landing gear legs cracked, but didn't snap off. My camera and gimbal were unscathed, to my surprise. The rest of the drone was trash, cost $306 to fix it. (body shell+4 motors+4 props+landing gear+battery tray+ gimbal mount bracket+$90 labor). Without the carbon fiber camera guard I'm pretty sure the result would have been much different. The landing gear would have buckled, certainly allowing the camera to slam into the blacktop. It would have been totaled, I'm sure. By the way, I also had the KillerRC aluminum Gimbal Protector installed, which also helped.

You will never know unless someone does controlled crash testing with and without.

My decision is not to use one...form my past RC experience I don't see them helping much.

I land either on a flat board I bring or hand catch....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers