Getting rid of fish-eye appearance in GoPro images??

Reaction score
How do you get rid of that??? I checked off the box in Advanced Settings in "Step 1" in the Import and Convert menu, but it seems to do nothing! I'm using a GoPro Hero3 (white) if that means anything. It's awful!!!!!!!!

PF

I use ProDrenalin from www.prodad.com Works well with photos and videos and in my mind easier to use than the GoPro software, which you could also try.

If you have photoshop, there's a lens correction filter which has numerous GoPro models in there. It works well in reducing the distortion.

BUT, that is at the expense of a little bit of the photo quality as well as losing some of the data around the edges.

MKheng said:
I use ProDrenalin from http://www.prodad.com Works well with photos and videos and in my mind easier to use than the GoPro software, which you could also try.

Wow!!! Thanks for the heads up. I read the PC World review and downloaded the demo. The ProDrenalin demo worked nicely on my test video. Guess I'm going to have to part with another $50.00. ****...you can spend endless amounts of cash on this hobby in a flash. :oops:

@ mediaguru: When I upgraded to a 64 bit rocket-ship of a computer (I like to do fractal rendering with Mandelbulb 3D, Fragmentarium and Apophysis) Photoshop refused to load, giving me an as yet unsolvable "No room on scratch disk" error. So far, no one I know has managed to solve this problem. I have searched repeatedly for a solution that works. None has. Maybe Photoshop just can't deal with being installed on a terabyte-sized drive, or else it's not stable in a 64 bit OS.

PF

PhantomFan said:
MKheng said:
I use ProDrenalin from http://www.prodad.com Works well with photos and videos and in my mind easier to use than the GoPro software, which you could also try.

Wow!!! Thanks for the heads up. I read the PC World review and downloaded the demo. The ProDrenalin demo worked nicely on my test video. Guess I'm going to have to part with another $50.00. ****...you can spend endless amounts of cash on this hobby in a flash. :oops:

@ mediaguru: When I upgraded to a 64 bit rocket-ship of a computer (I like to do fractal rendering with Mandelbulb 3D, Fragmentarium and Apophysis) Photoshop refused to load, giving me an as yet unsolvable "No room on scratch disk" error. So far, no one I know has managed to solve this problem. I have searched repeatedly for a solution that works. None has. Maybe Photoshop just can't deal with being installed on a terabyte-sized drive, or else it's not stable in a 64 bit OS.

PF
50$ for prodrenalin is the very best price and program you get for a good stabilizer and fish eye removal tool. Think it this way :) You can actually take useable footage in abit of wind, cause the stabilizer will take whatever mount or gimbal havnt taken.

I'm a mac user so I'm downloading their demo.

I also have Adobe Premier and I think there's probably a filter (or maybe in Adobe After Effects) which can compensate for the lens distortion.

the latest edition of gopro studio has a fish eye removal function. I shoot in medium 1080 sometimes to avoid this. The options the other guys talked about will get you a better results, but this is a way to remove the fish eye without having to buy any more programs.

Hello all I am brand new here
and this is a very interesting question
I use Sony Vegas Pro .. is there anyone out there using this
and have you found a filter in it, to correct this issue ..
I will go and have a look at the software that was mentioned
I only just got the quad so I dont have anything to show yet from it
but I do have a youtube channel
DrMucker http://www.youtube.com/user/DrMucker/featured
just like me username here, at the moment it contains over 200 videos
most are travel to Belize and Motorcycling in BC (where I live)
please check them out and I look forward to learning a lot from you all,who have been here and flying these
things longer than me ..
I have a new phantom and have so far only been learning to fly and video
so it will be a while before I bore anyone with a video

Howdy DrMucker!

I also like to ride. I have a Harley Ultra Classic (my geezer-cycle) and a Harley Rocker. I live on Long Island, New York where the traffic is dense and the drivers are crazy. :lol: I'll have to check out some of your channel's videos!

Fly your Phantom as much as possible. If kept in GPS mode it is pretty simple to fly and your skills will advance quickly. It's like training wheels for a bike. Once the stick inputs become automatic, you can try Atti mode. I'm not quite to that point yet...but there's fun to be had at every level with the Phantom.

PF

Wow! That is a very nice result! Well done. That would only work for stills, though, unless Photoshop has some capabilities that I don't know about to correct videos.

PF

Thanks!

Funny you mention that. There IS a way to automate the process apparently, so that it COULD be done with video. It would take a long time but it could be done. Each frame would have to be processed.

I've also read that there are some similar capabilities in Adobe After Effects, which I'm going to check out and document as well.

Reality check. Quite a bummer when I realized this.

Watch some of your GoPro video. As the horizon moves vertically, the apparent fisheye effect changes.

The angle the lens is at makes a big difference, which makes one "general" automated setting less likely to be a cure-all.

DrMucker said:
I use Sony Vegas Pro .. is there anyone out there using this
and have you found a filter in it, to correct this issue ..

Vegas Pro has a Deform filter that you can use to help reduce the fish eye. Like other filters/applications that perform a similar task, it tends to blur the edges a bit and you will likely need to zoom in the track slightly since the frame edges become cropped with the deforming. It can be fairly effective but it can take a bit of time to find out just what settings work best for your shot.

Personally, I'm checking out other options as of current.

Good luck!

The IDEAL solution would be a corrective lens you could install in front of the stock GoPro lens to get rid of the optical aberation at the source. I used to design and build telescopes (reflectors, not refractors, so I have no experience grinding and polishing lenses, only mirrors) but I bet it COULD be done. I haven't used a ray tracing program in over 10 years...but again, the design of the lens wouldn't be all that tough, especially if you had a wrecked camera and the front lens to mount on your interferometer for correction.

PF

I've actually heard of lenses for around $50 which can replace the old one and produce less distortion. Not sure if that is for the original GoPro or newer models.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj