Gimbal Gimbal

ianwood

Taco Wrangler
Reaction score
If, like me, you are involuntarily stress testing the Phantom by crashing it on more than one occasion, you may have broken the gimbal mount like I have. I've ordered the 3D printed replacement from Shapeways but because Shapeways parts are "made in the future", i.e. the distant future, I've taken to hastily making a replacement bracket out of aluminum. It ain't pretty but it actually does the trick.

underbelly.jpg

Best of all, if (when) I crash again, the aluminum will bend absorbing some of the energy and unlike the original part, I can simply take it off and bend it back into shape without snapping it like a twig. It does hang a bit low but it still clears at full tilt. BTW, the penny on the paper clip is to counterbalance the ND filter which also works quite handily. I posted that in the Zenmuse forum but it seems like there's only crickets in there.

ghetto-fabbed-gimbal.jpg

I love the idea of the paper clip/penny. That's just the idea I've been looking for.
My ND set-up is a bit heavier than yours-Snake River Protytpe 52mm adapter, and ND400 filter. But, now I have an idea of how to balance the thing, thanks.

havasuphoto said:
I love the idea of the paper clip/penny. That's just the idea I've been looking for.
My ND set-up is a bit heavier than yours-Snake River Protytpe 52mm adapter, and ND400 filter. But, now I have an idea of how to balance the thing, thanks.

Takes a bit to experiment with clip length and how much weight but the gimbal is a natural balance so it makes it easy. The only thing you need to be careful of is if you're at full tilt and leaning a lot to the right, the weight may get in the way of the mount. Fortunately, it's not too common a scenario. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj