Gimbal Flips mid air

Reaction score
I have this gimbal problem which I first thought was a mechanical issue but it seems more like a firmware problem.
The error says 'gimbal movement limit reached'.
Here's a video I recorded showing the issue:
I went to the store where I bought it and they let me test out a brand new one. Well guess what, the same problem occured.
After every calibration you can possibly think of it didnt solutionize the problem.
I wrote a few posts about this on the dji forum, but no luck with a clear answer.
The problem is(typing again..) when you fly with your right side of the drone against some wind(not much) it will flip.
It even happens in P Mode...
So if this happens during p mode, there must be something wrong with the firmware or...a design flaw with the gimbal not being strong enough.
My old p3p doestn do this and my friends p4 standard neither.

So if any of you can try fying with your rightside against the wind, tell me what happens. You need to be atleast about 70 meters up.

Hope someone reaches out because I love the p4p but if this issue remains I will send it back.

Regrds,

Armando

Please upload a video of the flight recording playing on your device so we can see what your stick movements and speed was. Looks to me like you are hitting a physical limitation in the gimbal movement at too high of an angle or change. The P3P and P4 can't go as fast as the P4pro can unless you change to sport/atti mode, so unless you were going 35mph or so on the p3p and P4 in the same tests, it really isn't apples to apples.

Please upload a video of the flight recording playing on your device so we can see what your stick movements and speed was. Looks to me like you are hitting a physical limitation in the gimbal movement at too high of an angle or change. The P3P and P4 can't go as fast as the P4pro can unless you change to sport/atti mode, so unless you were going 35mph or so on the p3p and P4 in the same tests, it really isn't apples to apples.

Thanks for replying. I only get this issue when I fly with the right side against some wind with full throttle(not sportmode)
I dont understand why the gimbal would get this issue because the older drones dont get it. Im going against some wind so it isnt going full throttle.

Someone else on youtube shows the same issue:

Someone else on youtube shows the same issue:
That issue is totally different and appears to be something physically wrong with the gimbal.

Thanks for replying. I only get this issue when I fly with the right side against some wind with full throttle(not sportmode)
I dont understand why the gimbal would get this issue because the older drones dont get it. Im going against some wind so it isnt going full throttle.
I'd find it hard to believe a P3P or P4 would not have the same issue when going 35-40mph. In excessive maneuvers or in excessive winds, there are limitations as to what the gimbal can do. Only suggestion I can make is to slow it down, or buy an inspire 2 where it has a gimbal capable of more extreme moves.

Can you upload a video please of the flight from your device so that we can see the stick movements? Maybe I'm incorrect and the stick movements aren't as dramatic as the video makes it look, but seeing the video will help determine.

Haven't we all seen this before in our flights? I know I have.
Hi bkushner, thanks for replying.
It could be true yes, but did you experience it in P mode too?
Sport mode is understandable, but p mode I do find a bit strange.
rgrds,

Yes...I out a video up a long time ago when it first happened and everyone said the same thing. I had one the other night flying backwards and cocked to the side it really did it bad. I will post in a bit. I think it's the angle of motion and then the wind hitting it. Oh and yes I was in P mode.

Yes...I out a video up a long time ago when it first happened and everyone said the same thing. I had one the other night flying backwards and cocked to the side it really did it bad. I will post in a bit. I think it's the angle of motion and then the wind hitting it. Oh and yes I was in P mode.
ah ok sounds a lot like a design flaw to me. Hope a firmware can update it..

I have this gimbal problem which I first thought was a mechanical issue but it seems more like a firmware problem.
I went to the store where I bought it and they let me test out a brand new one. Well guess what, the same problem occured.
After every calibration you can possibly think of it didnt solutionize the problem.
I wrote a few posts about this on the dji forum, but no luck with a clear answer.
The problem is(typing again..) when you fly with your right side of the drone against some wind(not much) it will flip.
So if this happens during p mode, there must be something wrong with the firmware or...a design flaw with the gimbal not being strong enough.

So if any of you can try fying with your rightside against the wind, tell me what happens. You need to be atleast about 70 meters up.

Hope someone reaches out because I love the p4p but if this issue remains I will send it back.

Regrds,

Armando
I have exactly the same problem with my P4 Pro. DJI claims to have fixed it with the latest FW, and it does seem better, but still does it occasionally. Always the same conditions -- moving sideways at high (not sport) speed, camera looking down at about 45º or so. Chats with DJI produced the same result as any chat with DJI support -- no satisfaction at all, just a series of instructions to recalibrate this and that, none of which work.

Reactions: armando89

Regrds,

Armando
Question, is the gimbal flipping or the whole drone flipping upside down? Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Ha. Happened on my first flight. I about S&$!

My mechanical mind told me it was aligned with the gimbal pan. Into a turn is when mine failed. So I turned pan off in the gimbal settings and it's never happened again.

I think it's a safety trigger built into the gimbal just gone wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Gimbal flip is a actually a misnomer. The gimbal is hitting a hard stop at the extreme of its ability to compensate for aircraft angle from horizontal, and then the camera is actually flipping away from the hard stop. When it happens while turning left, the camera tips 45° clockwise as it bounces off the stop.

Thanks for the clarification. I am searching for answers as to why a Phantom can flip over. So far, no one knows why or how it can be done unless there is an onboard component failure.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

I'm having the same problem after I send my P4P back to DJI to be fix for the gimbal horizon drift. Most of my videos are unusable cause I still having the horizon tilt issue (worsened) plus the sudden flip of the gimbal during right lateral flights. I'm sending it back again to DJI, very disappointed with the performance of this gimbal, I never experience nothing like this on neither of my P2P GoPro and P3P

Reactions: bb0bbby
I'm having the same problem after I send my P4P back to DJI to be fix for the gimbal horizon drift. Most of my videos are unusable cause I still having the horizon tilt issue (worsened) plus the sudden flip of the gimbal during right lateral flights. I'm sending it back again to DJI, very disappointed with the performance of this gimbal, I never experience nothing like this on neither of my P2P GoPro and P3P
I feel you man, best thing I do is to avoid flying the right side against the wind.
Hope they can fix yours. I havent send mine yet. Praying for an update to fix it.
I fear its a design flaw.

Left turns are the trigger for the camera flips at over 30mph. Even mild left turns. Flying with OA on minimizes them, as it keeps speed below 30mph. Horizon drift is best corrected by flying sideways in the opposite direction until it straightens, as adjusting the gimbal tilt only makes level shots crooked. There is no doubt that the P4P gimbal is not as robust as the P4 and P3 gimbals. I'm on my 5th P4P and it still has some of the same issues. The video glitches in 4K 60fps are the worst. They last for 30 frames and are totally random in frequency, and happen with all varieties of approved microSD cards. The incessant high wind warnings which block the FPV view are also a constant annoyance that have to be acknowledged to remove them, only to have them reappear! The P4P camera itself is a major improvement, as is the 4.3 mile range in Auto 5.8Ghz and the improved real 25 minute battery life at 30mph with OAS! Camera and gimbal and app still need tweaking!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj