Getting challenged by someone while flying

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. One of the greatest joys of this hobby has been sharing and teaching. I've been "doing this" for over 40+ years and you'd be surprised how many people have been intrigued and fascinated once they were allowed to come up and really see what's going on. I've had the pleasure of teaching several other people to fly after they came up and started a conversation about the hobby. We spend the time to share our experience with hands on demonstrations. They get to see our joy and enthusiasm and it's very contagious and they often want to experience it over and over again.

If you don't want to be a positive impression that's your choice but IMHO it's a very poor and selfish choice. I cant tell you this much... if every other UAS operator had your attitude this hobby/industry would be very short lived. The main strength of our industry is our open community and willingness to share/teach others about our passion. Sharing is HUGE in our industry.

To each their own but like it or not every time you go out and fly you are a poster child for our hobby for good or bad.

I absolutely love this.

So many people like to think that one or two spoil the whole. Enjoy your hobby. Post good things!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've seen the comment 'Its our job to educate the public' repetitively on this forum and others. Is it? Why should I waste my valuable time trying to educate people on a subject they likely won't understand anyway? My time is valuable. I don't want to waste it trying to suede the masses. The majority won't listen anyway.

Maybe the companies raking in millions in profit, such as DJI, should take on that responsibility. Bring more people around and your sure to sell more product. Let them make attempts to educate sheeple, I don't have that kind of free time. ( Inappropriate content removed ). People in general don't want to be educated, they live in a bubble and like it. Don't try to pop it, that could be dangerous.

Too bad there's not a "Dislike" post option. This one surely qualifies.

Why was this post a good use of your 'time'?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BigAl07 and Lefty63
I wholeheartedly disagree with you. One of the greatest joys of this hobby has been sharing and teaching. I've been "doing this" for over 40+ years and you'd be surprised how many people have been intrigued and fascinated once they were allowed to come up and really see what's going on. I've had the pleasure of teaching several other people to fly after they came up and started a conversation about the hobby. We spend the time to share our experience with hands on demonstrations. They get to see our joy and enthusiasm and it's very contagious and they often want to experience it over and over again.

If you don't want to be a positive impression that's your choice but IMHO it's a very poor and selfish choice. I cant tell you this much... if every other UAS operator had your attitude this hobby/industry would be very short lived. The main strength of our industry is our open community and willingness to share/teach others about our passion. Sharing is HUGE in our industry.

To each their own but like it or not every time you go out and fly you are a poster child for our hobby for good or bad.
I see Larry or someone, deleted the original post. It's that kind of negativity that put the OP in the position he was in. We all are ambassadors to the sport and need to act as such. And hey, you may even meet some very interesting people.

Reactions: BigAl07 and flpholt
I see Larry or someone, deleted the original post. It's that kind of negativity that put the OP in the position he was in. We all are ambassadors to the sport and need to act as such. And hey, you may even meet some very interesting people.
I did and only meant to edit out the inappropriate comment . My bad and will fix it .

Can't but you can see what he wrote in the quote .
Now I have issued warnings and cleaned in this all I am going to.
I did asked nicely to stay on topic before I moved it to OT.
Now if anyone wants to question me on this do so in a message per the guidelines .

Last edited:
I'm not sure what part of my post was inappropriate other than no one seems to like my opinion. Either way I stand by what I said. I mainly fly on private property anyway but the few times I do fly in public places, I try to avoid contact with other people (such as flying in places there are no people). This seems to be a good exercise in common sense to me but to each their own. I am in no way negative to other people about this hobby or any other. Nor do I take a 'holier than thou' approach but again, to each their own.

I have multiple hobbies that take what little free time I have and again, my time is valuable. I don't ridicule people for how they choose to spend their time. Its their choice.

Reactions: Zuzua

"It's that kind of negativity that put the OP in the position he was in." That would be incorrect. My mentality (I can't call it negativity as that would be incorrect as well) is what helps me avoid those types of situations which is what I recommend the rest of you do. The OP's situation was caused by arrogance, anger, and ignorance on the aggressors part. I've responded to incidents similar to what the op describes and it usually results in a broken drone, or an injured operator. Be safe and happy flying.

It is not my job to educate people on manners. If some one comes up to me and asks respectful questions, I will engage them and show them what the p3 does and what they can see etc etc., I try to get them involved, I have a second p3 that I offer to bring out and show them how to fly it and even let them fly it if they are interested.
Having said all this, if some ignorant fool comes up to me and starts blabbing about his right to privacy in a public place, or that it it's illegal to fly "them things" or other ignorant, uninformed remarks, guess what? Now it's not about educating them in our hobby, it becomes about educating them about other things such as the law, local ordinances, FAA rules and above all RESPECT. well guess again, I don't have the time or inclination to do that so I send them on their merry way very quickly. Stop getting bullied by ignorant fools who think they have more rights than you do! Willful ignorance can't be reasoned with so don't fool yourselves thinking you are going to educate them in our hobby etc etc etc!!

" If some one comes up to me and asks respectful questions, I will engage them and show them what the p3 does and what they can see etc etc." Totally agree with this. But that's not the situation described by the op.

I think Zuzua is the only one so far to correctly interpret my comments.

Reactions: dtviewer
I have re-opened Larry's post. The thread can continue as long as it doesn't turn into a fight-fest and the gun talk is to a minimum. The forum reserves the right to edit/delete any or all gun/political/religious comments. Carry on.

I had a guy approach me today while flying at a state park insisting what I was doing was illegal and threatening to call the park police.

I had previously done quite a bit of research and found some restrictions in some state parks in NY that require permits but not the one I was at. The parks website had a long list of restrictions but nothing on the subject of any hobby aircraft.

He was pretty persistent and insisting he would call the police even though I was quite certain I was right.

It shook me up and after he walked away I didn't want to be distracted and crash or something so I landed and left.

Has anyone experienced something like this? What is he best way to be prepared for a challenge about legality from a stranger?

I will clear this up... the person was absolutely correct. You MAY NOT fly any aircraft in NY state parks. It is quite clear in their rules... you would need a special permit from the state to do so. I live in NY and have done the research. 372.7:e

(e) Aviation. The voluntary introduction, launch, takeoff or landing or any aircraft, parachute, hang glider, ultra-light, balloon or other weight- carrying machine or device designed for flight in or navigation of the air other than in an emergency.

SOURCE: http://nysparks.com/publications/documents/NYSParksRulesRegulations.pdf

Reactions: dirkclod
@LuvMyTJ
So this takes us back to the same issue as the NP RULES, if you are on a private land outside of the park and take off and land there, you in fact can fly over the state park, right?

Last edited:
That changes things a bit.....
It changes the fact that you were wrong, yes. But doesn't change the fact that you were approached in a hostile manner by a person that was not a law enforcement officer!!!!
It would have been better if he had come up to you and informed you nicely and respectfully that it is against the law to fly there.
Two wrongs do not make a right, in most cases!!!

Yes, that's very true. But three lefts make a right.. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Too bad there's not a "Dislike" post option. This one surely qualifies.

Why was this post a good use of your 'time'?
Because it it's his opinion and he felt he could voice his opinion. Just as you have voiced your opinion in disagreement with his opinion! And my opinion seems to be on the same lines as his opinion.
Have I used the word "opinion" too many times, in your opinion? Lol

Reactions: mrgoodwrench
You can also turn the other cheek... Hehe

RedHotPoker

Reactions: N017RW
I have re-opened Larry's post. The thread can continue as long as it doesn't turn into a fight-fest and the gun talk is to a minimum. The forum reserves the right to edit/delete any or all gun/political/religious comments. Carry on.

I will clear this up... the person was absolutely correct. You MAY NOT fly any aircraft in NY state parks. It is quite clear in their rules... you would need a special permit from the state to do so. I live in NY and have done the research. 372.7:e

(e) Aviation. The voluntary introduction, launch, takeoff or landing or any aircraft, parachute, hang glider, ultra-light, balloon or other weight- carrying machine or device designed for flight in or navigation of the air other than in an emergency.

SOURCE: http://nysparks.com/publications/documents/NYSParksRulesRegulations.pdf

Looks like it is more appropriately covered under 372.7(j):

(j) Toy or model rockets or aircraft. The use or operation of toy or model rockets or aircraft.

Still needs a permit though.

Unfortunately I am not that good a human being yet.
Still need work, Cheeky Monkey.. Hahaha
Perhaps, We can never be as good as we would like to be, but, we can always strive to be better citizens, than we were.
Only human, frail and weak, but mentally strong, and super powerful thinkers.. Where there's a will, 'here's' a way.
Just do it!! ;-)
The rewards are in the mail. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Zuzua

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl