Gimbal dancing in flight.

Reaction score
I've read here a lot of people have horizon drift issue. As i learned today (second flight with new P4P) i also have this stupid problem which company as big as dji shouldn't allow itself to have. It drifts on all 4 sides.

Below is the video of P4P tested indoor on table which shows just how much my gimbal dances around in 4 positions.

Did cold calibration of IMU, and gimbal right after that. More than one gimbal calibration... Everything stays the same.

Any solution maybe? C2+wheel and manual roll adjust is not an option.

Had P3P before this and it worked like a charm. Calibrated gimbal once in a year, flew over 900km in 12 or so months.

I think it is FW issue, it is over-compesating. Instead of staying *horizon level* when Phantom tilts it gets that slight and nasty angle to the other side of the drones tilt.

which company as big as dji shouldn't allow itself to have
It's frustrating, but that's the price to be on the "cutting edge". I'm sure they will get to it soon with a firmware fix.

Have you checked your Gimbal Pitch and Speed settings. Last night I was fiddling with these settings and noticed it is reduces the speed of the gimbal to create smoothness.

Gimbal Pitch should be at around 50 or 60, lower number means slower movement. I changed mine to 10
Gimbal Pitch smoothness increase to 25 - higher is slower.

After I changed these settings my Gimbal started to roll in a similar way in your video.

Last edited:
Playing with it right now.

What are your settings when it works fine, without roll problem?

I have to power up my aircraft but I think the gimbal pitch was set to 50 and the smoothness was set to 5. You also have a reset settings and that will load the default values.

I am going to power up my aircraft and provide an screen shot.

Thank you man, but i think its no use, i just tried different settings in options you suggested but problem persists, even with full factory settings.

here is an screen shot of my settings. I do not have the issue of what you show on your video.

File Feb 01, 9 12 37 AM.png

here is an screen shot of the firmware and DJI Go App I am currently running.

File Feb 01, 9 12 21 AM.png

Well, you have one FW backwards from mine. I have latest FW, bought Phantom with it. I wonder...

Maybe ill try to downgrade my FW and see whats happening.
Thank you man! :)

Actually there are 2 FW ahead of mine, I'm running V 01.01.0201.

There is a fw V 01.01.0203 and V 01.02.0304 ahead of mine. It is one of those " if ain't broke don't fix it " situations for me. I know a few members in the forum are going to disagree with me when it comes to fw updates, however my aircraft is flying like a charm hence do not see the need for the fw update at this point.

Same with my old P4, I was not running the latest and did not have any problems. That thing flies like a plane, amazingly smooth. I got to know that aircraft like I know the caramel color in a single barrel with apple brandy sipped over the blush of the morning sunshine, Ja Ja.

I have to agree with you completely.

Before i bought P4P i had P3P which i have boutgh at the end of February 2016. and dealer updated FW on the day i bought it. It flew flawlessly, with nailed gimbal and horizon. I never had the need to update anything on that Phantom, and i didnt for the same reason as you: " if ain't broke don't fix it".
In a year of me flying it with more than 900km i had to calibrate gimbal once and calibrate IMU once, and thats it from me touching anything about that Phantom.

I have to agree with you completely.

Before i bought P4P i had P3P which i have boutgh at the end of February 2016. and dealer updated FW on the day i bought it. It flew flawlessly, with nailed gimbal and horizon. I never had the need to update anything on that Phantom, and i didnt for the same reason as you: " if ain't broke don't fix it".
In a year of me flying it with more than 900km i had to calibrate gimbal once and calibrate IMU once, and thats it from me touching anything about that Phantom.

I felt bad when I sold my old P3P because, like you, I never ran any updates and I put that aircraft thru the toughest gust wind conditions and never had a problem. Looking back now I am having second thoughts selling my old P4:

1- Never ran any updates and she flies smoothly. No issues whatsoever.
2- What if after I sell my old P4 I start having issues with my new P4PRO, time will tell.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj