getting close to buying a P4 should I buy one or wait

Reaction score
Getting close to pulling that trigger on a P4. Been flying a yuneec 500+ with the 4K cgo3 camera for the past year with no issues. Still on my first set of props. No crashes or mishaps except for that tilted horizon this seems to show up every couple of months. Im on my third camera now. Im seeing DJI has the same tilts at times. Strange that both manufacturers have the same issues. when it comes to that dreaded tilt
How many P4 owners have had this issue or other problems causing a return. Thank god for knowing the owner of a drone webstore as they have swapped out all my cameras when this has happened even after the warranty has run out. Things Im liking in the P4 are many,most my Q500 + dose not have and I have read both pros and cons of the new hex-copter the H from yuneec. This is why Im looking at the 4 really hard. I can always save my Q500 as a backup. Should I pull the trigger on the P4<<< You guys are suppose to talk me into this right?
Also had the option of getting a inspire 1 open box for about 500 more but I just do not like the size when transporting it around to do video shoots of real estate. One reason Im liking the 4 is the easy transport and is prop install are some of the reasons

What is your Q500 not doing that you think the P4 will give you? (This from a man that owns a P3P, a P4, an Inspire and a Typhoon H. LOL) The Q500+ is an excellent craft. Serious question.

If you're simply into the hobby like some of us are, I can certainly understand your enthusiasm, but if you're trying to accomplish a specific goal in the purchase, I'd be interested in asking you to talk through it and tell us what you expect from the P4 that the Q500+ cannot do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yiannis.B and Prez
Im really not sure. I know the P4 is suppose have a better camera ( but there is still a issue with the tilt horizon } along with some things i dont have on my Q. I see you have two of each DJI and Yuneec. The main reason I started flying was to see if I could get the aerial real estate drone video off the ground. It has been slow going but have hooked up with two agents who are feeding me 10 houses in the past 2 months,,,,plus it gives me another thing to get out of the house and maybe add to social security if things keep going in 5 more years.
So I not care about speed or distance but do care about avoiding trees and roof tops and care most about video quality. . Just seems like the 4 has a few more things on the controller than my q500. Will I use them ? Dont know,,,,will I ?

There have been quite a few users, myself included, with bad compasses, gimbals, sd card slots, camera lenses, cracked shells, cracked batteries, plenty of firmware issues, getting stuck in a loop of receiving bad unit after bad unit from the service department, etc.

Personally I would hold off until things settle down. I sure wish I would have.
There will never be a time when things settle down. There will never be a shortage of people having problems of one type or another. In general, people are more likely to post about a problem than not. That being said, it's safe to say that more people are happy with their purchase, than not.

Is the camera and features that much better than my Q500+
Will one see a difference in the video. Colors better,sharpness better etc...

pull the trigger...glad i did...few minor issues, but for the most part i got a good one ...flown it over a total of 100+miles already and it's been simply amazing...

I wouldn't spend another $1500 if I were just getting started as you say you are. The Phantom is not going to give you anything you really don't already have. Build your business and if it ges to a point where you really need something better, buy an Inspire with an ungradeable camera/gimbal.

Spending money only solves problem you can define solvable by spending more money. ;) IMO, you haven't done that.

Guess what people on a Phantom forum are going to tell you to do?

That's my opinion.

Reactions: Yiannis.B
I wouldn't spend another $1500 if I were just getting started as you say you are. The Phantom is not going to give you anything you really don't already have. Build your business and if it ges to a point where you really need something better, buy an Inspire with an ungradeable camera/gimbal.

Spending money only solves problem you can define solvable by spending more money. ;) IMO, you haven't done that.

Guess what people on a Phantom forum are going to tell you to do?

That's my opinion.
I agree with Wilson, your quad is just a tool for your biz. I love my P4 just to have fun and cool videos, you need your quad for a living and what you have now works good, I would wait till I would need more options in video shots, then look at a Inspire with different cameras. Think about having a ratchet wrench, you have a gray but snap-on is way nicer, but in the end they still do the same job.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
+1 on not waiting if you need it. There will always be something better on the horizon.

If the next iteration is better, sell it, take a small hit (cost of using it while you had it) and put the funds towards the next one. I usually don't buy a new product right away (first few production batches) to avoid the issues.

Some are happy, some are not, sure. Other than getting bad units out of the sealed box, getting put into the DJI service department meat grinder is the bigger problem with this company. The refurbished units you get back are very hit or miss.

There will be more and more manufacturers over time and the market / products will mature so I don't agree that things will never get better.

I'm not saying, things won't get better. I'm saying that there will always be something for people to not be happy with. And when it comes to sharing their experience, people tend to be much more forthcoming with criticism than with accolades. The auto industry is pretty mature but there are just as many people with problems now, as there was 20 years ago. That is, if the forums are any indication. I would not put off buying a new car because someone had a bad experience. There will never be a golden moment.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You need to find something else to spend your money on for now. There is nothing wrong with your 500, your CGO3 or the video work that the P4 can do any better. Spend that $1500 on advertising and promotion if you must spend it right now. Better yet (I have run my own company for over 25 years), put it away for a rainy day and buy something when you really need it.

What you have is FINE, and if you have a case of gadget or drone envy, you're going to be disappointed with the P4 too. They all have pluses and minuses. It's the nature of the beast called RC. It's a great craft, but it won't make you any better at anything.

The Inspire and the Typhoon H both have 360 degree gimbals. THAT'S the next thing you need, IF anything. The P4 won't help you there. Sorry.

By the way, P4 price just dropped $200 this week.
Just so you know.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What is your Q500 not doing that you think the P4 will give you? (This from a man that owns a P3P, a P4, an Inspire and a Typhoon H. LOL) The Q500+ is an excellent craft. Serious question.

If you're simply into the hobby like some of us are, I can certainly understand your enthusiasm, but if you're trying to accomplish a specific goal in the purchase, I'd be interested in asking you to talk through it and tell us what you expect from the P4 that the Q500+ cannot do.
hey I am one of those who owns two inspire pro one p4 and one typhoon h ;)

thanks for the input guys.
Here is a sample of a house I just finished today. Been filming and editing for the past 3 days.Done on my Q500+
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Wow ! Fantastic job ! Honestly, unless you are having problems with your Q500+ 4k, I can't see you doing THAT much better of a job with a P4. Though I have a Q500+ with the CGO2, and am dying to get a P4, you are already great with the tools you have, and I'm not sure the purchase is necessary for you. That being said, I would assume the big difference is that the P4 is more portable due to it's smaller footprint, but being a professional like yourself, I'm assuming you are lugging your gear in a car or truck anyway, so that point shouldn't matter.

Great job, extremely professional looking.

The video was really nice. I don't think you will see a 1500 jump in video performance with a P4.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic