Getting the landing gear out of your shot with Zenmuse gimba

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I don't know if anyone else has thought of this.
During flight with a 2D or 3D gimbal, it's almost always the left leg which comes into shot. This is mainly because the lens on the GoPro is offset to the left, and DJI in their infinite wisdom, didn't accommodate for this in the gimbal design by moving the GoPro to the right and centring the lens (as on the PV+).

So, here's my solution (a set of P2 legs is only $6 so that's what it'll cost you to test it yourself).

Simply cut the left landing rail, at the bottom, aprox 40mm from the front face of the leg. Then, remove the front left leg entirely. Create a small block to add to the front end of what remains of the lower rail. If you look at the left landing gear from the left side of the P2, you'll see that this will still put a landing pad forward of the centre of gravity. There is easily sufficient strength in the remaining left leg to support the P2.

I don't know about you, but on landing I always, 100% of the time, catch my P2 by the right rear leg. I never land it on the ground. It's just so easy to do this and not risk having it fall over and break something.

I've taken the plunge and tested it on my P2. Here are some pics. The left leg and rail is a bit "springy" but has more than enough tension to keep the P2 level for takeoff.

Comments?

Attachments

• IMG_2966.jpg
    IMG_2966.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 951
  • IMG_2967.jpg
    IMG_2967.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 949
  • IMG_2968.jpg
    IMG_2968.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 956
Re: Getting the landing gear out of your shot with Zenmuse g

Good idea, and it obviously works for you - a bit of rearranging of compasses and can-BUS ports I see you've had to do.

I can't help thinking it looks a bit like an injured pet just come home from the Vet after an amputation..!

MikesTooLz said:
What does this have to do with the Vision+?

Really mike? We also have a gimbal... on a phantom... With a camera... offset a bit to one side... that catches a little bit of leg in the frame once in a while...

Not much of a stretch to see this could help someone who hates when things show up in the video that detract from the overall smooth experience.

Personally I have yet to see any leg in my videos. Maybe I need to look closer or yaw more abruptly left or go film at the beach or on a college campus.

Pull_Up said:
Good idea, and it obviously works for you - a bit of rearranging of compasses and can-BUS ports I see you've had to do.

I can't help thinking it looks a bit like an injured pet just come home from the Vet after an amputation..!

Thanks for your comments.

I intend to put the can-BUS inside. Was just in a bit of rush to try it last night before going to bed. The compass stays put, as it's on the rear of the right leg.

True, it does look like it's been in a battle. The duct tape is not pretty.
My thoughts are that someone could take up this idea and develop a set of carbon fibre landing gear which are rear mounted, and the landing pads are brought slightly rearward, so as to still allow for a decent centre of gravity. It would have a kangaroo look about it, but you'd have no forward arms to get in the shot, and the lower landing pads would rarely, if ever get in the shot.

Hey, we work with what we've got and we do the best we can. :)

I filmed a spectacular rocky mountain outcrop yesterday which was half destroyed in the 2011 earthquakes here in Christchurch, NZ. There is no road access to the site, because all the mountain top roads have been closed due to risk of falling rocks. So, there are only limited places to launch from, the closest being 800mtrs away. The mountain peak is 390 mtrs above this launch point. I had set my height restriction to 400mtrs thinking that would be plenty of leeway. Well, I only just scraped in. The wind was blowing a fair gale and I was being extremely careful not to fly behind the peak, as I'd lose connection, trigger a return to home, and fly straight into the rocks. The footage I got was amazing. But the bloody landing gear kept popping into the shot as the P2 was being buffeted by the wind. So, it got me thinking of ways to remove this visual obstacle. Let's see where it goes. :)

I filmed a spectacular rocky mountain outcrop yesterday which was half destroyed in the 2011 earthquakes here in Christchurch, NZ. There is no road access to the site, because all the mountain top roads have been closed due to risk of falling rocks. So, there are only limited places to launch from, the closest being 800mtrs away. The mountain peak is 390 mtrs above this launch point. I had set my height restriction to 400mtrs thinking that would be plenty of leeway. Well, I only just scraped in. The wind was blowing a fair gale and I was being extremely careful not to fly behind the peak, as I'd lose connection, trigger a return to home, and fly straight into the rocks. The footage I got was amazing. But the bloody landing gear kept popping into the shot as the P2 was being buffeted by the wind. So, it got me thinking of ways to remove this visual obstacle. Let's see where it goes. :)[/quote]

Here's the footage, with the before and after of the landing gear modification.
I'm very happy with the results.

https://vimeo.com/93708369

I just installed extended tall landing gear I 've got from ebay
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tall-Landing-Ski ... 43c74d8921

it is not only a bit taller (which I like, not hitting camera on every little bump of ground) but significantly wider.
look up the ebay post, there are photos with measurements. and there is a guy selling these with Best Offer. I got mine for $10 including shipping.
now, if it does solve the problem - I don't know yet, did not fly it jet. but they are so much wider that it must help...

holoboss said:
I just installed extended tall landing gear I 've got from ebay
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tall-Landing-Ski ... 43c74d8921

it is not only a bit taller (which I like, not hitting camera on every little bump of ground) but significantly wider.
look up the ebay post, there are photos with measurements. and there is a guy selling these with Best Offer. I got mine for $10 including shipping.
now, if it does solve the problem - I don't know yet, did not fly it jet. but they are so much wider that it must help...

Please report back on how your Phantom behaves with this gear. I have the same set but haven't gotten around to installing it and in the meantime heard that people were having stability issues because of the slight change in compass position.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1