Gimbal Clamp and Travel

Reaction score
Travel for the first time with Phantom 2 Vision+ with a Go Professional Hard Case to California. When I opened the case the gimbal case fell had fell off in the case. Thought it was just a fluke, but youtube'd and compared pictures to make sure I was doing it right and it appeared I did. On the flight back it happened again.

Has that happened to you? Do you folks just zip it down or use rubber bands? If you have better method in securing the gimbal lock for travel let me know.

Are you sure you are pushing it fully on? Sometimes it catches and doesn't go on all the way. When mine is on it is quite firm, and I can't imagine it falling out when in a case.

It's pretty tight.

I like the foam Idea. I'll just add a foam piece the next time I travel.

There's a little button on the bottom of the base for the camera. I think it snaps stills or something? Anyway the Gimbal Clamp can bump into that button and fail to slide on all the way. Bit tricky to work it past that button sometimes. I'm headed to CES2015. Got the drone all packed up in my back pack. Not nearly as solid as the hard plastic case but it travels better that way. I think a last minute bit of foam is a great idea though. Thanks for the tip.

Jpooner808 said:
Travel for the first time with Phantom 2 Vision+ with a Go Professional Hard Case to California. When I opened the case the gimbal case fell had fell off in the case. Thought it was just a fluke, but youtube'd and compared pictures to make sure I was doing it right and it appeared I did. On the flight back it happened again.

Has that happened to you? Do you folks just zip it down or use rubber bands? If you have better method in securing the gimbal lock for travel let me know.

Just use pick and pluck foam keeps all in place
12 flights now no issues at all

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 514
skyhighdiver said:
Jpooner808 said:

Just use pick and pluck foam keeps all in place
12 flights now no issues at all

Good idea, I have a cutout in the bottom of my case holding everything in check.

Attachments

• case.jpg
    case.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 435
:D
I just got back from Hawaii. Took the bird in a GoProfessional Backpack as carry-on. No problem with my camera or gimbal as I have implimented the foam between fastsmiles camera guard and the gimbal lock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 456
Did you carry on or check in?
If you check in, then there might of been an issue with pressure.
Some hard cases are water proof meaning that air is sealed. Depending on where you take off and land, there is an altitude difference and can cause the hard case to expand and collapse. If it collapses, it can press onto the clamp and gimbal and cause the clamp to pop off. I'm not %100 on this happening but I know other users on this forum have seen the cases expand/collapse when landed.

For those who travel..
If you do check in, then remove the pressure seal.
Its best to have it carry on as you have lipos.

Also, I use a zip tie when I trek just to make sure the clamp doesn't fall off.

Mako79 said:
Did you carry on or check in?
If you check in, then there might of been an issue with pressure.
Some hard cases are water proof meaning that air is sealed. Depending on where you take off and land, there is an altitude difference and can cause the hard case to expand and collapse. If it collapses, it can press onto the clamp and gimbal and cause the clamp to pop off. I'm not %100 on this happening but I know other users on this forum have seen the cases expand/collapse when landed.

For those who travel..
If you do check in, then remove the pressure seal.
Its best to have it carry on as you have lipos.

Also, I use a zip tie when I trek just to make sure the clamp doesn't fall off.
Tradecraft cases will do that. Even with carry-on, the O ring (valve by handle) must be removed or the case will be compressed upon descent.
Most carriers will not allow lipos to be carried in cargo unless they're installed in the device. I would'nt trust my bird to the TSA. Probably a fly-a-way. :lol:

Fplvert said:
I just got back from Hawaii. Took the bird in a GoProfessional Backpack as carry-on. No problem with my camera or gimbal as I have implimented the foam between fastsmiles camera guard and the gimbal lock.

How did you make that sun shade? Very nice.

Traveled many times with it in a hard case, gimbal clamp as come loose 100% of the times.

Also when wheeling the case on tarmac it will come off :)

Still works though

Fplvert said:
I like it :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4