Getting used to the Futaba T8J

Reaction score
Hi,

Being a novice at Phantom flying ( just a few weeks now) I can say I am totally hooked and have now upgraded to the a Futaba T8J TX / RC , the Zen-muse gimbal & the fat shark FPV setup and its all working now ( after a small issue with lid orientation)..but my only issue was the stock controller was so much easier to use, especially with the spring on the throttle so after gaining altitude you could just let go of the throttle stick and it would spring back to centre & go into hover mode, but now with the new setup I have to manually reduce the throttle to where I think hover is and its a bit of steep learning curve for me...had a few very close calls.

So my question is there a way to setup the Futaba T8J in such a way to closely mimic the stock TX..

Also with the added weight has anybody figured out if you need to adjust the gains in Nazza to compensate...for some reason the bird now seems super responsive / agile..it was more docile before..easier to fly!

I set up the T8J as per the HPI Guy's settings again a thank you! but his level of experience is obviously higher..is there a different setup I could be using?

Thoughts & suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

richard shirazian said:
Hi,

Being a novice at Phantom flying ( just a few weeks now) I can say I am totally hooked and have now upgraded to the a Futaba T8J TX / RC , the Zen-muse gimbal & the fat shark FPV setup and its all working now ( after a small issue with lid orientation)..but my only issue was the stock controller was so much easier to use, especially with the spring on the throttle so after gaining altitude you could just let go of the throttle stick and it would spring back to centre & go into hover mode, but now with the new setup I have to manually reduce the throttle to where I think hover is and its a bit of steep learning curve for me...had a few very close calls.

So my question is there a way to setup the Futaba T8J in such a way to closely mimic the stock TX..

Also with the added weight has anybody figured out if you need to adjust the gains in Nazza to compensate...for some reason the bird now seems super responsive / agile..it was more docile before..easier to fly!

I set up the T8J as per the HPI Guy's settings again a thank you! but his level of experience is obviously higher..is there a different setup I could be using?

Thoughts & suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

It's def a great thing having a good Tx like the Futaba

What to you mean by mimic the stock Tx? the way TheHPI sets it up is about as similar as it gets, as there are only two sticks and two three-way switches .

I've not really adjusted my gains much (tho have a gimbal on mine as well)
But there is an option in the NAZA that allows you to (temporarily) control gains via the X1 channel . so if you have an understanding of things, you can fly the craft and adjust the gains using the VR knob (if you set Aux Chan 5 to VR, which I guess you already have for the gimbal)

just take the craft out and fly it while adjusting the gains, and once you find it performs the way you want it, without oscillation, then reconnect to the NAZA and view those settings so you can then make them permanent (I think,. at least thats what I've read)

..while you're at it, learn to use the Timer on the Futaba, it's one of the best features!

Hi,

The setup of the controls is the same, what I meant was on the stock TX the throttle is spring loaded and when released centres and the phantom just hovers. On the T8J if you let go of the throttle stick when your in a clime ..it stays where it is and continues to climb...and to get it to hover you have to lower the throttle..and I am still getting used to that!

Will take it out for more practice.

Thanks

Richard

richard shirazian said:
Hi,

The setup of the controls is the same, what I meant was on the stock TX the throttle is spring loaded and when released centres and the phantom just hovers. On the T8J if you let go of the throttle stick when your in a clime ..it stays where it is and continues to climb...and to get it to hover you have to lower the throttle..and I am still getting used to that!

Will take it out for more practice.

Thanks

Richard
I emailed Futaba about my flying the Phantom and wanting a self centering throttle and they sent me the parts need to convert my Futaba throttle to seft centering - for FREE! It is a bit of a delicate operation, requiring disassembly and reassembly of the stick, but if you take your time and are careful, its definitely doable. My futaba throttle is now self centering :D !

Their support email address is <[email protected]>

Hi,

Many thanks for the advice..

I took it to the retailer and he sorted it out in 5 mins..apparently it is already self centring but there is ratchet mechanism that inhibits this function, you take this lump of plastic out and hey presto!

Now its just like the stock transmitter and all is well..

Thanks

Richard

Mosher42 said:
My stock tx doesn't have a spring loaded throttle stick?

DJI only somewhat recently started shipping Phantom Tx's that are springy and self centering on the throttle.

richard,. your throttle is now self-centering?!?!

T8J heli models come with a smooth throttle
while the T8J-Airplanes models come with a ratcheted throttle

.but as far as I know, none came with the ability to switch to being spring-centered. - which is why PG13 contacted the company.

.unless perhaps they too, are now making it possible to convert to spring-centered out of the box?

hmmmmm...

Well he sorted it out in like 3 mins..and told ne you just remove this bit of plastic..taken it out for 2 flights since and its spring loaded self centred now for sure..just like the right hand stick...all good for me..

richard shirazian said:
Well he sorted it out in like 3 mins..and told ne you just remove this bit of plastic..taken it out for 2 flights since and its spring loaded self centred now for sure..just like the right hand stick...all good for me..

I got a brand new T8J today and I can tell you that you can remove the ratchet but it won't self-center because there are some tiny parts missing from that stick including the spring. And no, there are no spring parts in the box or secreted in the transmitter.
I have emailed the address at Hobico and will see if I can score the parts also. I can't find them anywhere else :(

marcus_canada said:
richard shirazian said:

I got a brand new T8J today and I can tell you that you can remove the ratchet but it won't self-center because there are some tiny parts missing from that stick including the spring. And no, there are no spring parts in the box or secreted in the transmitter.
I have emailed the address at Hobico and will see if I can score the parts also. I can't find them anywhere else :(

I've heard that if you contact Futaba,. they'll send you the parts to make your throttle spring loaded.. for free!

Gizmo3000 said:
marcus_canada said:
richard shirazian said:

I've heard that if you contact Futaba,. they'll send you the parts to make your throttle spring loaded.. for free!

I emailed Hobbico at the address posted previously outlining my need for the self centering & including my full address, I received an email from them just now saying the parts are on their way to me already! Sweet !!!

Just set my Futaba T8J up for the Pahantom.

Took the plastic plate off the back of the Throttle Sticks and Voila, self centre sprung loaded throttle :D

Here's what I done that may be useful;

Futaba T8J Additional Setup

I have set the timers to remind me to bring the UAV back home.
Both timers start at the same time. The first timer is set to 5 mins and beeps after 5 mins to warn me to start bringing the UAV back home. The second timer goes off 2 minutes later (after 7 minutes) to say if I have not landed then do so.

Timer Settings:
Go into the 3/3 menu and select Timer
Under TMR1 - T = 5.00, MODE = DN-STP, ON SW = SWA DOWN (Switch A then is your start and stop) RS SW = SWH DOWN (Switch H becomes the reset switch)
Under TMR2 - T = 7.00, MODE = DN-STP, ON SW = SWA DOWN (Switch F starts and stops this timer), RS SW = SWH DOWN (Switch H becomes the reset switch)

Gimbal Tilt Setting:
Go into the 3/3 menu and select AUX-CHAN and then change CH5 to VR
The rotary VR knob will then adjust your Gimbal up and down.

Slowing Down the Yaw:
How to slow the yaw down on the T8J so you get better videos as the camera pans slower.
I have set my T8J TX up to do this using switch B.
Go into the 1/3 menu and select D/R EXPO then go across to CH 4, Change SW to SWB (or whatever switch you want), flick UP switch B, now set the left and right EXP to minus 85% and save.When switch B is up the yaw is greatly slowed down for the first half of the stick movement.To really slow the yaw down flick SWB on. Change the EXP both to minus 85% and change the D/RS both to 50%
Remember to turn SWB off when you come down as you cannot stop the motors with SWB on with these settings.

MKheng said:

Both timers start at the same time. The first timer is set to 5 mins and beeps after 5 mins to warn me to start bringing the UAV back home. The second timer goes off 2 minutes later (after 7 minutes) to say if I have not landed then do so.

Timer Settings:
Under TMR1 - T = 5.00, MODE = DN-STP, ON SW = SWA DOWN (Switch A then is your start and stop) RS SW = SWH DOWN (Switch H becomes the reset switch)
Under TMR2 - T = 7.00, MODE = DN-STP, ON SW = SWA DOWN (Switch F starts and stops this timer), RS SW = SWH DOWN (Switch H becomes the reset switch)

Gimbal Tilt Setting:

Slowing Down the Yaw:
How to slow the yaw down on the T8J so you get better videos as the camera pans slower.
Go into the 1/3 menu and select D/R EXPO then go across to CH 4, Change SW to SWB (or whatever switch you want), flick UP switch B, now set the left and right EXP to minus 85% and save.When switch B is up the yaw is greatly slowed down for the first half of the stick movement.To really slow the yaw down flick SWB on. Change the EXP both to minus 85% and change the D/RS both to 50%
Remember to turn SWB off when you come down as you cannot stop the motors with SWB on with these settings.
Good stuff!

can you please post a screen shot of your TX screen? you mention -85% but I think you mean 85%

Thanks

MKheng said:

Timer Settings:

Gimbal Tilt Setting:

Slowing Down the Yaw:

with these settings I can not start the phantom whether switch B is up or down.

What do you mean by "Remember to turn SWB off when you come down as you cannot stop the motors with SWB on with these settings"

Fdnyfish said:
with these settings I can not start the phantom whether switch B is up or down.

What do you mean by "Remember to turn SWB off when you come down as you cannot stop the motors with SWB on with these settings"

With the D/Rs both at 100% with SWB up then you should be able to start & stop the motors. With SWB on the D/Rs are at 50% i.e. Moving the lever extreme left or right will only ever take it 50% of the way.

With the D/Rs both at 100% with SWB up then you should be able to start & stop the motors. With SWB on the D/Rs are at 50% i.e. Moving the lever extreme left or right will only ever take it 50% of the way.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj