Get Used to the Wind?

Reaction score
I have a question for those who know the inner workings of the Phantom - or the theory behind it anyway.

I was flying a golf course this week and it was fairly windy 10-12 mph, and I found if I took off and got up into the wind and immediately started flying down the fairway the Phantom would drift quite a bit with the wind even with the switch in full phantom GPS mode.

However, I found if I flew the Phantom up and let it "get used to the wind", it would fly down the fairway with much less drift.

Am I imagining things? Or does the Phantom actually "learn" something from it's first 30 seconds of flight about the prevailing wind and make an adjustment?

I've flown in wind before - but not in as tight conditions (with trees on either side) so I didn't notice the drift as much because there wasn't any real point of reference to really see the drift. But when you have trees on either side of you (even if you are flying above them) you can notice the Phantom drifting with the wind (at least at first).

Anyway - curious as to other Pilots' thoughts?

I was flying a golf course this week and it was fairly windy 10-12 mph, and I found if I took off and got up into the wind and immediately started flying down the fairway the Phantom would drift quite a bit with the wind even with the switch in full phantom GPS mode.
10-12 mph should be like no wind to a Phantom working properly in GPS mode and it shouldn't exhibit any drift. They can handle 20+ mph winds easily.
The learning idea doesn't fit with the way the Phantom works. Either it holds position or it doesn't.
If it's drifting away with the wind, you have to wonder if you had insufficient satellites and it was actually in atti mode.
Perhaps it acquired more sats and started working properly?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers