Gimbal / Camera savers? Do they work?

The gimbal design is very similar to the P2V+ Version 3 gimbal. The separation and ribbon tear still occurs from the sudden stop which results in inertia. Think of it as a seat belt.

You can make your own...
2 bends and some double sided tape...
Its never been tested though, but its there as a peace of mind.
20150511_180957.jpg

The gimbal design is very similar to the P2V+ Version 3 gimbal. The separation and ribbon tear still occurs from the sudden stop which results in inertia. Think of it as a seat belt.

You can make your own...
2 bends and some double sided tape...
Its never been tested though, but its there as a peace of mind.
20150511_180957.jpg

I think I'd prefer to buy an aluminium saver over double sided tape!

Also.. I really can't be bothered to make something - it doesn't inspire me putting tape all over a P3

.. If you pay out for a P3 - You must be prepared to pay for some nice peripherals too

Reactions: tracker_usmc
I think I'd prefer to buy an aluminium saver over double sided tape!

Also.. I really can't be bothered to make something - it doesn't inspire me putting tape all over a P3

.. If you pay out for a P3 - You must be prepared to pay for some nice peripherals too

Look closely, it is aluminium... "2 bends and double sided tape" was just a summarisation to give you the connotation on how simple and effective. The DIY protector cost me 2 minutes vs the $70 Killer RC version and probably just as effective.

Rather than understanding or learning, you just flash cash. "Can't be bothered to make something" is the ironic example of where the "hobby" industry is heading - everything is solved with money :).

Reactions: kirk2579
Look closely, it is aluminium... "2 bends and double sided tape" was just a summarisation to give you the connotation on how simple and effective. The DIY protector cost me 2 minutes vs the $70 Killer RC version and probably just as effective.

Rather than understanding or learning, you just flash cash. "Can't be bothered to make something" is the ironic example of where the "hobby" industry is heading - everything is solved with money :).

It also looks like it took two minutes..

& yes I'd rather buy something that looks the part!

I design / engineer / construct for a living.. if I wasted my time doing everything myself I wouldn't have time for many of my hobbies! (& running my own business that pays for all these & a lot more)

So yes - I think you'll find I'm as entitled to my opinion & how I spend my time as you are yours!

Just saying..

I feed chooks for living :)

You design, engineer and construct - this would be right up your alley :) . It's like a 3 hat chef who comes home to cook 2 minute noodles.

Anyways - back on topic. My 'opinion' just wanted to let other users know that there are alternatives.

Reactions: ELCHEAPO

$70??? I bought mine from Killer RC for $47. I'm not knocking your DYI but if I'm paying over $1,000 for a P3 then I want a well made product that's not going to come off to protect my P3.

Let's hope the P4 is designed in such a way that these types of add-ons are not required to protect the all too fragile gimbals that DJI now produces.

$70??? I bought mine from Killer RC for $47. I'm not knocking your DYI but if I'm paying over $1,000 for a P3 then I want a well made product that's not going to come off to protect my P3.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm from downunder.. Our exchange rate isn't doing so good. Last I checked $47.99 USD = $70 AUD. I'd rather that $70 go to another battery.

Anyways, if my gimbal protector comes off then that means it was involved in a very hard crash. In that case forget about saving your gimbal let alone your phantom 3.

A lot of users don't know that the best way to save the gimbal is to remove the anti drop pins (replace with loose cable ties).
Back in the P2V+ days, it was either crash with a wonky-bent working camera or crash with a torn ribbon cable (impossible to find and this why we have gimbal savers). If you left your anti-drop pins on, the inertia and the metal X frame mount caused the camera to tear clean off. Taking off the anti drop pins allowed the camera and gimbal to 'pop' off from the rubber mounts.
There is however adverse effects in removing the pins - safety.

DJI has now changed the X frame to plastic. If you notice now, after a crash, the X frame arm with the pins installed snaps cleanly and the camera and gimbal comes off. This helps minimise the inertia, but may/may not prevent the separation of camera and gimbal.

Last edited:
I used some fishing line and tied it loosely in the two areas with out the anti-drop pins in them. Not sure or not, if just having the two tied in would hold the gimbal on, and limit damage in a crash. Figure any little bits helps.

Mark.

I have this installed on mine
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1446375988.120550.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1446376008.034588.jpg

My camera and black wire were completely detached. Arm is twisted and wire severed. Been told I need to buy new camera &550. Can I purchase new arm and black wire and save money. ???

Anyone complete a comparison of these products... ? Want to buy one. Several products ranging from $47 - $9... Look pretty similar. Don't want to pay more for something if it the same.

I put on the bay $18 version. Nice install no issues. They did forget the rubber button but sent it right away when I asked. Thankfully I've not crashed to really have to test the unit. I suspect they are all made by the same place and rebranded....

Feels good to have some protection. I get there is no real protection for a serious fall.

Mark.

I am not thinking these really help much, from the pictures I have seen of crashed phantoms it looks like any real crash is going to result in damage. It may help in some minor crashes, but even then not sure what the theory is. The inertia of a sudden drop is the same to the gimbal/camera. It could stop some pokey thing from hitting them, but what are the odds of that? Some I have seen just slide between the skids, so they don't add any extra strength to the skids and I expect them to fall out on impact. The ones that lock the skids may take away from the springiness and actually increase the forces on the gimbal.

Finally it seems like a pretty simple add that DJI could easily incorporate if it had merit. When I did engineering work we looked at the aftermarket stuff for merit and rarely found anything that was just gimmicky for profit; however there seems to be a large customer base that feels the need to customize and or protect products. Look at the stick on screen savers, I have be free of them for over 5 years and enjoy better touch response and a clear screen with no scratches and I keep my keys in my pocket with them!

Anyone complete a comparison of these products... ? Want to buy one. Several products ranging from $47 - $9... Look pretty similar. Don't want to pay more for something if it the same.

I originally ordered a $20 one from Amazon. The protector piece was a little too long. I just dropped it off at UPS to return to Amazon. Now another review on the same one is saying what I observed.

So I ordered the killer RC one and it is perfect. It is made better too and the plastic bumper has a nipple on it that is used to hold it to the bracket. The Amazon cheap one was just a very thin plastic sticker. So I would say killer RC all the way. I tried the cheap way out.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31