Getting ready to pull the trigger on a P4

Reaction score
Hi,
I am completely new to this. I have a bunch of questions. Sorry in advance if they are stupid.
Here goes.
1. Is it inevitable, does everyone crash it eventually? If so, is it necessarily fatal, i.e. does crash=tossing the cost of the drone?
2. Is there a guide available someplace on where you can and can't fly? How do I know if I'm going to piss off the local gendarmes?
3. Does anyone know the dimensions of the hard case they sell? I can't find it. How much does it weigh?
4. Would you check the drone with baggage on a flight or carry on?
5. Is two months enough time to get myself reasonably up to speed enough so that I could fly it over water? I'm going overseas and want to bring the P4 with me.
6. I live in Key West. Key West = Salt Air. Trouble?
7. Does anybody sell floats for landing on water?
8. How big a SanDisk do I really need?
9. Is there a PC version of the software?
10. Can I preprogram a flight by setting waypoints?
11. I read something about the prop guards causing problems. True? Get em anyway?
12. If I want to fly over flat calm water (read really reflective) is it save to rely on the automated stuff?
13. If one of the props or motors fail, is the device recoverable or does it drop like brick?
14. Will the Cubs win in my lifetime????

Thanks so much. I'm sure I'll have more but this is enough for now!
Ed

I'll tackle some of these:

1. Is it inevitable, does everyone crash it eventually? If so, is it necessarily fatal, i.e. does crash=tossing the cost of the drone?
No. You can greatly decrease your chances of crashing if you take the time to read the Phantom manual and explore the other resources at PhantomHelp.com.

4. Would you check the drone with baggage on a flight or carry on?
You must carry the batteries on with you. I personally would not check my Phantom, but you could if you have a quality hard case.

5. Is two months enough time to get myself reasonably up to speed enough so that I could fly it over water?
Flying over water should be easier than flying over land since there are less obstacles.

7. Does anybody sell floats for landing on water?
A few people are in the process of manufacturing them. None are widely used and/or have been proven to work well. I personally would not attach something like that to my Phantom.

8. How big a SanDisk do I really need?
Pick up a few class 10 16GB or 32GB memory cards.

9. Is there a PC version of the software?
Of DJI GO? No.

10. Can I preprogram a flight by setting waypoints?
Yes

11. I read something about the prop guards causing problems. True? Get em anyway?
Get them if you plan to fly indoors.

13. If one of the props or motors fail, is the device recoverable or does it drop like brick?
The Phantom will drop like a brick.

Reactions: liketogethigh
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply. On #13, is this something I need to worry about or is it unlikely? Are these things pretty reliable?
On #11, I can't imagine doing that anytime soon. Seems dangerous.

On a completely separate subject. I am a software developer. Would you happen to know if this thing is programmable?

Lastly, no comment on the Cubbies???

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll have more to come!

On #13, is this something I need to worry about or is it unlikely? Are these things pretty reliable?
They are pretty reliable. If you thoroughly check the props and prop locking system for damage and ensure the props are properly attached before each flight, all should be just fine.

On a completely separate subject. I am a software developer. Would you happen to know if this thing is programmable?
Me too. I have not used DJI's SDK, but you can sign up for it and/or learn more about it here.

Lastly, no comment on the Cubbies?
I rarely watch sports :(

Again, thanks. I'll check on the SDK.
Any recommendations on which retailer to use? I found what appears to be decent deals on drone-world and amazon.
Thanks ... Ed

Amazon has a great return policy (for items shipped by Amazon), so it's a great place to buy. I have a list of those sellers here.

Best no question asked return policy for any problem out there. Free shipping too for purchases and returns. Easy to deal with a live person, I have an employee in my contacts

Best no question asked return policy for any problem out there. Free shipping too for purchases and returns.
Better than Amazon's? I doubt it. Amazon ships free, faster, and 7-days a week too.

There's nothing wrong with shopping at B&H though. I've purchased a lot of camera equipment from them.

Easy to deal with a live person, I have an employee in my contacts
Are you referring to talking to a live person to place an order? Or getting free technical support for your Phantom?

But if you have a technical problem their answer is "we'll ship you a new one".

Interesting. You seem to come here for all of your technical questions ;)

But if you have a technical problem their answer is "we'll ship you a new one".
If that general statement was true, I'd refer everyone to B&H. There is no chance they are sending out free replacements for work that DJI does under warranty.

If that general statement was true, I'd refer everyone to B&H. There is no chance they are sending out free replacements for work that DJI does under warranty.

My video card fried in my p4 after 3 weeks. They sent me a new one less than a week later.

The rule over water.
Never fly over water until you can fly over land in manual mode and feel confident to do so.

Salt water can magnetise steel objects and confuse the compass.
Confidence in switching to manual mode and flying back under skill is the required level.

My video card fried in my p4 after 3 weeks. They sent me a new one less than a week later.
Amazon will do this too. Try sending them a Phantom that is several months old though. I bet they would change their tune then.

Ok, I think I'm gonna do this thing tomorrow.
Here's what I'm planning on getting. Please let me know if I'm missing anything!
1. P4
2. Ipad air sunshade
3. 64 gb sd card.
4. extra battery
5. polarizing filter
6. Hard case. Not sure which one yet.
7. Extra props??? (how often do you go through these?)
8. Memory Card reader

Thanks ... Ed

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj