Gimbal breaking by design? addendum

Reaction score
Original thread here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30146

I did not get a chance to respond to Mapmaker's final post, which is filled with lies about my posts in the thread. After more BS, he decided to ask the mod. to close the thread. Grossly unfair to me to not have an opportunity to respond.

Mapmaker's comments that refer to my post are in bold, my post is in italics:

Re: Gimbal Breaking By Design?

Postby MapMaker53 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:20 pm

Jstic wrote:
LOL, it was you who started the thread and has spent far more energy bashing DJI with false and unsubstantiated rumors, one of which has been disproved already. Do you work for Walkera or another DJI competitor?

Let me be blunt here because obviously you don't live in the real world. As far as your claim that DJI is calling a gimbal bracket maker and telling him/her to stop selling them, that is total ******** until you can prove it. It is an unsubstantiated rumor that you have chosen to spread, because you are admittedly pissed off at DJI. If you can't prove it, it didn't happen. Even if DJI did make contact with a gimbal bracket maker, which I doubt, there is probably a lot more to it than what you are posting. I would think the gimbal bracket maker would be only too eager to publicize this alleged contact with DJI, it would prove that his bracket is necessary and that DJI recognizes that, increase publicity for him and increase sales. Your conspiracy theory about DJI holding back on parts to drive up profits was debunked yesterday when DJI began offering the cables at a substantial discount below aftermarket cables. Now you want us to believe another rumor.

You don't understand the physics or mechanics of the gimbal separation problem, so you see the gimbal bracket as a fix, which it is not. It is a band-aid for the problem, addressing the symptom and not the cause. As I said earlier, the only thing these brackets to is, in some cases, stop the total separation of the rear motor and shaft and the tearing of the cable, which now can be bought for $25. THEY DO NOT PREVENT A REPAIR BILL. Gimbal bracket or not, repeated or sharp lateral force will cause the shaft to loosen in the housing. The gimbal then has to be taken apart and repaired properly. I have yet to see a gimbal bracket maker claim that his bracket prevents the shaft/motor loosening problem. I'm not suggesting anyone remove their gimbal bracket, or stop buying them, I am simply stating the facts. But to infer that DJI should incorporate this into a redesign of their camera/gimbal, or are not doing that deliberately is just ridiculous. To go even further and speculate that they designed their gimbal to fail (look at the title of this thread) is worse. If they are going to spend time and money on an expensive redesign, they would probably address the cause of the problem.

Now I have to go because I have a date with 3 french models. I can't tell you their names, but trust me, I'm an honorable guy like you claim to be and would never start a false rumor. ;) Remember, "they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true. I heard that on the internet." :roll:

Well thaaaank goodness. I can remove my gimbal bracket now that someone who claims Apple never reduces their prices has told me that the gimbal won't prevent a repair bill -- right after also claiming that it is far too difficult for anyone to replace the ribbon themselves. You change your argument whichever way suits you. See, again.. All that energy and anger defending DJI. It's a little over the top, don't you think? I'm just reporting what I was told and you can make fun of me being an honest person if you like, but it doesn't change what I was told. I can't report here something a seller told me just because you demand I tell you who the seller is? I'm really trying to take the high road here and refrain from using terms like "forum police wannabee" but you're really making that difficult. It's simple.. believe me or don't believe me. I don't care which you choose. It doesn't change what I was told. Like I said, if DJI wants to find out who in their organization is pressuring this seller not to sell the bracket, I'll be happy to get them in touch with him. Am I an advocate for using a gimbal bracket "bandaid"? Hell ya. Am I promoting any particular one here? No. I have not mentioned a brand in this thread nor will I. I even received a PM inquiry yesterday from a member of the forum asking which bracket was the one I was referring to because he wanted to protect his gimbal. I simply gave him the three types/websites that I know of in no particular order and told him each one probably works as well as the other. Might be hard for some people to believe, but I was raised to be an honest person. It's too bad the whole world isn't that way.

END OF POST

My response:

Lie # 1. Not anywhere in the thread do I even mention Apple or their prices, those comments were made by another poster.
Lie # 2. No where did I say that it is far too difficult for anyone to replace the ribbon cable themselves, My exact quote was "Some are able to do it, it is not impossible, but many fail IMHO."
Lie # 3. No where in the thread did I change my argument in any way shape or form.

Aside from these outright falsehoods, Mapmaker fails to recognize or even admit that he was DEAD WRONG about the ribbon cable conspiracy where he alleges DJI is holding back selling the part to increase profits. That BS was totally debunked when they became available to dealers for retail sale within a few days of this post.

He also continues to spread unsubstantiated and probably false rumors about DJI contacting a bracket maker. Anyone with any sense of reason would realize what a total PR disaster it would be for DJJI to contact an aftermarket part maker and pressure or ask them to stop selling their part. Aside from the fact that there is not one shred of proof, this type behavior is irresponsible. Putting false words in forum member's mouths, and starting unsubstantiated and BS rumors are not the behavior of someone who claims to be "an honset person". If you are going to post FALSE information, or speculation and unproven rumors in a thread, be prepared to deal with the fallout.

Dude! Go eat some Turkey and maybe see if weed is legal where you live. You need to relax.

rbhamilton said:
Dude! Go eat some Turkey and maybe see if weed is legal where you live. You need to relax.

Already did that, just don't like it when people start lying about my posts. You probably wouldn't be too pleased if I made claims that you said something you did not.
Also don't like it when people spread BS rumors on the internet when they have no clue what they are talking about.

Jstic.
Can you please give me your e-mail? I can't send PM to you, because i am a new member of forum. I wount to by your gimbal main board . Yes I know, my english is awesome. :D

I happen to know that DJI fought selling the ribbon cables until it could be justified no more. If this gimbal wasn't designed to fail nothing ever was. Why didn't DJI machine the back to prevent separation like someone else has now done? They fought me for weeks over their failure to sell them even to their dealers. This refusal for that amount of time while they were breaking left and right tells me that DJI is more interested in the bootom line than they are in the fiscal welfare of their customers. Why is it that for too long , they claimed that special equipment was needed to reset the delicate parts of the camera when replacing the cable. Now the equipment can be repaired without it. They know very well that 75% or so of the people buying these cables will fail and they will have sold a cable and will still get the repair work. As for mapmaker 53, he is right and you are wrong.

Is this a pissing contest?..... It all comes down to dollar figures.

Why isnt the wifi unit being recalled?

Why did people have to buy a new gimbal for 6 months before the cable became readily available?

Why did they push a firmware update that disabled aftermarket batteries?

I am sure its all for the benefit of the customer....... ; ) What ever it is I hope they improved the gimbal in the Conspire.... I mean Inspire.

Thank you, clingermac.

To all... Like I said, I was just truthfully reporting what was told to me by a seller. I wasn't forcing anyone to believe me, yet a couple of members continued to throw a sissy-fit about it. I reported some information, without wanting to reveal the source. Mature members here could either believe me or not believe me. If they believed me, fine. If they didn't believe me, that's fine too. But then move on. Kicking one's feet and telling all it didn't happen and acting like a child doesn't change the fact that it did. And yes, I'm an honest person.

MapMaker53, you threw quite the sissy-fit yourself.

Pro tip: Nobody likes rumors (or "truths" that have no information to back them up) that are posted solely to defame someone or a company. If defamation is not your goal, then you should keep it to yourself or be prepared to explain fully when you're called out on it.

Says you. True information was posted without a source and and an adult can handle that and come to his or her own conclusion as to whether it makes sense or doesn't make sense to them and whether they believe it or not. DJI damages itself by being stupid enough to pressure a seller not to sell a cheap fix if that word gets out. But that's business as usual in China. They may be operating in the U.S. market, but they have a lot to learn about freedom - something that culture is not too familiar with. All I did was keep assuring members that what I said was true whenever you insisted it was BS -- and you obviously couldn't handle that. I asked the mod to close the original thread because I (and am sure others) were getting bored with it going in circles. Now that my original post has been vindicated, I think you can now move on with your life -- possibly with a new perspective regarding how DJI actually operates and the degree they care about the consumer. The needed gimbal repair after a simple hard landing in essence boosts the price from $1089 (currently) to $1989. But thanks for the lecture.

MapMaker53 said:
DJI damages itself by being stupid enough to pressure a seller not to sell a cheap fix if that word gets out.
So, says a rumor you started.

I don't think anyone was getting bored by watching you chase your tail. And, here you are in the new thread chasing some more. You must be exhausted by now :)

I think you need to take your own advice and move on.

Hey, kid. Do yourself a favor and take the time to read things instead of getting all worked up. Go back a few and read clingermac's post.

MapMaker53 said:
Hey, kid.
Haha... look at you. Continuing to insult people. It's no wonder that nobody here believes you. You can always create a new forum name I guess ;)

Sorry. I just realized that the term "kid" is somewhat of a derogatory term for a teenager in the UK culture. I honestly didn't mean for it to be a derogatory term if you are British. Here in the US, kid is a common term for anyone in their teenage years or below.

Believe it or not, manufacturers do make "Made to Break" items. Motorola years ago made a satellite receiver with a small battery that when it went dead made the unit almost useless. That is called "Planned Obsolescence." My walk behind snow blower had a plastic gear that ran against a steel gear on the snow chute. Any time that chute got stuck, that plastic gear was stripped and junk. After purchasing two of them, I found one somewhere else made of steel. That one has lasted 8 years now. Asked the dealer if he sells many of them? He stated, "tons." A made to break part. Profit for repair center and the manufacturer.
I have no idea if this is what DJI did with the P2V+, but "Made to Break" in manufacturing is real.

Happyflyer said:
Believe it or not, manufacturers do make "Made to Break" items. Motorola years ago made a satellite receiver with a small battery that when it went dead made the unit almost useless. That is called "Planned Obsolescence." My walk behind snow blower had a plastic gear that ran against a steel gear on the snow chute. Any time that chute got stuck, that plastic gear was stripped and junk. After purchasing two of them, I found one somewhere else made of steel. That one has lasted 8 years now. Asked the dealer if he sells many of them? He stated, "tons." A made to break part. Profit for repair center and the manufacturer.
I have no idea if this is what DJI did with the P2V+, but "Made to Break" in manufacturing is real.

Often times "made to break" is used to protect a more expensive part from damage.... the most common reason when you have a metal gear meshing with a plastic gear... This is used quite often to avoid damaging a motor (possible hundreds of $) or a cheap $5 part... i'd much rather replace that $5 part any day.

dbfletcher said:
Happyflyer said:
Often times "made to break" is used to protect a more expensive part from damage.... the most common reason when you have a metal gear meshing with a plastic gear... This is used quite often to avoid damaging a motor (possible hundreds of $) or a cheap $5 part... i'd much rather replace that $5 part any day.
Safety is another reason for "made to break" parts. Volvo engine mounts are notoriously subject to long-term wear. That's because they are designed to break off in a head-on collision and drive the engine down under the car, instead of directly back into you.

dbfletcher said:
....Often times "made to break" is used to protect a more expensive part from damage.... the most common reason when you have a metal gear meshing with a plastic gear... This is used quite often to avoid damaging a motor (possible hundreds of $) or a cheap $5 part... i'd much rather replace that $5 part any day.
I will agree with you on the motor driven idea. But the plastic gear on my snow blower is run by hand crank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav