Getting going with Phantom 3 Standard

Reaction score
I wanted to say thanks to all of you that took the time to respond to my question about purchasing a 3 Standard. I bought it yesterday and its beautiful and thanks to all of your comments, I believe that I made a good choice. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet but that will happen this weekend. I've wisely been reading the full downloaded manual (geez) and watching some YouTube stuff. I have a couple of questions, please. Is it true that, especially as I'm learning this...I can hit "auto-take-off," fly it around, then it "auto-landing" and I'm basically covered and safe?

One other question: Any advice? I am only using for video and aerial photos and will not race it or move fast.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Pharm
If you want guaranteed smooth landings, then you should land manually. Ease it down to the ground, land, and hold the left stick (throttle) down until the motors stop (don't do a CSC).

When manually taking off, hold the left stick in the full up position (after starting the motors) until the Phantom is at least 10 feet in the air. You should definitely never attempt to ease the Phantom up slowly on takeoff.

Find you an open field and practice, baseball or football field. That's what I did. Definitely practice flying towards you because controls are opposite (left and right).

Reactions: davecarter39
I use auto take-off frequently, but I would recommend hand-catching it rather than "landing" per-se. Grab it by a vertical leg, or corner, on the landing gear and hold "down" until the motors shut off.

As new to this hobby, I found the auto takeoff easy and the auto land was easy also. I also read most common mistakes mentioned above, all the dji videos. The dji app also had a bunch of videos also. There's also flight simulator in the dji go app. That's really nice to play with all the features.

As suggested if you take off manually just go for it!
Start the motors and then just go straight up,dont try and do it smoothly as you will start to feel ground effect,the air being pushed down by the props bounces back up off the ground and interferes with the stability.
Also when it comes to landing I tend to use the auto land to a certain point and then cancel it and land manually.

If you don't want cracks in your drone soon... Try to land manually. When I do the auto land, it land very hard and that can affect the body. I always do the take off and land manually and it is much more smoothly.

As suggested if you take off manually just go for it!
Start the motors and then just go straight up,dont try and do it smoothly as you will start to feel ground effect,the air being pushed down by the props bounces back up off the ground and interferes with the stability.
Also when it comes to landing I tend to use the auto land to a certain point and then cancel it and land manually.
Thanks. I work all week long and have not flown yet. I have it all charged and ready to go and I played on the flight simulator for a while on Sunday. It seems like your suggestion is the best plan, as long as it is coming in slowly. That's what I'm going to try. Thanks for your response!

Mostly i start,take off and land the Phantom manually I have 54 flight times and the shell does not have any crack. My P3 is not my 1st copter,it´s easy to fly as manually as automated. Only 1 time i had a look to automated take off and landing. Do not take off too slow and land not too fast.

Thanks Peter. I've been having a blast with this drone. I had a Hubsan 501S, but there is absolutely NO comparison.

Mostly i start,take off and land the Phantom manually I have 54 flight times and the shell does not have any crack. My P3 is not my 1st copter,it´s easy to fly as manually as automated. Only 1 time i had a look to automated take off and landing. Do not take off too slow and land not too fast.

davecarter39
NewThanks Peter. I've been having a blast with this drone. I had a Hubsan 501S, but there is absolutely NO comparison.

My other copter is a Xin Lin X161 follower X6,and it has a compass for the one key return direction and an battery warn on monitor for FPV only.
I learned to fly with it and it´s really harder to fly with this copter. The phantom 3 flies really not so difficult the handle and does not allow to flip it self as the X161 does,and lands soft as a feather. :)

Hi I am very new to this only been out with my p3s a couple of times. I went out in the middle of the mores. No people about but it was long grass and gravel tracks so I took off manually and cought it instead of trying to land on uneven ground. Very easy to do because they are so stable in the air

I wanted to say thanks to all of you that took the time to respond to my question about purchasing a 3 Standard. I bought it yesterday and its beautiful and thanks to all of your comments, I believe that I made a good choice. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet but that will happen this weekend. I've wisely been reading the full downloaded manual (geez) and watching some YouTube stuff. I have a couple of questions, please. Is it true that, especially as I'm learning this...I can hit "auto-take-off," fly it around, then it "auto-landing" and I'm basically covered and safe?

One other question: Any advice? I am only using for video and aerial photos and will not race it or move fast.

Thanks in advance!
For sure, for sure....use the simulator. It is very close to the response of the real deal. Practice until you feel good about the controls. It will be freaky the first time you start motors, get into the air etc. I freaked out going up about 50 feet. Keep getting into the air and push it a little more each time. You will discover more and more each time. That's my advice as a new flyer myself. Stay away from trees and obstacles until you feel you are ready.

If you don't want cracks in your drone soon... Try to land manually. When I do the auto land, it land very hard and that can affect the body. I always do the take off and land manually and it is much more smoothly.

One of my favorite (and inexpensive) accessories for my Phantom is a small, carbon-fiber board that fastens with zip ties across the bottom of the landing gear. It has to be in the right spot so it stays out of the way of the camera lens - both photographically and physically. When you start the Phantom, of course, it goes through that beeping an gyrations from the camera. If you put that little board in the wrong place, it will hinder the movement of the camera.

I mostly hand catch, with few exceptions. But that little board on the landing gear adds an amazing amount of rigidity to the landing gear and makes damage less likely if you have a less-than-perfect landing. The hand catch initially sounded kind of scary. Once you've done it a few times it becomes a piece of cake. (And no more grass stains - and no more sucking up sand from the road.)

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik