Gimbal Control Issues

Reaction score
After having received my new P2V+ (a replacement for the one that was lost to ESC failures), I set the bird and RC up with the current assistant(s) software(s) like we all have before. Everything was "5 by 5" except that the gimbal was moving really weirdly. I searched the DJI site and after finding no solution, looked here. This is an old post from MoparBob. I followed the instructions and Bob's advice fixed my gimbal issue completely. If I hadn't found this post, I would have sent the bird back. I am re-posting this here so that it"s easier for the next pilot to find. Thank you MoparBob!!!!

Problem Solved: Let me Explain. I received my new RC yesterday and proceeded to follow the instructions on setting it up that are in this forum in many places. I ended up with a totally screwed up tilt mechanism just like it has been described in this post. I then proceeded to pull the pieces together that others say they had success with. This is what I did and now everything works perfectly. Even the gimbal tilt speed works as hoped. That is, the more you rotate it the faster the tilt happens. So you can now not only control the tilt from the RC but you can control the speed at which it tilts. This is great **** and worth the $100 for the new RC. Anyway, here is a recap:

1. Un-install the current version of the RC Assistant and then re-install it from the DJI website. I don't know why, but this is key to getting it to work. My guess is that DJI made some additional changes to the 1.1 version with out telling anyone. That said, it seems like a critical step.

2. Bind the new RC to the Phantom. Follow the steps in the Phantom Manual version 1.6. Its simple and I think different from what others have displayed on YouTube.

3. Turn on the RC and plug it into the PC. Open up the recently installed RC Assistant and do the calibration on the sticks as noted in the Assistant but DO NOT press FINISH yet. Now the next step is critical. Even though the RC Assistant says not to do the calibration on the X1 (the Tilt Control Wheel), you have to do it. Select the X1 wheel and rotate it several times in both directions then let it come to rest in the neutral position. Now press Finish.

4. Disconnect the RC from the PC and turn off the RC Assistant.

5. Turn on the Phantom, and then connect to PC. Start up the Phantom Assistant. It should be the latest version 3.6.

6. Make sure you select the correct RC option. In our case it should be the "Upgrade" version.

7. Repeat the calibration process for the left/right sticks and press Finish.

8.Then select the Calibration START button under the X1 control, rotate the tilt wheel several times in both directions then let it come to rest in the neutral position. Then press Finish.

9. Power down the Phantom, shutdown the Assistant. disconnect the PC from the Phantom.

10, Restart the Phantom and it should be golden.

I hope I didn't leave anything out, but these are the steps that worked for me. On another note (bitching time). I have developed computer software for over 35 years. One thing you never ever do, is release any changes to the software without identifying it as a new release number. Even when the software is in the various stages of testing. Yet, it appears DJI has done this in the past and continues to do so now. They ought to fire the stupid *** that is managing their software program......end of rant.

What camera firmware and dji app version are you currently using?

Was your quad replaced by dji?

Thanks for posting this. I had upgraded to 3.10 firmware and all was well for me other than a sluggish, jerky gimbal when raising it back up to the horizon, I had only flown indoors in a good size sports club since the upgrade. Last night after seeing the release by DJI to downgrade to 3.08 firmware and I downloaded a fresh copy of Phantom Assist from the DJI site. It went well (I did notice the "upgrade" button did not read upgrade, but pgrade with a symbol after the letter e that I could not read). After the firmware downgrade I ran RC Assist (version already on my computer) and then calibrated the RC Transmitter in Phantom Assist. I still had the slow jerky gimbal movement when I raised the gimbal. During the calibration in Phantom Assist the X1 roller moved fine on the screen in the down movement, however it was slow and jerky on the screen and gimbal when moving up. It would not go up full range on the computer screen and jerked about on the up movement. I thought this was the start of gimbal issues.

I read your post his morning, I followed all the steps listed and voila the gimbal is back to normal. Thanks for taking the time to post the solution.

David

What camera firmware and dji app version are you currently using?

Was your quad replaced by dji?

The latest camera firmware, sorry don't recall the version. It's the one posted on DJI's site right now. The Assistant software is 3.8.

Both DJI and B&H Photo gave me RMA's. I choose to return it to B&H. This is from them. They said that this has the latest ESC's. I haven't checked them myself yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20