Getting in deeper with ND filters

Reaction score
Hi folks. This post is riddled with questions, but the subject of ND filters seems to be a bottomless pit at the moment!

So, the need for ND filters is well known. But it seems there isn't a clear winner in terms of the 'go to' brand?

Today I tried the Neweer ND fader where you can twist the lens to darken it from 2 to 400(!). This allowed me to get my exposure to zero when setting the shutter speed to 50 (double the frame rate of 24fps - well, almost double!). Surely this will save fiddling with separate fixed filters that don't guarantee perfect exposure balancing because their values are fixed, especially when the light is changing fast - what are your thoughts on this?

Also, I got some bad red lens flare as the sun was going down (facing almost into the sun), so the next question is: does anybody know of a lens hood that fits an awesome ND filter set?

Any thoughts would be great!

UK

I have only used a variable ND filter on my DSLR (not on a drone). They work really well. My only concerns would be:
1. They have to use 2 pieces of glass (one that rotates) ..extra weight?
2. 2 sheets of glass...loss in quality? prob not if you buy good brand

Reactions: Grae
Watch out for color shift and non-uniform darkening across the image. These variable filters sound cool, but usually have one or both of these flaws. So doesn't work well for professional or serious videography.

Reactions: Falcon900
I would worry about the weight of what you describe. I think it would almost certainly need to be counter-balanced to minimize stress on the gimbal servos. It takes about 30 seconds to swap a filter, not a big deal.

In general terms, I use ND32 in bright sunlight, ND16 in hazy sunlight, ND8 on cloudy days, and ND4 at dusk and dawn. Of course the shutter speed needs to be monitored, but in general terms those are my habits of choice. Generally speaking these selections provide a reasonably smooth video when panning.

I use a shapeways lens hood on my P2V+, which helped with the propeller flashes, but still get the sun glare spots.

The P3 camera is so low, any added length to the lens will cause an obstruction on startup. You could hold the bird off the ground during the initial startup sequence, but you'd still have the wind buffeting the hood. I messed around with one on the P3 and found no joy.

I like the SRP glass filters for my P3P. You might do a review on the adjustable ND filter as that sounds interesting!

I have only used a variable ND filter on my DSLR (not on a drone). They work really well. My only concerns would be:
1. They have to use 2 pieces of glass (one that rotates) ..extra weight?
2. 2 sheets of glass...loss in quality? prob not if you buy good brand

Thanks. The weight is not an issue - has no impact on the gimbal whatsoever. But agreed that the quality compared to fixed may well be poorer.

Watch out for color shift and non-uniform darkening across the image. These variable filters sound cool, but usually have one or both of these flaws. So doesn't work well for professional or serious videography.

Thanks. Yes, I need to look closely for that.

I would worry about the weight of what you describe. I think it would almost certainly need to be counter-balanced to minimize stress on the gimbal servos.

In general terms, I use ND32 in bright sunlight, ND16 in hazy sunlight, ND8 on cloudy days, and ND4 at dusk and dawn. Of course the shutter speed needs to be monitored, but in general terms those are my habits of choice. Generally speaking these selections provide a reasonably smooth video when panning.

Thanks. The weight is not an issue - incredibly light. Great tips re your use. Do you find that using fixed filters usually gets your exposure close to zero in any situation?

The P3 camera is so low, any added length to the lens will cause an obstruction on startup.

I like the SRP glass filters for my P3P. You might do a review on the adjustable ND filter as that sounds interesting!

Thanks. Good point! Camera is too low! Hearing a lot about SRP - more than any other filter. I may well do a review on the Neweer.

UK

Reactions: Fplvert

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20