gimbal for go pro 3+

Reaction score
Hi, new to the drone scene, have a fc40 and wanting a 3 axis gimbal to get my go pro 3 on, don't want to spend the prices of the zenmuse. Also any way of getting telemetry?

Hi there joop. Welcome to the hobby! Unfortunately for you there isn't really much in the way of three axis gimbals outside of the zenmuse out there at the moment. The only other potential option out at the momment is the new walkers g-3d gimbal for arround £100 or $150 if it is anything like the excellent g-2d gimbal which I use it should work with just a power input although it may be a little tricky when it comes to pitch control unless it works in the same way as the g-2d which just requires the gimbal control to be activated in the nasa assistant and a control wire going between the x1 out and the pitch port on the gimbal. Although there is not much info online about this gimbal online at this point so I can't tell you much else at this point. I know the gimbal requires an adapter to mount it the the phantom but I would of through you'd be looking for pitch control too which I'm not sure could be made to work. If anyone out there has had success with the g-3d gimbal feel free to chime in here! Personally if you're looking for an excellent gimbal for a good price you won't go wrong with the g-2d which is super easy to set up with pitch control too for a fraction of the price of a zenmuse which will also require nodding of your fc40 to some extent. It will just mean you'll have to learn to fly smoothly on your yaw axis ;) as for telemetarty that is dependant on your remote. The stock phantom remote does not offer telemetary out of the box and would require a transmitter upgrade. The simpler way to acomplish this would be to install a 2.4ghz fpv system and some sort of odd such as ezosd which gives live flight information directly to your fpv monitor such as battery voltage/altitude etc. Although things are starting to get expensive at this point. Hope this helps. Feel free to drop me a message if you have any more questions!

+1

I have the Walkera G2D in the lightest plastic version. It works just out of the box with its own controller. But indeed a bit tricky to get the remote tilt function to work properly. But once set up, it just works although the plastic isn't as sturdy as metal and it starts to vibrate with a lot of wind speed. Other then that it's great value for 59Euros incl. shipping form China.

The FC40 with stock propellors is quite nose stable. It doesn't really need a 3 axis gimbal to get smooth pictures, only smooth operating. With a P2 with 9" props the yaw compensation is less smooth and you could see slight yawing movement in your footage (depending on wind conditions). At least that's the difference I noticed between my FC40 with stock props and my P2 with stock props. I tried the 9" on the FC40 but didn't like the result.

For telemetry you have to install a IOSD (mini) and a PMU upgrade board (quite simple DIY soldering). However, to see the IOSD data you need also to install a 2.4 or 1.2 GHz transmitter on the Phantom and a receiver on the ground end, connected to a display or goggles. For the PMU and IOSD Mini you will spend around 120Euro or Dollar together. There's a big choice in 1.2 and 2.4 FPV systems that start from 75Euro for a Tx/Rx set, screens come for many different prices starting at 50Euro, you only need 640x480 resolution which is very low cost nowadays. Car backup monitors are also fine. Some even come with a build in DVR.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers