Getting challenged by someone while flying

Reaction score
I had a guy approach me today while flying at a state park insisting what I was doing was illegal and threatening to call the park police.

I had previously done quite a bit of research and found some restrictions in some state parks in NY that require permits but not the one I was at. The parks website had a long list of restrictions but nothing on the subject of any hobby aircraft.

He was pretty persistent and insisting he would call the police even though I was quite certain I was right.

It shook me up and after he walked away I didn't want to be distracted and crash or something so I landed and left.

Has anyone experienced something like this? What is he best way to be prepared for a challenge about legality from a stranger?

print out the restrictions you found and hand it to the guy next time and by all means tell him to call police then you can hand them a copy too

Did you buy any chance get to ask him why he thought enjoying the park in your own way was inappropriate? Other than the perceived illegality?

The people I meet are generally curious and just want to chat. I have never encountered anyone who thought flying the phantom was inappropriate, dangerous or annoying in any way to them.

Did you buy any chance get to ask him why he thought enjoying the park in your own way was inappropriate? Other than the perceived illegality?

The people I meet are generally curious and just want to chat. I have never encountered anyone who thought flying the phantom was inappropriate, dangerous or annoying in any way to them.
This guy was a really arrogant. It seemed like he heard it's illegal to fly in national parks and thought it was a galactic restriction.

It caught me off guard so I didn't respond as well as I could have. I couldn't think of anything else but this afterwards.

The lesson I took away is that I should be prepared to handle a challenge like this quickly and politely.

I almost wish there was a statewide license that I could just show.

I had an experience like that, made a thread about it too. First flight out also. This guy grabbed the ac after landing and his wife was berating me for a good 5 minutes in my face before that.

Honestly, I understand that it can make you nervous when something like this happens but in the future don't let someone 'bully' you.
When he threatened to call the police I would have just politely said "sounds good...let me know when they arrive...I'll be right here flying".

I myself have seriously considered wearing my go pro on a belt mount just in case I ever need video evidence for any negative event that happens. Luckily I haven't had one yet but it could happen at any time.

I myself have seriously considered wearing my go pro on a belt mount just in case I ever need video evidence for any negative event that happens. Luckily I haven't had one yet but it could happen at any time.

Wow, I was honestly about to post this. I have a go pro, I think I'm going to start recording myself flying just in case.

I had an experience like that, made a thread about it too. First flight out also. This guy grabbed the ac after landing and his wife was berating me for a good 5 minutes in my face before that.

yeah seriously man, i would have flipped if he would have done that to me

What do you mean?
568188dfc46188e1298b459e.jpg

I think I would have shown him my FAA registration card !

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: jimerb
Usually either my wife or I also record the flight if for nothing less then to have the background noise and be able to talk while flying for later editing. Open carry also works and when in the woods it's a good addition. I have never had any bad experiences with people after they see what I am actually doing and I think that this is because I am almost always making a movie with the camcorder either behind me or in front while I fly and talk. It gives me complete videos this way when needed.
examples -

Reactions: Verydrone
Hahah had this yesterday he said I was spying I told him I will walk over to your window and hit record on my mobile phone.
He basically shut up don't be scared just stand your ground.

Honestly, I understand that it can make you nervous when something like this happens but in the future don't let someone 'bully' you.
When he threatened to call the police I would have just politely said "sounds good...let me know when they arrive...I'll be right here flying".

Any time flying in state forest I'm wearing something on my belt and it's not a go pro.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav