Get ready for Christmas!!

Best Buy is not a hobby store and never will be. I personally do not think big box retailers and manufacturers should be unleashing these to the walk-in idiots that saw one on Youtube and thought it was cool. This will be chaotic and will ruin this hobby for responsible pilots. I'm sure there will be responsible purchasers out there, but that will be outweighed by teenagers and carelessness,

I cant agree with you enough,I sold 2 more yesterday to annoying little kids being little brats begging their parents for them. I cant do anything but shake my head. So I decided last night to pull our "Drones" off the shelf and locked them up in the back for "Security Reasons" ;) If someone asks me about them I can then start seeing whos it for and such,if its for a kid ill just say were sold out hehe

Where we are at were less than 5 minutes from Disney,All I can see is these kids flying the **** phantoms over Disney and do something stupid and really mess it up for us.

Unbelievable! Ten year olds! I once had a neighbor ask me about mine. The sort of questions someone truly interested in getting one. Then he mentioned his grandson. That's when I said "why don't you get him a 9 mm pistol while you're at it?" He wondered what I meant. I'm like, man, you know the capability of this thing? You know the cost? We grew up kicking balls and riding bikes and those did the job. A laptop or a playstation makes sense. But a 1000 buck, mile range drone? Are these people nuts?

I agree,kids dont have responsibility to know what to do,They didnt fork out the money so they dont care what happens and if it crashes or whatever they dont care. Living 5 minutes from Disney and 15 from Orlando Airport I get a bad feeling every time these kids are buying them.

Best Buy is not a hobby store and never will be. I personally do not think big box retailers and manufacturers should be unleashing these to the walk-in idiots that saw one on Youtube and thought it was cool. This will be chaotic and will ruin this hobby for responsible pilots. I'm sure there will be responsible purchasers out there, but that will be outweighed by teenagers and carelessness,
Yeah, I don't disagree with this sentiment. However what's the difference in Best Buy and Amazon from the aspect of responsible buying? Anyone can buy from Amazon as well, and you have nobody to talk with. At least at Best you might have a rational person to talk a mom out of buying a flying slicing machine for a 10yr old and point them toward a smaller ProtoX to learn with. Do you want to eliminate Amazon from selling them too?

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
Yeah I don't disagree with this sentiment. However what's the difference in Best Buy and Amazon from the aspect of responsible buying? Anyone can buy from Amazon as well, and you have nobody to talk with. At least at Best you might have a rational person to talk a mom out of buying a flying slicing machine for a 10yr old and point them toward a smaller ProtoX to learn with. Do want to eliminate Amazon from selling them too?
I can see what your saying,but the advertising that is done in the store to the displays and models to the working demo,this is what can push people that are on a borderline to buy a product. It's called persuasive buying. This is how stores can stay in play with Amazon is when you have a product you can lay hands on,see,and watch video and then seeing the product is in stock this can take people that are borderline thinking of getting it to push them over and purchasing the product.

I have no doubts that many of those young'uns could fly circles around some of us old farts.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

You basically have a flying lawn mower that can maim and maybe even kill.
Never happened, probably never will.

Why do some people scare so easily?

I cant agree with you enough,I sold 2 more yesterday to annoying little kids being little brats begging their parents for them. I cant do anything but shake my head. So I decided last night to pull our "Drones" off the shelf and locked them up in the back for "Security Reasons" ;) If someone asks me about them I can then start seeing whos it for and such,if its for a kid ill just say were sold out hehe

Where we are at were less than 5 minutes from Disney,All I can see is these kids flying the **** phantoms over Disney and do something stupid and really mess it up for us.
thank you for doing so.

Age limit won't work as parents will simply say "it's for me" and then give it to their little bags of sunshine via Santa Clause.
Registration is one thing that will work and then pass laws allowing police to harass any quad pilots, shake 'm down, check credentials, search, seize and confiscate!
A couple of alternatives are to ban quad use over common public land or tax them to a point where it is simply too expensive to give as children's gifts.
C'mon people, think of the safety of the children before it's too late!
Something needs to be done NOW without any further thought or consideration for anything else!!!

What nutcase parent would buy their 10 year old child a $1,000 item. Some parents don't know how to say no. That is the problem with kids today. Parents want them to be their friend.

If this Christmas does turn out to be a drone buying spree you can bet that there will be a lot more no drone areas popping up.

Reactions: Pluto88888
Isn't the govt going to categorize drones by weight and/or prop size? There is too much potential for trouble with a nearly 3 lb aircraft with four 9 inch props becoming a toy for kids.
Ground and flight schools to qualify for the heavy categories?

Friend of mine bought his 5yr old an AR Drone 2.0 not realising I fly a P2/P3. I advised him to wait till he is a little older. I showed him what carbon props did to an adult and mentioned that he will injure himself or someone else. "The props are plastic on the AR 2.0", he replied. A week later, somehow his kid fell off the balcony stairs while flying AR 2.0. The kid wasn't aware of his surroundings and broke his cheek bone.

In saying that, it's the parents attitude that we need to change and not the kids. Adults who have not flown larger quads or flown at all don't know what they are in for until something hits the fan. And when something happens to them or their children, they flip the script and make up some sort of sob story saying "I can't believe they sold such a toy to an 8yr old". And then the knee jerk reaction and public outcry. Reminds me of soccer mums owning 4x4 off road vehicles reversing over their own in kids in their own driveway and blaming the vehicle.

Everybody needs to get ready for the onslaught of "my P3 fell out of the sky". I promise you this forum will be overrun with these threads. There are just too many people buying and receiving them and they don't realize this is not a toy. You can buy a $50.00 copter or quad but when you move up to a P3, well, you know. It's not unbox and fly. It is easy to fly but there is a lot you need to read and practice before shoving a battery in and taking off to see how high and how far it will go. You heard it here first!

Then maybe the forum itself should be proactive and have a "Start Here" type of landing page for these types.

Reactions: Waternut13134
What nutcase parent would buy their 10 year old child a $1,000 item. Some parents don't know how to say no. That is the problem with kids today. Parents want them to be their friend.

If this Christmas does turn out to be a drone buying spree you can bet that there will be a lot more no drone areas popping up.
Parents that make a ton of money. The location where were located is where Shaq,Tiger Woods, and more own homes at. So these parents have money to just blow and have no care doing so.

I agree,kids dont have responsibility to know what to do,They didnt fork out the money so they dont care what happens and if it crashes or whatever they dont care. Living 5 minutes from Disney and 15 from Orlando Airport I get a bad feeling every time these kids are buying them.
Are they able to fly so close to Disney and the airport? I'd think it would be a red no fly zone

Are they able to fly so close to Disney and the airport? I'd think it would be a red no fly zone
I have been told by some that Disney is a not marked as a no fly zone on the map because Disney themselfs use quads. I don't know how true it is,but I can believe it.

As far as the airport we are about 15-20 miles from OIA but we are under a main flight pattern they use to take off and land.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.