Gimbal Flopping to the right!

Reaction score
Is it normal for the gimbal to fall or flop to the right a couple of times while shooting in higher winds? 15-20mph.

"Squeeky" Gimble on P4

Look at the video I posted about this earlier. The times of the flopping are there.

I've posted several times about my problem with the gimbal doing what you are describing. The high wind, causing the drone to angle over in order to fight it, was making this problem apparent. I could go up to 400' to slowly pan around when the gimbal would give way while pointing certain directions. When it was happening, I could see the red lights in the video so I know it was angled into the wind when it was occurring.

Also, I was orbiting a football stadium counterclockwise at 400' on a windy day, and it wouldn't stop flopping. I turned it clockwise, and the problem stopped. Also, the warning message on the screen when it occurs is "Warning Gimbal Roll reached end point" which even shows on the flight record area of the DJI Go App when it occurs.

SO.....................like I had stated in the other threads, I noticed that my camera hanged to the right as you are looking at the front of the bird when I saw other P4s in pics and vides where the camera is relatively level when powered down. I investigated the problem keeping it to the right when I noticed that the ribbon cable coming down from the base of the drone, was bowed outward instead of running down and then a smooth 90 degree bend to the left. I pushed it in, kept the gimbal to the right to naturally bend the ribbon cable in an attempt to take the tension out, and I calibrated the gimbal, the IMU and reconnected the RC as per DJI techs. (the pushing-in of the ribbon was unknown to them so that was my idea)

After I did that, I haven't had any problem with my gimbal, and not even in strong winds. I even tested it clockwise and counterclockwise, flying right/left first, etc, but no problems.......so far.

I do have a "screeching" sound for about a second on the last movement of the gimbal when it boots up but it doesn't make any noise when you move the bird around, allowing for the gimbal to move. So far, I'm happy so I won't turn it in for any service until I have any other problems which may pop up.

Good luck.

"Squeeky" Gimble on P4

Look at the video I posted about this earlier. The times of the flopping are there.

I've posted several times about my problem with the gimbal doing what you are describing. The high wind, causing the drone to angle over in order to fight it, was making this problem apparent. I could go up to 400' to slowly pan around when the gimbal would give way while pointing certain directions. When it was happening, I could see the red lights in the video so I know it was angled into the wind when it was occurring.

Also, I was orbiting a football stadium counterclockwise at 400' on a windy day, and it wouldn't stop flopping. I turned it clockwise, and the problem stopped. Also, the warning message on the screen when it occurs is "Warning Gimbal Roll reached end point" which even shows on the flight record area of the DJI Go App when it occurs.

SO.....................like I had stated in the other threads, I noticed that my camera hanged to the right as you are looking at the front of the bird when I saw other P4s in pics and vides where the camera is relatively level when powered down. I investigated the problem keeping it to the right when I noticed that the ribbon cable coming down from the base of the drone, was bowed outward instead of running down and then a smooth 90 degree bend to the left. I pushed it in, kept the gimbal to the right to naturally bend the ribbon cable in an attempt to take the tension out, and I calibrated the gimbal, the IMU and reconnected the RC as per DJI techs. (the pushing-in of the ribbon was unknown to them so that was my idea)

After I did that, I haven't had any problem with my gimbal, and not even in strong winds. I even tested it clockwise and counterclockwise, flying right/left first, etc, but no problems.......so far.

I do have a "screeching" sound for about a second on the last movement of the gimbal when it boots up but it doesn't make any noise when you move the bird around, allowing for the gimbal to move. So far, I'm happy so I won't turn it in for any service until I have any other problems which may pop up.

Good luck.
Thanks for the detailed reply back. It's weird I don't even have to be moving when this issue happens. When I fly straight up once I hit about 300 feet that's when it will do it a couple of times. I'll have to try to do the gimbal recalibration. It seems to be random when it does do it, not predictable at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair