Get rid of the USB ribbon cable!

lol and after I just got done re-patching with the cable from the OP.

oh well, another round of drone surgery coming up! this solution looks better :)

I decided to go ahead and order one. Didn't pay for the upgraded shipping, so it will be on the slow boat from China. :lol: I don't expect it anytime soon.

DesertFlyer53 said:
I decided to go ahead and order one. Didn't pay for the upgraded shipping, so it will be on the slow boat from China. :lol: I don't expect it anytime soon.

same here. my system is perfectly functional but I have had my gopro die twice on me mid-flight because I was dumb and didn't charge it and didn't have my spare battery handy so if this $15 part and a little tinkering gets me back onto the gimbal for video and power I'm fine with that, not in a rush either

Here are some decent step by step instructions I posted to another thread, I'll copy it here for people following this one
QYV said:
Here is the part for modding your H3-3D back to having the Hero port. It's fairly new, so far that's the only place we've seen it.

Now, I did a similar mod with the port so my cable is different but the mounting principle is the same. Obviously the ribbon cable from the above part simply plugs into the port in the back of the gimbal which will be exposed when you peel the "h3-3d" sticker off the back of the mounting plate.. picture 3 below

You start the whole process by removing a rectangular metal piece from the mounting plate using 2 small screws in the back. Save them (picture 1)
place the hero port in the space you created by removing the rectangular piece, picture 2
plug in the ribbon cable into the port on the gimbal, picture 3
put the rectangular piece on the REAR of the mounting plate (picture 4)and line up with the screw holes. this will hold the screws in when you screw them from the front, picture 5

again, please bear in mind you will NOT have the multicolor cable that I do coming out the back of my hero port, you'll have a ribbon cable going from the back of the hero port to the appropriate plug on the gimbal (picture 3)

assuming you have a "standard" FPV setup where the Zenmuse gimbal carries video signal back and you tap in to the Phantom mainboard, this mod shouldn't even affect your FPV at all.

Attachments

• 1 gimbal piece.jpg
    1 gimbal piece.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 556
  • 2 hero port installed.JPG
    2 hero port installed.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 500
  • 3 ribbon cable plug location.JPG
    3 ribbon cable plug location.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 533
  • 4 rectangular piece on rear.JPG
    4 rectangular piece on rear.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 498
  • 5 final mount front& back.jpg
    5 final mount front& back.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 498
Any updates on this? I'm looking forward to hearing from those who have ventured into this upgrade and how it has worked out for you.

bells0 said:
Mine is still on a slooooooow boat

yea mine too. of course I'm still running the AV cable version of the mod but when my Zenmuse ribbon cable version comes in I'll switch to it and post more pics... but seriously it's EXACTLY the same as my pics except the ribbon cable goes into the zenmuse port instead of having an A/V cable that patches directly to my FPV transmitter

Anyone got the goodluckbuy part to actually fit a GoPro yet? I hear on rcgroups mixed reports, some saying that it does not fit well at all.

IrishSights said:
Anyone got the goodluckbuy part to actually fit a GoPro yet? I hear on rcgroups mixed reports, some saying that it does not fit well at all.

My Gopro is in the shop right now so I haven't been able to test any more beyond the initial install, but it seemed to fit in the gopro fine when I checked that. The issue seems to be more with getting the part's ribbon cable to plug in to the slot with the port installed. I was able to get it to feed power to the camera, but no video throughput...but that could just be due to my camera's pre-existing issues that I'm having fixed now.

As soon as I have a known working gopro to use (mine or a friend's) I'll be able to do a full evaluation.

Ol, I received my goodluckbuy GoPro plug today. How did you install this on the H3-3D plate and plug it in to the PC board? The ribbon looks to long.

IrishSights said:

Do you have any links over at rcgroups? I'd like to check them out. I just got this part today and looking at it (haven't had time to try to install it yet) the ribbon cable looks to long. Are there any instructions someone can point me to for installing this on the H3-3D gimbal?

I can offer a few pics that might help. Once you have the old part and the little black metal plug pulled out of the camera cradle, start by connecting the new ribbon where the old one was, like this:
0bL26TRl.jpg

Then you'll need to let the ribbon fold/loop out behind the cradle as you push the new port down in its space part way:
oLIn3dol.jpg

wDMMZAHl.jpg

Then seat the port all the way down in the space, it may take a little wiggling to get it in with the cable folded the way it is:
YBtWUObl.jpg

Last, screw in the stock screws, with the metal plug behind the cradle:
yxVG9g8l.jpg

VtFtnNsl.jpg

I hope that helps some, let me know if you have any more questions!

OI Photography said:
I can offer a few pics that might help. Once you have the old part and the little black metal plug pulled out of the camera cradle, start by connecting the new ribbon where the old one was, like this:

In the rcgroup post Dr Tom unscrewed (loosened) the 4 screws holding the main board in which let the new plug assembly fit in easier then screwed the board back down.

IrishSights said:
OI Photography said:

In the rcgroup post Dr Tom unscrewed (loosened) the 4 screws holding the main board in which let the new plug assembly fit in easier then screwed the board back down.

I thought about that method and it would certainly have that effect, mine just in went easy enough without that so I didn't bother trying. The only thing to be careful of with that method is not damaging the other ribbon cable connection at the far end of that back board.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl