Getting UK CAA Permission For Aerial Work - PFAW

Reaction score
I am planning to go for my PFAW this year to enable me to do commercial work but I have to make a decision fairly quickly due to course placement availability. I have been in contact with both EuroUSC and Resource Group, the folks who run the approved CAA courses. I found them both extremely helpful and patient with all my questions. It seems that Resource have it as far as personal 1 one 1 help is concerned and a free Theory resit if needed. However EuroUSC seem to have it on price both to get the qualification and the annual renewal costs. I thought I would post this here to see if any of you who have been down this road think I have missed something. I have used raw course costs here as I sit my theory in Belfast (which is extra) and would also most likely have to travel to England for the Flight Test. The prices below are for 2 aircraft. Also prices are GBP and incl UK VAT.

EuroUSC
BNUC-S Part 1 and Part 2 course and exam fees: £1260
Extra for 2nd Aircraft Flight test: £210
Total: £1470

Resource Group
All -in RPQ-S course, exam, Flight Test and free resit: £1600
Extra for 2nd Aircraft Flight test: £300
Total: £1900

EuroUSC Renewal: £90 (no flight test needed they tell me and therefore no travel costs required)
Resource Group Renewal: £350 (flight test needed they tell me and travel costs will be needed if test is on UK mainland)

Price difference for the Course, EuroUSC are £264 cheaper
Price difference for annual renewals, EuroUSC are £146 cheaper

These prices do not include the CAA first year application fee and Renewal fees. First year for 2 aircraft is £226 and renewal is £114.

These prices differences are significant and I know its not all down to money but I have travel and accommodation to consider too. I know commercial insurance and other factors are needed to be factored in for a business startup. The above is purely to get a PFAW from the CAA.

My question is: From your experience have I missed anything major here? Thank you.

Note for US friends here: This might be the way your FAA will go. Its been like this for us here in the UK for several years now.

Thanks IrishSights, I do hope someone can chime in with the answers you seek...but I just wanted to let you know I found your post enlightening, in letting us know how another country is handling certification for commercial work.

Hi IrishSights,

I appreciate this is an old comment, but I'm going through and have had exactly the same thoughts as you listed in this post. Im just wondering if you went and completed the course and if so who did you choose and what were your reasons etc?

Thanks in advance, hopefully you can help.

I went with BNUC-s. My Part 1 Ground school is in Belfast 18,19 March. It was the cheaper option for me not having to get to England. Its also multiple choice questions and I have my books well in advance. Air navigation, a few have said, is the hardest part. Google is my friend :)

Hey IrishSights - I'm sure others are as well, but I'm very interested in this. What is your plan for commercial use? Who do you intend to sell your services to and have you got things lined up yet? Would be great to make money from something you really enjoy.

pilsburypie said:
Hey IrishSights - I'm sure others are as well, but I'm very interested in this. What is your plan for commercial use? Who do you intend to sell your services to and have you got things lined up yet? Would be great to make money from something you really enjoy.
I'm currently doing non commercial flights within the CAA regulations for practice and demonstration as per http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid ... geid=16006 ..."Permission is not required if:

the aircraft will not be flown close to people or properties, and you will not get ‘valuable consideration’ (i.e. payment) from the flight, then a permission is not needed;

Permission is also not required for ‘practice’ or demonstration flights. However, the other requirements of Articles 166 and 167 must still be complied with, and it must also be ensured that no one is endangered while flying the aircraft."

Sorry I cant really go into further detail here for competition and business reasons however its in the scientific field, photogrammetry, surveying, point clouds and building 3D image models amongst other things, and yes I have things lined up :)

Sounds interesting, I've had quite a few others for paid work but turned it down due to lack of CAA permission. It seems rather overpriced, but I guess thats good so every Tom, **** and Harry doesn't over populate the business, but thats not going to stop people doing it without the correct permissions. I have got a friend that's recently went on the course but he's been a bit sketchy over the details.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj