getting close to buying a P4 should I buy one or wait

Oops! I didn't notice that. Pretty sleazy to unpack what the manufacturer ships with the unit. Gotta read the listing carefully before buying. Anyway, the next lowest price on Amazon Marketplace is $1099 from Century Mall, with extremely slow shipping: order today and get it between the end of August and the end of September. Poo on that. Next in low price is Better Electronics at $1159 "shipped within 24 hours" but also "just launched" with no feedback.

If you're in California, ordering from Amazon itself at $1199 and free shipping comes with $91.42 sales tax, but if you buy from Mavy Savvy you get it for the same price with no tax and free Amazon Prime 2-day shipping. If you're not a Prime member, they'll give you a free 30 day trial. I tried it 3 years ago and I'm hooked. It's a great service, and of course it has the effect that Amazon desires: I order mostly from Amazon.

thanks for the input guys.
Here is a sample of a house I just finished today. Been filming and editing for the past 3 days.Done on my Q500+
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Nice video. Garish house.

Getting close to pulling that trigger on a P4. Been flying a yuneec 500+ with the 4K cgo3 camera for the past year with no issues. Still on my first set of props. No crashes or mishaps except for that tilted horizon this seems to show up every couple of months. Im on my third camera now. Im seeing DJI has the same tilts at times. Strange that both manufacturers have the same issues. when it comes to that dreaded tilt
How many P4 owners have had this issue or other problems causing a return. Thank god for knowing the owner of a drone webstore as they have swapped out all my cameras when this has happened even after the warranty has run out. Things Im liking in the P4 are many,most my Q500 + dose not have and I have read both pros and cons of the new hex-copter the H from yuneec. This is why Im looking at the 4 really hard. I can always save my Q500 as a backup. Should I pull the trigger on the P4<<< You guys are suppose to talk me into this right?
Also had the option of getting a inspire 1 open box for about 500 more but I just do not like the size when transporting it around to do video shoots of real estate. One reason Im liking the 4 is the easy transport and is prop install are some of the reasons

Do yourself a favor and skip the P4 which offers little over the P3 and has some negatives. The P3 Adv/Pro is just as capable and has better FPV range and on sale a P3 Pro can be had for $600

Reactions: brickard
If you do buy a P-4 any time soon, buy it at a retailer where you can take it back for a quick exchange in case there's a problem within the first few days or flights. DJI takes 3 weeks turn around on repairs. I had a small issue, the sim card slot was defective, when trying to reinsert the card it wouldn't stay in. It's a problem with several other users and DJI knows about it. I purchased my P-4 at Best Buy and they immediately made an exchange with me. The old bird as well as the new one are glitch free, everything works great. Just take baby steps when you start out, read all the lit, and watch as many YouTube videos as you can stomach. Actually, many of them are very helpful. I'm loving my P-4, have purchased some camera filters and a Trackimo in case there is a fly-away. In reading the posts and viewing videos regarding fly-a way's, in most cases the operators were pushing the limits of their bird. I miss my private pilot days from the 70's, this is the next best thing to it - especially when you fly with the "Fat Shark" Dominator HD V2 Headset - a must have if you fly drones.

Flying with a friend who has a Q500 I noticed with he's bird, mainly;

Positive
- perfect altitude readings! *
- no tilted horizon !
- excellent price point, 2 batteries included
- more positive not listed here...

Negative ( for some)
- green (ie grass) color not natural
- less stable flight (floating) but no impact on camera
- bended horizon, more bended than P4
- heavyer to carry on than P4
- not enough fast even in Rabbit mode

Other
- no Active track but Wizard to be used
- no possible HDMI output for googles (though alternate solution thru WiFi must be possible)

* I think correct altitude readings for an aircraft is a Must

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
Honestly. I would wait until your man enough to make your own decisions. Then get what you want

He IS making his own decision, just asking advice. You're immature and not confident of your own manliness to question his. You also don't know when to use you're and when to use your. They're not the same. Grow up.

Getting close to pulling that trigger on a P4. Been flying a yuneec 500+ with the 4K cgo3 camera for the past year with no issues. Still on my first set of props. No crashes or mishaps except for that tilted horizon this seems to show up every couple of months. Im on my third camera now. Im seeing DJI has the same tilts at times. Strange that both manufacturers have the same issues. when it comes to that dreaded tilt
How many P4 owners have had this issue or other problems causing a return. Thank god for knowing the owner of a drone webstore as they have swapped out all my cameras when this has happened even after the warranty has run out. Things Im liking in the P4 are many,most my Q500 + dose not have and I have read both pros and cons of the new hex-copter the H from yuneec. This is why Im looking at the 4 really hard. I can always save my Q500 as a backup. Should I pull the trigger on the P4<<< You guys are suppose to talk me into this right?
Also had the option of getting a inspire 1 open box for about 500 more but I just do not like the size when transporting it around to do video shoots of real estate. One reason Im liking the 4 is the easy transport and is prop install are some of the reasons
I would not touch a DJI product if it were free! I'll keep my 2 P2V+'s buy the next one will be another brand. Having recently tried to fix a friend's crashed P3Pro and seeing the weak inside design I would not buy DJI again. They are making individual part replacement almost impossible and the main board mounts all sheared off from a 30' drop. If they beef up their design I would reconsider.

Phantom 4 all the way. When I go fly mine around town I always have 2-3 or more walk up and ask so many questions about where to get one and what it can do. It's an amazing drone! It just came out so its only
A few months old might as well go ahead and get one. Make sure to buy a few extra batteries while your at it. I have 4 batteries now and I get all my flying time I want when I go now

They are making individual part replacement almost impossible and the main board mounts all sheared off from a 30' drop. If they beef up their design I would reconsider.
FYI, those four screws in the P3p that hold the main board in place were designed to shear off the board mounts on the battery tray, intentionally, so in a hard crash the main board doesn't fracture. The $8 battery tray is the sacrificial plastic part, easy and cheap to replace, saving the main board.
Been there, done that. I like that design feature.

Reactions: Despawned
FYI, those four screws in the P3p that hold the main board in place were designed to shear off the board mounts on the battery tray, intentionally, so in a hard crash the main board doesn't fracture. The $8 battery tray is the sacrificial plastic part, easy and cheap to replace, saving the main board.
Been there, done that. I like that design feature.
I totally disagree! When they sheared off it slammed the board into the cover ripping off components. That board is to small to suffer a crack from a 30ft drop if it was shock mounted and not mounted with weak plastic stud.

I totally disagree! When they sheared off it slammed the board into the cover ripping off components. That board is to small to suffer a crack from a 30ft drop if it was shock mounted and not mounted with weak plastic stud.
OK fine, we disagree. We can guess all day long about what works best and what doesn't, and at what cost.

I had crash from about 30' up tumbling through a tree, down onto blacktop (stupid bird, feathers everywhere). My board sheared those 4 mounts, but after testing it the board integrity was good. It's flying today. I was pretty impressed, appearing to shear off intentionally, for moderate crashes. There's no telling if the board would have been fractured if it didn't "give way", but IMO the shearing of the mounts helped the survive-ability of the PCB, more than rubber mounts would have. And yes, they do look like weak mounts, but I believe that's intentional. Had the board got broke it would have been cost prohibitive to repair my P3P, but in this case it only cost $305 (4 motors, 4 props, new body shell, battery tray, landing gear, camera cable, gimbal mount + $90 labor). The P3P is a clever internal design in this subtle way, IMHO. I suppose DJI learned this trick from the P1 and P2 designs, my guess.

OK fine, we disagree. We can guess all day long about what works best and what doesn't, and at what cost.

I had crash from about 30' up tumbling through a tree, down onto blacktop (stupid bird, feathers everywhere). My board sheared those 4 mounts, but after testing it the board integrity was good. It's flying today. I was pretty impressed, appearing to shear off intentionally, for moderate crashes. There's no telling if the board would have been fractured if it didn't "give way", but IMO the shearing of the mounts helped the survive-ability of the PCB, more than rubber mounts would have. And yes, they do look like weak mounts, but I believe that's intentional. Had the board got broke it would have been cost prohibitive to repair my P3P, but in this case it only cost $305 (4 motors, 4 props, new body shell, battery tray, landing gear, camera cable, gimbal mount + $90 labor). The P3P is a clever internal design in this subtle way, IMHO. I suppose DJI learned this trick from the P1 and P2 designs, my guess.
What I would like to see in general since DJI is making it near impossible for you/me to repair it by moving all components to one board is a beefed up design. I know plastic is plastic but carbon fiber in areas could help structurally. Dude I don't know about you but watching $14-1600.00 or more fall from the sky and crash is more than depressing especially when you don't have the bucks to keep buying them. I understand business and no one wants to make these to last forever hoping for the parts/repair business to add $ to their bottom line. I am a huge fan if they would incorporate from the factory a functional parachute...self deploying. Have a great day...safe flying to you.

well guys,,with the price drop on the P4 Im going to go ahead and get one. Im on my third camera on my Q500 for the horizon tilt. Im just waiting for it to do it again. If anything I will keep the CGO3 camera on the steady grip for my fly through the door feature. I though about the inspire but 4000 is a bit hard to justify. Especially if it ever crashed. Plus the flight times per battery are just to short.
Im good friends with Frank at Carolina Dronz so if I ever have a problem he takes care of me,,,,plus a few other benefits :]

Last edited:
Not necessary to balance props on the P4. They should be good from factory. I would also sell your CGO3 and get the Osmo for your fly through the door stuff when you can. You'll like the color better and the stabilization will def be better too.

well guys,,with the price drop on the P4 Im going to go ahead and get one. I'm on my third camera on my Q500 for the horizon tilt. Im just waiting for it to do it again. If anything I will keep the CGO3 camera on the steady grip for my fly through the door feature.

Sounds like you better sell that craft before the gimbal goes wacky again. It took me 6 months to sell my Q500+, got $650, enough for an Osmo. I thought the Yuneec steady grip was kinda Mickey Mouse, it had quirks, such as going past the up and down limit made it click and jerk. It chews up batteries too, or actually it stops working when the Alkaline batteries get about half spent, very strange. I'd much rather have an Osmo. I plan to buy the next version that has better audio and quieter fan, and maybe the Z3 zoom camera.

Confirm props from factory are very well balanced, no issues reported.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers