Getting a S900

Reaction score
Tomorrow! Travelling north to take delivery of my brand new S900! The baby will be RTF, with all bells and whistles, and a Pana GH4 in the gimbal!
Will have a 1 day training and best practices from the supplier as well, which I'm sure is a great thing to get confidence flying it. Probably a bit different from the Phantom, maybe more stable and easier? No idea yet.
I didn't take the lightbridge option, first because of the price, and second because I don't see the absolute necessity of getting a full HD monitoring. Also, I don't like much the idea of the 2 ways link on the same device. However I like the encryption of the link. Anyway... The price of this configuration is already quite hi so I keep lightbridge as an option for the future.
I have also 2 remotes, one for me, the other for the cameraman. I'm quite excited but scared when I think to the amount of ££££ I'm going to put up there!!
Checked the insurances, waiting for concrete answers...
I still have to get qualified for this one, and get permission. Trying to make it a business is a real commitment, there are many steps to get there!

Lucky you! It's a beautiful beast and I drool for one, though I can't possibly justify it. I've just promoted myself from Phantom to Flamewheel F550 hexa, which was most certainly NOT RTF, and I'm still in the test fly/fiddle with gains loop. I hope you get the required clearances to use it in earnest and successfully.

Thanks! this is the goal... I didn't fly it much so far, as I'm still in the paperwork, But it's going there... To me RTF= Peace of mind. I think that sooo much can go wrong already, if you're not already an expert in setting up the bird, don't even think about it! (I mean considering the price of the thing you send in the airs...)
I did the same with the P2, and got to know it inside out later. But to start with, I trust "the ones who know". I think I could have tried the 550 first, but I was in the rush to use a DSLR, and I don't think the F550 can lift one + a gimble.
I'm glad to have both the P2 and the 900, as they can do different jobs!

I used Heliguy in Newcastle, I travelled from London to take delivery of it. They were very helpful, I had a full day course and best practice on all aspects of the 900, and at the end of the day, they flew it in front of me to check that everything was fine. Then I could try it myself for a flight under their watch.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to name them. These guys are really professional. I had my 14SG modified on the spot to have both sticks spring centered as I've been used to have with the P2, as well as a mod to go quickly from 1 operator to 2.
They are located in a modern 2 storey building in a Hi-Tech industrial estate, organised in sections for sales, build, and repairs, and expeditions. There were plenty of P2, S1000, Cinestar and more, and my S900 was only one of many! That sounds a bit advertising but honestly they deserve it. It's always difficult to know what is behind a website, but I've seen for myself and I warmly recommend them to anyone who plans to buy a new bird! :)

I'm thinking of using that supplier for a S900 with a BMPCC that I already own and use on the ground. Did you have a P2 before? How does the S900 handle in comparison? Did you consider the A2 before going for the Wookong?

I still have the P2 and carry on flying it as it is much quicker to operate and less stressful. My feeling so far is that the 900 is as easy to handle, just bigger, more stable in the gusts(7~8kg total make a difference) but I didn't have much chances to fly it as our weather is not great at the moment...
Heliguy strongly advised me to get the Wookong, so I just ignored the A2. I have no basis to compare, except what is said on the forums.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic