Getting Certified

Reaction score
I've got a current recreational pilot's license and just completed the online Part 107 SUAS test. Now I need to have it all verified, by a DFE or a CFI. I could go to the CFI that I got my pilot's training from, but from what I understand, a CFI can't issue a temporary certification, so it has to be sent to the FAA for processing. Does anyone know how long it takes for that to be completed and I get the official certification on my license? If it's around 90 days, I'll have to find someone that can issue a temporary certification.

A CFI can issue it on the spot.

The FAA is strongly encouraging the use of IACRA for application submissions. An FAA Flight Standards District Office, FAA Designated Pilot Examiner or Airmen Certification Representative can issue a Temporary Part 107 Airmen Certificate to an applicant on the spot. Therefore we decided to set an appointment with our local Flight Standards District Office in order to obtain our Temporary Certificate right away.

Obtaining Your Part 107 UAS Certificate | FAA Drone Regulations and UAV/UAS Policy Explained

The FAA is strongly encouraging the use of IACRA for application submissions. An FAA Flight Standards District Office, FAA Designated Pilot Examiner or Airmen Certification Representative can issue a Temporary Part 107 Airmen Certificate to an applicant on the spot. Therefore we decided to set an appointment with our local Flight Standards District Office in order to obtain our Temporary Certificate right away.

Obtaining Your Part 107 UAS Certificate | FAA Drone Regulations and UAV/UAS Policy Explained
Thanks for the helpful information.

Either a CFI or a DPE can authorize the submission into IACRA. But only the DPE can issue a temporary certificate.

Reactions: BigAl07 and FLYBOYJ

Ehhhh, not what N42742 and I know of. It only takes a few days / perhaps a week or so after your CFI enters it in IACRA for it to be processed and you get a temp. # / cert.

In fact, where I fly when you call the local FSDO as part of it's automated phone tree message it explicitly states to not bother them for this and to contact a CFI. But that was Aug 30 of 2016, perhaps it's changed by now.

And most likely a DPE will want some $$$ for doing it.

A DPE charged me $50 to process and issue the temp certificate. Oddly enough, my CFI wanted to charge me a full hour, which was much higher, and they can't issue a temp cert.

I called the FSDO in our area, which is at least an hour and a half away. The rep was very helpful and informed. He told me my best bet was to get together with my CFI. He said they would be glad to do it if I wanted to make an appointment. That means a trip into the west suburbs of Chicago. I'll check with my instructor before I do that. The CFI can't issue a temporary certification, but if it's done on the IACRA site the FAA will email it once they process it. He said that usually is within a few hours. It can then be printed out.

Oddly enough, my CFI wanted to charge me a full hour

A lot more than $50 / hour for a CFI? Sheesh. Mine didn't charge me anything but he is also the Chief Pilot where I have spent many thousands getting my Private and also rent from there. Side Note: it's $55/hour there in NY and $47 in Chino, CA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.