GET OUT OF JAIL FREE - WARRANTY CLAUSE - FAKE ANALYSIS

In OPTIMAL CONDITIONS a P4 in the UK, running CE radio output, should be good for 3.5km. I personally, have gone over 2.5km with no issues at all, but, other days, it disconnects before that, doing the same flight.

Besides, if you were sticking to the caa guidelines of 400ft and line of sight, you would have seen where it 'crashed'.

Push the limits, accept the consequences of your actions....

In OPTIMAL CONDITIONS a P4 in the UK, running CE radio output, should be good for 3.5km. I personally, have gone over 2.5km with no issues at all, but, other days, it disconnects before that, doing the same flight.

Besides, if you were sticking to the caa guidelines of 400ft and line of sight, you would have seen where it 'crashed'.

Push the limits, accept the consequences of your actions....
No limits pushed.... nowhere near limits pushed. Wait till something ducks up with your bird and try getting a resolution.

Another thing to consider with hills is the funnelling effect of wind past an obstruction like that, the air gets "squeezed" as it has less room, with a resulting increase in speed. This can be quite dramatic. Sort of a Venturi effect.
So, where you were standing 1500 metres away from the drone, it may have been reasonable wind speed, where the phantom was could easily be double or much more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta4
I will keep my oppinon as dji are bad news and to stay away because if it. Advertised specs are no where near reality typhoon advertise ranges of about 1.2 km but realistically looking at 1 km. That is reasonable advertising 5km and disconnecting at under 1.5km is just plain false advertising.
Your opinion is in contrast to the experience of many, many users.
There's nothing false about the distances shown in DJI's specs which have been proven to be achievable and Phantoms fly out several kilometres every day of the week.
But they do tend to lose signal when there's a big lump of terrain blocking signal as happened when you turned right.

The error message you saw is a common false alarm and made no difference to any factor of your flight - there were no obstacles in the path of the Phantom.

But without a tonne of money. No way to fight them for It.
If your flight data shows proof of a malfunction, DJI are very good at replacing lost Phantoms.
But when the flight data has no indication of malfunction and shows that the loss was due to the way the Phantom was operated, it's no surprise that they don't come to the party.

Dji don't give a volts so most of the other posts are redundant. They give a percent remaining battery.
But you can see your battery and cell voltages here:
i-vdJXK8d-M.png

And here:
i-w3kKnmB-M.png

But DJI tell you in the manual not to fly with a partially discharged battery.
There's a reason for that.

Fact is even at 2 miles per hour it should have still made it back to home and as it disconnected there would be no way to know if it picked up speed after that point. But its safe to say that there wouldn't have been terain in the way as It remains at the hight until it gets to the home point and then desends
No terrain makes no difference when you have your Phantom up nearly 700 feet over hilly terrain where conditions are likely to be gusty.

If you fly your Phantom:
where signal is blocked by terrain
at high altitude where winds are high and underlying terrain
with obstacle avoidance enabled which reduces speed​
You stand a good chance of losing it.
Although the Phantom is ready to fly out of the box, the operator might not be.
Down at the park you can get away with some mistakes.
But if you go flying greater distance without regard for altitude, terrain and winds, there can be some painful lessons.

Reactions: kirk2579
Sorry for your lost...a malfunction it's not clear on the log. Dji will not remplace if they can't see it clearly.

Been there and almost lost my birds a few times to wind .... it's very easy to find a air stream up there...one time landed with 1% and it actually turn off like 4" from the ground...

a good trick when flying away it's to stop for a few sec and put it in atti mode and let it drift for a few secs and you will clearly see the bird drifting on the map and give you a good idean of speed and direction of the wind... best to comeback with the wind but if you are careful and conservative you can do it either way ...

RTH it's design to conserve battery the more pitch and speed the faster you use the battery and less ground you can cover. It's posible that your bird made it closer to you going 2mph in that wind that 10mph at full power eating the battery all at once quick...But that's hard to calculate depending on many conditions that the bird not even know, either way it was to close, also when your battery hit critical auto landing kicks in and that far if you lose actitud will lose signal and no way to stop it from landing them....

I don't doubt something could had gone wrong that itsnt obvious but all DJI can see it's that wind wasn't taken seriously in the equation ... just 68% battery really it's almost the point where you needed to hit back home if flying agains the wind and that's when you take off.... 10-15% it will start auto landing any way....

From what has been said about your logs (altitude and wind direction) I would suggest searching in a grid pattern with the last known gps as you centre point and a 0.1mile radius focusing on the south east quadrant. This assumes a dead drop from 400ft and a gust of 30mph caught it on the way down, couldn't go much further.

First Potos are from the flight log showing that othe Phantom was Drifting - The Second two show that the Phantom (after pressing RTH) slows right down, turns and then moves forward towards me, but this was ignored.

It Was Drifting so that means wind - YESSS we have a Get Out of jail Free Clause for that, Just put is under that, Phew That was a close one -" We all Have to Follow the Warranty, Its not about sending it further up, the manager or even the Boss it doesnt matter". - Quote from the email that I got.

100% pilot error

Reactions: David Kraft
Why DJI chose to program RTH flight slower than regular flying is one of the unsolved mysteries of dronedom.
I've never heard a satisfactory explanation.

Unfortunately the flight data stops just after the Phantom has begun to make headway towards the home point.
Despite only flying at 11 mph, it took 8.5 secs and 107 feet to come to a stop.
The Phantom begins to accelerate but the data stops 2.3 seconds later.
We can't really tell the strength of the wind because we don't know what speed it might have attained but can compare this acceleration with what the Phantom did at the start of the flight
RTH acceleration 0-2.7 mph in 2.3 secs
Start of flight - 0-11mph in 2.3 secs

obstacle avoidance requires slower flight. DJI states this everywhere.

It's slower on a P3P as well. Around 22 mph. I don't believe there is OA involved with the 3 series.

Obstacle avoidance is not the reason that RTH is slow.
As I said back in post #52
It's no mystery that Obstacle avoidance definitely can't run at full speed.
But RTH speed was always 66% of normal speed, even before DJI developed obstacle avoidance and your Phantom in RTH still flies at the slower speed when you disable OA.
I'm still looking for an explanation for DJI's choice to make RTH fly more slowly than normal flight.

Meta4 only an informed guess but...
All motors have a maximum and an optimal speed and torque, whilst the motors can go faster than P mode (as they might do in sport mode, although it's more likely a combination of speed and increases of max yaw/pitch) the reduced RTH speed suggests their optimal performance is less speed, max yaw and max pitch.

Edit.. i.e. The bird gets more m/mAh at lower speeds and hence can travel further to complete a RTH process

Edit 2.. I guess the best way to prove/disprove this theory is for someone to fly circles of fixed diameter at various speeds (slow first test, then medium on next full charge etc..) and measure total meters traveled (on a full battery for a given speed)

Edit 3.. Whilst I haven't researched the specifics of optimum vs maximum motor speed, it would make sense that they set RTH at 66% as that would suggest the relationship follows the RMS rule (approx 70.7% of max) which is logical.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Kraft
Obstacle avoidance is not the reason that RTH is slow.
As I said back in post #52
It's no mystery that Obstacle avoidance definitely can't run at full speed.
But RTH speed was always 66% of normal speed, even before DJI developed obstacle avoidance and your Phantom in RTH still flies at the slower speed when you disable OA.
I'm still looking for an explanation for DJI's choice to make RTH fly more slowly than normal flight.

As said before I also can't figure out any logical reason why is RTH set at 36km/h (22mph) when all field tests confirmed that most optimal speed (miles-per-mAh) is 48km/h (30mph). It is not only that more distance could be covered with remaining battery when returning home but the biggest downside of slower RTH is possibility that it will not make it home if strong head wind is encountered when coming back.

* numbers are from P3Pro

Neven, nice to see someone tried it out already. That said I would rather like to see it as a fix radius circle being made at same altitude (say about 20m to avoid any ground issues). With the option existing on some Phantoms I think a 'point of interest' circle would work well, but getting setup and in position with equal battery use each time might be a pain.
Logically speaking any motor should be at peak efficiency at about 70% of peak speed (please note that sport mode on Phantoms might not be peak motor speed) without taking loses such as heat and friction etc. into account.
We have to consider that the speed of the Phantom is a function of both max angle allowed and motor speeds but, assuming max speed of 45mph and the 0.707 (rms rule) theory we would get 31mph which those tests tend to agree with.
However we can't be certain what other factors DJI took into account.

Like I said up in post #68 I agree with others about RTH speed for efficient .... now if you find that a few extra miles give you a little better efficiency that doesn't mean is the same under every condition. Also will give you less time to react to any problems on your way.

After all this it's just a fail safe that's way it's not call Autopilot

Edit.. i.e. The bird gets more m/mAh at lower speeds and hence can travel further to complete a RTH process

Edit 2.. I guess the best way to prove/disprove this theory is for someone to fly circles of fixed diameter at various speeds (slow first test, then medium on next full charge etc..) and measure total meters traveled (on a full battery for a given speed)

Edit 3.. Whilst I haven't researched the specifics of optimum vs maximum motor speed, it would make sense that they set RTH at 66% as that would suggest the relationship follows the RMS rule (approx 70.7% of max) which is logical.

The bird does consume less mah/time at lower speed (lower power consumption) however maximum distance for a given available battery charge is achieved at significantky higher speed than RTH. In the phantom 3 optimum distance on a battery is attained at just a smidgen under 14ms, that's pretty much flat out. Nobody needs to fly around in circles to test/prove these numbers, many have demonstrated already both mathematically and in the field.

RMS rule? To the extent you are referring to the relationship between average to peak voltage of a true sine wave (ie root2/2 or .707) this has no direct relevance to any discussion on synchronous motor efficiency.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj