Get rid of the USB ribbon cable!

Hey Guys!

I received my order from Goodluckbuy today and came straight in and did the install. Very successful, no Dremel or modification required to the part. I also managed to hide the cable and cover the back. It took a bit of fiddling, and I did loosen the 4 screws on the backplate to make the install easier before tightening them back. Before I did the install, I did a test fit of the connector into the back of the GoPro, which at first I thought was not going to fit, but it does take some pressure to get it on. Once installed to the gimbal, it goes on fairly easy but snug like you would want it to.

On the back, I simply tucked the cable loop back in and put the H3-D3 replacement sticker on top of it to cover the hole as it was before. I then turned the small plate removed from the front backwards on the back, so its the opposite from some of the other install pictures I have seen.

Tested it all out and charging and picture work great. Below are some pics I took along the way to help others.

Cheers,
Pete

Connector inserted into the correct position:

Tucked the loop of the ribbon cable back in to the cutout:

Sticker installed over the cutout:

Cover moved to back:

Everything Working:

Attachments

• IMG_6199.jpeg
    IMG_6199.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_6204.jpeg
    IMG_6204.jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_6205.jpeg
    IMG_6205.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 701
  • IMG_6216.jpeg
    IMG_6216.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_6215.jpeg
    IMG_6215.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 711
good looking install pete!

QYV said:
good looking install pete!

+1

I had thought about folding that new white ribbon cable over like you did under the sticker, but I want to test it some more first without doing that. My concern is putting the same kinds of stresses on it that led to the original breaking issues with DJI's ribbon cable...but the one on this new part does look thicker/sturdier so it may not be an issue.

OI Photography said:
DesertFlyer, when you have everything powered up and the gopro is on and receiving power through the new port, does the display on the gopro look odd to you at all? When I first tested mine and at least got power through it, the little battery level icon was split in two horizontally for some reason.

The display goes into that mode when you have the external battery pack from GoPro fitted into the port at the back. It basically gives you your battery level for both the internal GP battery and the external pack. Once the external pack is depleted the top half of the display disappears the GP battery takes over with the remaining battery showing in the lower half of the display.

Must be some strange anomaly caused by this particular product and how the GoPro 'sees' the connector. The only thing I would add is when the GP is in this mode (split battery indicator) it is NOT charging but utilizing the battery power only.

The Editor said:
OI Photography said:
DesertFlyer, when you have everything powered up and the gopro is on and receiving power through the new port, does the display on the gopro look odd to you at all? When I first tested mine and at least got power through it, the little battery level icon was split in two horizontally for some reason.

The display goes into that mode when you have the external battery pack from GoPro fitted into the port at the back. It basically gives you your battery level for both the internal GP battery and the external pack. Once the external pack is depleted the top half of the display disappears the GP battery takes over with the remaining battery showing in the lower half of the display.

Must be some strange anomaly caused by this particular product and how the GoPro 'sees' the connector. The only thing I would add is when the GP is in this mode (split battery indicator) it is NOT charging but utilizing the battery power only.

A-ha! Thank you sir, never used the backpack and had never seen the display do that....appreciate the info on that and the true (not)charging state. It's possible I didn't have the connector seated all the way in the port on the camera, but modification will be necessary to get in any further. I'll check it tonight.

Got mine Goodluckbuy shipment today en did the install.

Works and looks great without the stupid connector. Old times again.

Had my GoPro bus connector shipped from ebay/china. took about 3-4 weeks. Installed it tonight and it works. Was a tight fit in the gopro. Also noticed I needed to power on the Phantom, then wait then power up the gopro in order to get video transmitted properly.

Ok, dumb question.........how do i get the ribbon cable out??

Does the white plastic bit move to release it? Gone a bit gung ho and taken the plate off and peeled the sticker away but can't see how to get the old cable out, don't want to pull it and break it................ :oops:

Edit - sorted. Life tiny black tab. Wish me luck!!

Woohoo - did it. It works too. Gopro charges and video signal all present and correct. Lost a screw from the 4 that loosen, which is a worry - but it's working!

Got mine from goodsuck today. Tight fit but OK.

Anyone tried a retro fitted back port with GoPro 4 and got video and power? Ver 1 gimbals don't work apparently wither the gph4

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

IrishSights said:

Anyone tried a retro fitted back port with GoPro 4 and got video and power? Ver 1 gimbals don't work apparently wither the gph4

someone in another gopro thread said their v2 with this mod wasn't working, I'm still holding out hope. I'll have my hero4 in 7 or 8 days and I'll for sure post here about it

QYV said:
IrishSights said:

someone in another gopro thread said their v2 with this mod wasn't working, I'm still holding out hope. I'll have my hero4 in 7 or 8 days and I'll for sure post here about it

That was me. Got the Hero 4 today and had no luck getting it to work with the mod. Interestingly, I was not able to even power up the Hero after the Phantom power was on. This makes me wonder if I would have any luck if I isolate the power leads on the cable (using the tape method), and only allow video. If I have time this weekend, I will try that. Otherwise I will have to go back to the USB connector and hope for a future update that might resolve the issue. If anyone else has any luck, please let me know.

Thanks,
Pete

OI Photography said:
Ahhh ok makes more sense now that I can see the slug, I didn't realize that came out. So the cable routed that way lets it move through the full range of possible motion w/o any protests from the gimbal?

I already have an H3-2D to steal the port from, but this looks like it might be a great option for others who don't have one and don't mind the re-wiring that's required.

Thanks again for bringing this to everyone's attention!

I allso have h3-2d.. Is the port mod for 3d easy to make from 2d port?

Is it not possible to connect ground somewhere on the gimbal? Because one terrible wire put out and new wire I have :cry:
If on the gimbal is not good GND, isn't´t solution to take new wire between TX GND and gimbal connector?

where is GND at Gimbal connector?

someone in another similar thread told us that GoPro said the Hero4 will not output video through the rear port, I really hope that's not true.

I bought 2 from an ebay seller and didn't have a lot of luck - I first tried cutting the 5v trace to see if I could make a version that didn't charge while still pulling video. I wasn't able to get video, so I tried with the second, unmodified connector just to make sure, and that one didn't work either (both tested with a hero3+ on an original 1.0 h3-3d).

Putting the original connector back in restored video / power, so luckily I didn't break anything opening the thing up. I might get a refund and buy direct from goodluckbuy, but I'm not feelin super confident about it at this point. I might just swap that gimbal's connector with the usb upgrade and a dragon link ribbon cable (working great on my other phantom with a 1.1 h3-3d)

So no luck with the Hero 4 then guys?

Just a quick Q - Video output for FPV is working fine with the Herobus connector mod?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4