Gimbal Arm Tilted?

Reaction score
Looks that the gimbal arm is tilted. I calibrated the camera and it looks straight. However is the gimbal arm supposed to be tilted like this?
23f145da1c562d84380273bcf43c2aff.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Did you land hard or hit anything? It looks bent and probably needs replacement.
It should be 90*.

RedHotPoker

Well I was feeling adventurous today and flew it between my house and my neighbor's house. Good thing I had my prop guards on. I didn't account for the wind between the 2 houses and it pushed the bird close to my TV antenna and crashed. If it hit just the wall, it would've been fine. The prop guards saved the day because no scratches on the props but looks that the gimbal arm is not straight anymore. After calibrating, the camera was level again. Test flight after looks that all is ok....PHEW! Should I send it in to have it checked anyway?

Last edited:
If the camera works as normal, and your horizon is still straight...
It's up to you... Sounds to me, that you like to live dangerously anyway!? Haha it's more cosmetic than anything, if all is still working ok. I would get it repaired locally if possible. Try and Find a service centre, near you. Not sure what it might cost. But your call.
There are guys on this forum that do repairs for others too.

RedHotPoker

Your geometry is now incorrect, and if its not 90 degree when looking from the side, then you have a problem. It may level itself when the quad is level, but at high bank or pitch angles, your horizon will not be straight.

Since you seem to be new at this, Id keep flying with it for now, until the problem shows up, then you know what to do.

Just checked and it is 90 deg looking from the side. I did some test recording after gimbal calibration and horizon looks fine. Just went up high, rotated, tested gimbal pitch, then did some short front, back, side to side moves. All looks fine. Didn't take it for any high bank maneuvers. Will be testing it all this weekend. Crossing my fingers that nothing bad happens.

Took it for a spin this morning. No issues with high bank maneuvers. Horizon looks fine. All is working normal (from what I can see). Still...just don't feel the same anymore. On the bright side, it could've been worse. Good learning experience though. Will keep a close eye on it. At least I can rest easier now.
Horizon Test.jpg

Yup, if this pic is representative, your drone horizon is square, so you might have indeed got away, lucky.
I want to say better luck next time, but that seems off here. Ha
Too bad you couldn't carefully remove the camera and try to straighten that bit. But might make it worse, so probably better to leave it, for now.
Try finding a local repair/service centre? Call and ask for a fair & honest estimate...

RedHotPoker

I was trying to figure out what hit the arm to bend it like that. There were possible objects in the area it could've hit when the crash occurred. However there are no signs of damage on the camera. Not even a scratch on the gimbal arm. So I'm puzzled. I tried to see if bending it with my bare hands would straighten it. Didn't budge and I didn't want to force it and make it worse. Scratching my head on this one. If you have any ideas what could've caused it, I'm all ears.

So, it's truly too bad-really a shame that you didn't have your most handy video camera running...
That might have told the whole story, filling in the mystery blanks.
No, I couldn't offer any ideas or recommendations beyond what was written above. You are the best person to answer those questions, even with a best guess answer. No, my single thought.
Please take a better flight course from today, moving forward. ;-)
I would still source your local or immediate @dji "fixit" centre.

RedHotPoker

udge and I didn't want to force it and make it worse. Scratching my head on this one. If you have any ideas what could've caused it, I'm all ears.

Those alu parts are FAR weaker than you'd think. I bought a P3 with a bent gimbal and while waiting for replacement parts, I disassembled and bent it back. I used a vise, but really, I could have done it with my bare hands. I was shocked how weak (and in fairness, how light) it is.

Before you decide to try, beware they tend to break. I heated mine first to minimize the risk of fracture, but there is still a good chance.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj