Getting a Phantom..

Reaction score
forgive me if this is a stereotypical topic.. im new to the Phantom/quadcopter world and had a few questions about the Phantom 2 Vision +. what is the difference between the v2.0 and the v3.0? im not sure if its that big of a deal to me. i am considering buying one off of ebay and they dont mention which version of the + it is. is it just the controller being different or are there different features on the 3.0?
also i hear you cant take pictures while recording video (unless upgrading to a GoPro)? is there a limit to video and photo taking during flight?
and last but not least. is this something i should just jump into, or should i start practicing with a cheaper quad and work my way up to a phantom? i want quality photos and video abilities, and hear the Phantom is one of the easiest drones to fly.
oh and whats the cheapest way to get live video feed hooked up to your controller? i saw an iphone attachment in a picture somewhere.

thanks in advance..

Cloud

Check out Amazon too as they have good prices on the Phantom 2 Vision+ (v2.0 & v3.0).

To answer your questions:

- The notable v3.0 features are the new remote with rechargeable battery & wheel to tilt the camera, stronger motors, thrust-boosted props, anti-static compass, and better shielding on the inside to prevent interference from the WiFi module and other cables within the Phantom.

- It'll cost much more to convert a v2.0 to a v3.0. So, buy a v3.0 if that's what you really want.

- You cannot take pictures and record video at the same time.

- You could start with a cheaper quad, but it won't handle like a Phantom. It would be kind of like test driving a Ford Mustang and then going to buy a Lamborghini.

- The Phantom is super easy to fly -- and super easy to crash. Make sure you read the manual (at least twice) and check out videos online, etc. You'll find a lot of helpful information in this forum.

- Most people use the free DJI Vision app on an Android phone/table or Apple phone/tablet to get the video feed. The phone/tablet mounts to the remote controller (the mount is included with the Phantom).

Last edited:
oh well thats great! i was thinking i was going to have to drop a couple hundred to get a video feed option. is there a way to get Ground Station on an iphone? i dont have an ipad. good point about the handling. i found a lightly used P2 Vision+ with camera and gimble for a little under 800. i think thats my best bet, even if it turns out to be a 2.0? the wheel to tilt the camera is about the only thing i would regret not having with the 2.0. i assume for my purposes the motors/thrusters and what not on the 2.0 will be fine.

The DJI Vision app has a ground station feature built into it. It's an iPhone app, but will also work on an iPad if you ever decide to upgrade your screen size.

I have a v2.0 and it has plenty of power. The v3.0 might not make much of a difference unless you start attaching a lot of things to your Phantom (like aftermarket antennas).

Be careful with buying used Phantoms on eBay (or anywhere). I doubt it would be covered under DJI's warranty if you buy it and something is wrong with it.

interesting point about being covered by warranty. its from a reputable seller and apparently only used a few times. anyways i have a 14 day money back guarantee and if i use paypal i assume im covered/can get a refund through them if it turns out to be trash?

I don't know how PayPal/eBay refunds work. If it was me though, I'd pay a little more for peace of mind -- and to save any hassle if the deal does go south. If you were an expert at repairing Phantoms though, then eBay would probably be a fine choice.

It's your Phantom though. Do what works best for you :)

Reactions: griter34
CloudPhantom said:
its from a reputable seller and apparently only used a few times.
Plenty of people didn't read the manual, flew a few times and crashed only once.
This might be good - or it might not but the potential for buying someone else's problems is high.

The differences between the 2.0 & 3.0 are minor. They make very little or no difference for most users.
They are still both a P2V+.

true.. i just figure the $400 in savings is hard to pass up, and worst case scenario i dispute with paypal to get a refund for buying something that had problems that werent disclosed?

so i found out its a v2.0. is it possible to swap controllers and get the 3.0 controller with the gimbal/camera angle adjuster wheel? that seems pretty useful..

CloudPhantom, yes, you can buy the remote controller here.

It's also compatible with the Phantom 2 Vision+ v2.0.

Last edited:
Is there any way to change the angle of the gimbal mid flight without the V3 (or modded) controller? I'll likely mod mine but don't have everything to do that right away.
Also I was reading an insurance thread that said it likely won't even cover most cases.. Is there a decent way to insure one of these things?

Here's what the app view looks like
i-jCHz6CP-M.jpg

See the up and down arrows on the left side?
Touch them to make the camera go up and down.

the Phantom came in today! it flew great. the app (new update) was crashing the whole first time i had it out but later in the day the app was working a little better. i noticed though that the camera appears to be crooked. i was reading something about hooking the phantom up to something and doing a MIU test or something to recalibrate the camera? is there an instructional guide for how to do that, online?

After doing some test flights yesterday I noticed the camera gimbal seems tilted. I just tried the IMU calibration and it said my "MC" is too hot? It's winter time and in the low 70s in the house. I haven't been flying it today, just had it powered on trying out a few things to fix the gimbal.

I haven't! I'm new to the Phantom/quad world and was just google searching from my phone. Thanks! I'll give it a watch.

CloudPhantom said:
After doing some test flights yesterday I noticed the camera gimbal seems tilted. I just tried the IMU calibration and it said my "MC" is too hot? It's winter time and in the low 70s in the house. I haven't been flying it today, just had it powered on trying out a few things to fix the gimbal.
First, welcome to the forum. You will get that message if you turn it on right before prior to doing that calibration. You need to have it cool down for a period of time & immediately run that calibration. Some say if you still get the message, continue with it. Good luck with your new phantom, enjoy the flight time.

Thanks.

The camera angle adjustment video looks do able, but first I wanted to make sure the manufacturers warranty didn't carry over to me and it still be under warranty. Or if they even cover that type of stuff.

Also, I just noticed the rear pivot point for the vertical axis has a wobble to it. It hangs down a little Toward the front, with the gap in the gimbal pivot being wider at the top than the bottom (you can hold the camera and wiggle it just a bit 360* at that point. Is that normal?

I do not have this version yet so I can't answer that question. Knowing you purchased it used and was shipped a couple of times I was reminded of this video and it sounded like what you are talking about.

CloudPhantom said:
Thanks.

The camera angle adjustment video looks do able, but first I wanted to make sure the manufacturers warranty didn't carry over to me and it still be under warranty. Or if they even cover that type of stuff.

Also, I just noticed the rear pivot point for the vertical axis has a wobble to it. It hangs down a little Toward the front, with the gap in the gimbal pivot being wider at the top than the bottom (you can hold the camera and wiggle it just a bit 360* at that point. Is that normal?
For MFG. Warranty, You would need to check with DJI, but I would not hold my breath. I hope I'm wrong but some things that they should cover, they turn down with original owner. As far as the gap, it would be helpful with a image or video of exactly what you are describing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31