Gimbal damaged. Can it be repaired?

Reaction score
My Phantom (Vision 2+) took a small drop but onto pavement and the jolt was enough to damage the gimbal. It all looked fine at first, started up and gimbal set camera straight into position. Next flight attempt I heard a small buzzing and the gimbal would not go up or down via the app. One of the motors on it is slightly loose.
Obviously I can go buy a new gimbal/camera setup for $679.00 but is there another option for a lesser price? Send it to Hong Kong and hope to get it back by Christmas? Has anyone had one repaired? :crossesfingers:

DJI fixed my broken ribbon cable for free. It only had to go to LA for a little over a month..

There was a post a few days ago about someone that had a repair done in about 2 weeks so maybe they've caught up?

4ever9er said:
My Phantom (Vision 2+) took a small drop but onto pavement and the jolt was enough to damage the gimbal. It all looked fine at first, started up and gimbal set camera straight into position. Next flight attempt I heard a small buzzing and the gimbal would not go up or down via the app. One of the motors on it is slightly loose.
Obviously I can go buy a new gimbal/camera setup for $679.00 but is there another option for a lesser price? Send it to Hong Kong and hope to get it back by Christmas? Has anyone had one repaired? :crossesfingers:

I suspect your camera has come loose on one of its axis. Search forum for the thread "Camera Tilt RESOLVED" and you should find info that prove helpful.

ryanhoelzer said:
DJI fixed my broken ribbon cable for free. It only had to go to LA for a little over a month..

There was a post a few days ago about someone that had a repair done in about 2 weeks so maybe they've caught up?

Did you just call DJI and they told you where to send it? I wonder if they'll have me send just the unit or the entire Phantom.

I think they will want the entire unit back and might replace it with a new one.

I have heard from a lot of guys that have great results with DJI taking care of it.

They wanted the whole unit. I think I saw someone else post about just sending the gimbal/camera. If they'd let you do that you could buy a replacement and then sell it as used when you got yours back. Should be able to get close to full price..

Please keep us up to date on what happens. I have a messed up gimbal sitting on my first Phantom+. I bought a second Vision+ when I screwed up the first, as it was nigh impossible to get them repaired at the time. But if DJI is catching up with repairs, I might try to get it repaired...

i will get my vision + back tomorrow after it spent 30 days in los angeles being repaired. they did the repair for free even though i said the crash was my fault. i bought a phantom v1.2 to fly while the vision + was away for repair. (from ebay used) so now i got 2 birds and i am thinking how can i fly both at the same time. :)

Hate to hear about camera and gimbal damage. I'm not sure if it would have helped in any of your situations, but you might want to check out my plexiglass gimbal guard, or fastsmiles carbon fiber one. Again, this really only helps in specific cases of hard landings and crashes. Most uncontrolled crashes are just too punishing for protection to do to much. Simply offering an option. The link is in my signature. You can do a search for fastsmiles carbon fiber guard, if you want to go that route.

The letter in the box said they replaced mine vs fixing it. So maybe the ribbon cables are hard for even them to get..

hey guys i just crashed my bird. for some reason when i took off it decided to go left it felt like i had no control. i was only 2 meters high and so i had to cut off the motors to avoid hitting a tiny cliff. The crash did not seem bad at all but the camera was off and the black ribbon was ripped. this is so frustrating because i fixed the x axis alignment yesterday and the same thing happened today. i cant believe how fragile these things are and i dot know what to do. will they fix it for me?? or will they claim i crashed it? i baught mine from a dealer in vancouver Canada about a month ago.

I am shipping mine out to DJI in Hollywood today and he said the turnaround repair time is 4 weeks (plus shipping time).
I'm hoping I get lucky with a quicker repair time as I have contracts to fill soon.

Don't count on much in the way of support from DJI. A pretty typical Chinese operation wherein once they have your money you just get in line and take it as it comes. My P2V+ lost FPV capability within the first 4 hours of flight. Got an RMA from DJI, sent it back. Been 10 days since they received it, and no acknowledgement of receipt by DJI. FedEx shows a signature, but they have a couple of steps before your 4 week wait begins. First they log receipt, and notify you. Then they put it into the formal repair queue, which is when the 4 weeks begins. This is really piss poor customer service, but they have you over a barrel.

By the way, the FPV issue hit a goodly number of P2V+ machines...probably software, but DJI was sure in no hurry to fix it.

Brutal people to do business with.

Frankly... You should be grateful they are providing you with a free repair. They are selling 20k a month. How many people do you think are not reading the manual and just slamming their phantom into the ground? 6 weeks might suck, but they are under no obligation to provide a repair at allz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31