GG: Official DJI Refund Policy: No Refunds, If Aircraft Flown!

GadgetGuy

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Official DJI Refund Policy: No Refunds, If Aircraft Has Ever Been Flown!

Despite the clearly stated REFUND AND REPLACEMENT POLICY on DJI's website, which says that a "Refund" is available after Activation for any "Manufacturing Defect" within 7 days of receipt, the DJI Customer Service "Policy" from Corporate, according to Derrick, the manager I spoke to today at Customer Service, is that:

"NO refund will be issued, if the aircraft has ever been flown, no matter what. An exchange is the only option."

Surely a battery that delivers only 15 minute flight times when rated at 28 minutes is a manufacturing defect, and a controller that loses all signal at 1.3 miles under optimal conditions instead of 3 miles is also manufacturing defect, as is a gimbal that squeals like a stuck pig, when handling the aircraft with the battery on.

However, that isn't even up for discussion, as discovery of these manufacturing defects requires flying the aircraft, and flying the aircraft voids your REFUND opportunity, so you cannot discover any manufacturing defects that affect range and battery life and performance, which would entitle you to a refund under the written DJI Refund and Replacement Policy. Can you say CATCH-22?

DO NOT BUY DIRECTLY FROM DJI ONLINE! Your only recourse is an exchange for another unit with the same manufacturing defects!

If you ALREADY have bought a P4 from DJI, and are within 7 days, and may want to return your P4 for a refund, don't fly the aircraft! Return it to DJI for a refund while you still can, and purchase from Apple instead.

The sales tax at Apple will be cheap insurance! When you buy from Apple, they offer a 14 day no questions asked satisfaction return, even if flown, without requiring any manufacturer's defect!

Last edited:
Reactions: Silverwingflinx
When you buy from Apple, they offer a 14 day no questions asked satisfaction return, even if flown, without requiring any manufacturer's defect!
Are you sure? This is what Apple's website says:

"Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service."

Awesome. That sure is an odd statement on Apple's website then. Perhaps it's there by error?

Awesome. That sure is an odd statement on Apple's website then. Perhaps it's there by error?
Unlike DJI, Apple wants to preserve the relationship. I'm sure that Apple Official Policy may be correct, but if the Apple Stores honor the 14 day return, that's all that matters. In DJI's case, the DJI website policy is NOT being followed by DJI Customer Service either, but in a bad way. Apple would at least make DJI honor the written DJI website policy.

Reactions: randykahl
Ubut if the Apple Stores honor the 14 day return, that's all that matters
Totally. I guess we'll have to see how long that policy lasts. I'm just trying to picture what they are going to do with all of the used Phantoms that are returned. They certainly cannot be sold as new products.

Totally. I guess we'll have to see how long that policy lasts. I'm just trying to picture what they are going to do with all of the used Phantoms that are returned. They certainly cannot be sold as new products.
They'll be sold on eBay for $799, starting April 1st! :D

Haha! That wouldn't surprise me. Lots of authorized DJI dealers are selling well below MAP these days.

Most importantly, DJI's Customer Service is being internally told by DJI Online Sales in China to tell customers that NO refunds will be processed if you ever have flown the aircraft, even within the 7 days.

Even if it is a lie, if that lie then discourages the customer from filing the refund request within the 7 day window, the refund will be denied for not making a timely refund request, after discovery of a qualifying manufacturing defect, and an exchange or repair will be the only option.

It's slimy and deceptive, and fraudulent.

I asked for a written copy of that internal policy that they are told to follow, stating no refunds ever, if flown, which contradicts the written policy on the website, and he said it wasn't a written policy yet. I told him to send it to me in an email, to confirm it, as our forum members deserve to see it in writing before buying from DJI. He said he would get back to me. I asked when. He agreed by Friday. I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussaguy
Haha! That wouldn't surprise me. Lots of authorized DJI dealers are selling well below MAP these days.
Everybody will think it's an April Fools' Day joke, and by the time they realize open box P4's for $799 was real, they'll all be gone! :p

No, I'm not looking to purchase a P4. I did notice however that it is available for pre-order from Amazon for $1399 and will ship 01-April. If I were in the market for one I think that would be the route I would go. Free Prime shipping as well.

Are you sure? This is what Apple's website says:

"Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service."
Depends where you are.

I have a friend at Apple and he only needs to ask the manager and he would return it without question after 2 months if I asked him to without a reason.

I wanted to extend my warranty to be officially the policy from the 15th because it wasn't fly-able without the official app until several days later and they did it without flinching and that was without any friends help.

They are going to send them back to DJI for a full wholesale refund.

** some might be sold as "open box" if it's something like a bird that's never been flown but I can't remember ever seeing an "open box" item at an Apple Store. Yeah, I had to argue to cancel by DJI order when I got it at Apple BEFORE IT EVEN shipped. It's a cultural difference at the end of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
No, I'm not looking to purchase a P4. I did notice however that it is available for pre-order from Amazon for $1399 and will ship 01-April. If I were in the market for one I think that would be the route I would go. Free Prime shipping as well.
Amazon had the best return policy on P3P's, as well, at 30 days, and that included crashes! Glad they are back as an option on the P4! :cool: Like Apple, Amazon has a lifetime view of the happy customer, and will even lose money to make a refund for good customer, even if outside of their usual guidelines, on a case by case basis. They want you to come back and buy something else, over and over again, and they sell everything!

Reactions: Rizarius
Amazon had the best return policy on P3P's, as well, at 30 days, and that included crashes! Glad they are back as an option on the P4! :cool:
Be careful. Google "banned for returns at Amazon".

I happen to have a history dating back to about 2007 but I had a case for an iPhone6+ that I had to return 3x and my friend warned me about this, I called to see if I was in danger because it was them that kept trying me to re-try this new case because they had fixed but the magnetic latch kept breaking on each one.

Luckily, they said it's a formula based on returns vs. purchases etc. but it's not even evaluated, people that considered themselves untouchable Amazon purchasers were banned for multiple returns and a high priced item probably doesn't help it.

When my p3p was delivered it was left at my door and a friend put it in my garage without telling me before leaving to Amsterdam and it took me 3-4 days to find out and I had to almost beg Amazon to recharge me.

This is uptolevel6 for all that missed me :)

Missed? You mean like a nightmare is missed? As in gone but not forgotten? lol just kidding and welcome back.

What up with the nom de guerre? lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic