Getting the Jitters

I have the P3 pro and P4. Both are great, but if you can get the P4. It's easy to use, great updated design, easy to transport and newer tech. Just my 2 cents...

One thing i didn't see in the comments is the stability factor.

P4 is solid as a rock , the hover is remarkably precise, stability and build quality is considerably better than P3. It feels like the build quality of an apple product. where the P3 feels more like a toy

Why is it that for so many, the "horror stories" are all that they take note of?
When you are considering horror stories, you need to do it in context.
What fraction of the user base is coming up with horror stories.
How many users have no horror stories?
To what extent are stories caused by the user's misunderstanding or error?
Realise the bias in posting on forums - people with problems post about it while happy users just go flying and don't have much to say.

There's a very commonly believed myth that Phantoms are prone to flying away.
Here's an article that helps put the myth in context:
Fear of Flying 2016 - The Last Word on Drone Flyaways! - Drone Flyers

You should consider your fears in a similar light.

Totally concur with this statement. Having witnessed first hand at least four "it just fell out of the sky" or "it had a mind of its own, and just started to fly away' all the incidents occurred by new pilots who were either overly confident or had not read the manual thoroughly, or a combination of those two. All of them had less than a week experience.

Personally I've been flying sUAS for three or four years. I too had issues as a new pilot, over confident in my skills (hit tree branches) or near "flyaway" (most likely combination of not locked gps location, inadequate # of sats locked along with flight path too close to huge microwave tower). Live and learn, sometimes at a price.

Take your time, don't fly in high winds, at night, over people, houses, confined area, near trees, power lines, over water etc until very familiar with flight characteristics, warning messages, how to properly compass, IMU, what to do if things appear going wrong (hint- take three deep breaths and don't panic).

These things are getting more and more idiot proof but a great deal comes down to common sense, knowing your equipment and having a set protocol of how and when you do things pre flight.

Reactions: tominwa and Patrick
Sounds like good advice ,and coming from an experienced pilot too, that's why this type of forum is perfect for this hobby I've been on this forum for only a few weeks trying to pick up as much knowledge as possible from people like yourself, I've chatted with lots of people about many things from basics to antenna upgrades. Ive caught up with Jake from MAXX who I might add is very helpful and knowledgeable too. The one thing I know is you can't gain too much knowledge from experienced guys who have learnt, sometimes the hard way. The funny thing is I still have not brought a bird yet,but I know that when I do it will be a purchase based on what I know, not some half hearted decision( yes I'm thinking of the p4).Like to say thanks to the many people on this forum who enjoy helping us newbys get into this hobby without some of the problems that they went through......sincere Regards ...Tred...(Adelaide Australia)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ditto. Although if you look at it in another way OA is like an insurance policy to pilots and could save money if a destructive crash is avoided!
Front facing OA won't protect you from anything you can't already see and avoid by using the FPV, while limiting you to a snail's pace of 22 mph. It also won't protect you from anything during RTH that an intelligent selection of a proper RTH altitude won't also accomplish. It's a good start, but where OA is really needed is in the rear and the side, where you cannot see the obstacles you can run into flying backwards or sideways through the front facing camera.

Front facing OA won't protect you from anything you can't already see and avoid by using the FPV, while limiting you to a snail's pace of 22 mph. It also won't protect you from anything during RTH that an intelligent selection of a proper RTH altitude won't also accomplish. It's a good start, but where OA is really needed is in the rear and the side, where you cannot see the obstacles you can run into flying backwards or sideways through the front facing camera.

It gives me more of a warm and fuzzy doing tight shots or flying in places that i might not be super comfortable due to obstacles, the distance reading to the obstacle can be very helpful to give you a ballpark idea how close you are. I'm super paranoid about crashes and OA has let me get a little tighter and closer shots than i would dare with P2 or P3. Especially if im a distance away from where im filming

It gives me more of a warm and fuzzy doing tight shots or flying in places that i might not be super comfortable due to obstacles, the distance reading to the obstacle can be very helpful to give you a ballpark idea how close you are. I'm super paranoid about crashes and OA has let me get a little tighter and closer shots than i would dare with P2 or P3. Especially if im a distance away from where im filming

Yes, if you don't have a spotter underneath, or you being under, it's tough to gage the distance. I have both the P3 and P4. Will probably see the P3.

Whatever you decide on, it would behoove you to get a toy quad like the X5C as the controls are the same as Phantoms. When you finally fly the Phantom it will see easy.

If this is your first phantom and you can afford it get the P4. I did and I love it, better build and the AO is a plus and I don't fly thinking it's going to compensate for my f up's. It' there in case and it MAY save your quad. There where complaint about flight time, 2 days ago I flew for 24 minutes (looked in the flight log and was 23m 5 sec) and landed at 18% battery, nothing wrong with that. atti mode is a lot of fun and p mode...well...there it was.. gone so far so fast, you better have lotsa air. There both good but in my opinion for my use the P4 is superior, I'm not trying to break distance records and when the day comes I will invest in boosters.

Hi guys and girls, I've been flying RC helicopters for a while now and I have been thinking to make the move over to drones for some time now.
I started to look at the market in February and had decided to buy a P3 however, I noticed the up and coming release of the P4 so decided to wait.
I still have not made the purchase but reading about all of the horror stories posted on here is making me very jittery! I am now left feeling very confused about my up and coming purchase .

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
If you do decide to get the p4 you can get extra batteries buy one get one free, I have a few codes, you could basically get 4 extra batteries for $339.98

Reactions: GadgetGuy
If you do decide to get the p4 you can get extra batteries buy one get one free, I have a few codes, you could basically get 4 extra batteries for $339.98

Hi there, I've been lurking on the forum for a few days now and noticed your post. I'm a happy owner of a p4 myself, and am kicking myself for going straight to the flagship store in shenzhen. Sounds like I should have gone to the apple store instead.

You mentioned you have a few codes.. Would you be willing to part with one? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Michiel

Indeed! I will concede that front facing OA has its place, if you are flying that close to your subject, especially if flying out of direct visual LOS. It's just not the type of flying I normally do, flying that close from anywhere except above, where running into it is not possible, but I confess that I haven't really explored its capabilities just yet, although I intend to. Might be fun, even with its known limitations. It is definitely a help to new fliers, as long as they don't fully depend upon it to protect them from their own ineptitude. Tempered with some common sense, it is a worthwhile additional benefit. I did make one reckless and fun high speed flight underneath a 40 foot high 5 lane bridge over salt water. Lost signal about half way through, but the momentum kept the bird flying until it popped out the far side and finally regained FPV and signal before RTH kicked in and sent it straight up into the underside of the bridge! :eek:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.