Gesture Mode

Reaction score
Any one else curious if DJI will update the Phantom firmware to allow for a Gesture mode like the Mavi? I like the idea of taking a selfie... errr dronie with giving a hand/arm gesture and not have the controller in my hand and show up in the photo.

Why not use the timed shot?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Lol! It's so gimmicky and I'll be surprised if it catches on.

Reminds me of when Windows was trying to do gesture stuff that didn't catch on.

Remember this from Google?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It took a few before I realized it was April Fool's Day. Well it's not Fool's Day for the Mavic gesture stuff but it might be after all. We shall see.

Coz, a timed shot will just take a still. But the gesture mode, if you make a box signal with your hands it will take a dronie... which is recording a video of you while flying away....... Thats cool.

So if it's a video you want set way points and press record put the controller down and away you go. You would have to set way points anyway for it to fly away as you say you want to make a video of you without the controller. So if you don't set way points how will it fly away?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

So if it's a video you want set way points and press record put the controller down and away you go. You would have to set way points anyway for it to fly away as you say you want to make a video of you without the controller. So if you don't set way points how will it fly away?

Easily. It sets waypoints itself. Gesture initiates fly back and up while controlling gimble to keep subject in the frame.

The whole point of gesture functions is to cater to users who don't want to have to learn and use apps to control things and it can be spontaneous.

Lol so you want DJI to change their system because you can't be bothered to learn how to use the current system.
My suggestion is to get someone else to film you or learn how to use the controls. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Lol so you want DJI to change their system because you can't be bothered to learn how to use the current system.
My suggestion is to get someone else to film you or learn how to use the controls. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You commenting on my post? I don't want gesture control. I wouldn't bother using waypoints for such a simple take either although contrary to what you have suggested way points would be unnecessary for the gesture selfie to work. My point is DJI is catering to every user they can.

Yes, it would be nice if gestures was implemented in P4, but I doubt it, since Mavic has 24 processors. It would be interesting to know what all those processors are doing. I would assume gesture support will be in P5.

That's pretty interesting. I was hoping DJI is one of those companies which would continue to improve on their existing products through firmware rather than making you buy a new one all the time.

That's pretty interesting. I was hoping DJI is one of those companies which would continue to improve on their existing products through firmware rather than making you buy a new one all the time.

Welcome to modern marketing. That being said, gesture I don't mind much and I would not see why the current P4 could not implement a few more 'intelligent flight modes' such as terrain follow or some further active track refinements as they did in the past. Still plenty of juice in the P4. But precision landing (which does not interest me even though the tech is cool) and gestures (same) might require that extra imaging processor. But it's the same platform so the code should be the same for most features, relies on same sensors and inputs....

Now it all depends what DJI's marketing strat will be as sure an updated version of the P4 (Pro?) will surely have the updated proc. The P5 likely an even mightier one. But yeah, I'd love to see DJI throw some goodies over a new firmware.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31