Gimbal-camera flat wire broken

Reaction score
Before I could even fly my new Pahtom Vision 2 Plus i managed to break the camera-gimbal flat wire. I brought it in a custom made case on a flight, and when I arrived the gimbal support had fallen off, the camera had come loose from the gimbal and the flat wire was broken. I uploaded a picture for your viewing pleasure.

I didn't study it much before I took it on that flight, so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be able to just pull the camera part out of the gimbal. And I'm not sure about the routing of the flat wire either, but my best guess is that the excess wiring is supposed to be twisted a couple of turns around the camera part that connects to the gimbal.

Could someone please check theirs and advice me on this?

Now I wonder how to get this fixed, sending it back to DJI is not a preferred option and I bought the thing from a US dealer and had it sent half way around the globe to Asia, then took it on that tragic flight to Europe. I don't really want to send the thing back, but obviously I need it fixed.

Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

• Broken_Wire.jpg
    Broken_Wire.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 1,224
Dirty Bird said:
Did you have the gimbal lock installed during transport?

Yes of course, but that piece of plastic is a joke and it will easily fall off during inflight turbulence and/or the usual handling of checked in luggage. That hardcase was custom fitted for the Phantom, but too big and heavy to carry-on. So no choice but to check it in.

If and when I get this fixed I know that the camera/gimbal needs to be padded with something soft even with the gimbal lock installed because it *will* fall off.

Too bad I didn't even get to break my own quad myself :(

Just checking. No doubt that sucks. I was thinking of getting a piece of soft foam and placing it into my case so it imposes just a tiny bit of pressure on the camera to keep it from vibrating around.

that sucks, chjohans.. no easy solution to that. However, I would be amazed beyond belief if there was any amount of turbulence that could shake a properly installed gimbal clamp off - and not destroy the drone in the process.

Seriously... that thing would out-last the rubber mounts, the plastic stops, and likely even the legs themselves. I just don't believe that the clamp was on properly. It is SNUG in all directions.

Regardless, the damage was done. Anyway, what I do, is I use memory foam and support the gimbal from all sides around the legs.

It is sadly a very fragile thing. Maybe a look at this video shows the path of the ribbons well enough for you?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-tNuF2RaKM[/youtube]

Good luck.

Dirty Bird said:
Just checking. No doubt that sucks. I was thinking of getting a piece of soft foam and placing it into my case so it imposes just a tiny bit of pressure on the camera to keep it from vibrating around.

Well, if I had it installed or not would not really have made any difference after it was already broken :)

Yes, your suggestion is a good advise. That's what I will do if and when I eventually get this fixed.

In the mean time I've ordered a Walkera QR X350 Pro to have something to play with :)

Jayson Hanes said:
that sucks, chjohans.. no easy solution to that. However, I would be amazed beyond belief if there was any amount of turbulence that could shake a properly installed gimbal clamp off - and not destroy the drone in the process.

Seriously... that thing would out-last the rubber mounts, the plastic stops, and likely even the legs themselves. I just don't believe that the clamp was on properly. It is SNUG in all directions.

Regardless, the damage was done. Anyway, what I do, is I use memory foam and support the gimbal from all sides around the legs.

It is sadly a very fragile thing. Maybe a look at this video shows the path of the ribbons well enough for you?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-tNuF2RaKM[/youtube]

Good luck.

Thanks for the video, much appreciated!

My gimbal clamp is the same of course, but it does not seem to be as snug a fit as yours. It slides in the same way and thats exactly how I had it, but it''s a bit more loose. I can also just pull out the small camera/lens part from the gimbal itself.

Sadly I didn't check the Phantom very well before I took it on that tragic flight. Something tells me it had a problem already when I got it.

Can you just pull out the camera/lens part from the gimbal? See how it's detached on my picture above.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers