Germany

could I be able to fly my phantom I'm not sure on the drone laws there
A little late, but I am traveling to Germany (Berlin specifically) for IFA at the beginning of September. I have found this site which helps, and I will put some quotes below.
https://www.wbs-law.de/internetrecht/civilian-drones-legal-issues-surrounding-use-50459/

...pilots of private civilian drones less than 5 kilogrammes are subject to no specific aviation legal requirements. For example, pilots are not required to prove knowledge of aviation rules.
...a minimum distance of 1.5 km has to be kept from airports; special no-fly zones apply in the government district in Berlin; and some federal states also prohibit flights over military bases and nuclear power plants.
The drone has to stay within the sight of the person flying it, i.e. in an open area and at a maximum distance of 200 – 300 metres away. Some federal states also restrict the height of such flights to between 30 and 100 metres.

Like in many other Countries there are like heated discussions in germany as well but so far its like a gray area. For private non commercial use and under 5kg weight its free for everybody. You just have to keep line of sight and FPV is only allowed with a 2nd person as a spotter. To not fly around airports should be clear and i always stay under 120m but i think there is more allowed theoretically but since some cessna or helicopter pilots fly pretty low here i wouldnt do that. Also note that only 25mw 5.8GHZ FPV TX are allowed here. I think you cant fly in citys as well, like when you want to fly in downtown Berlin or Frankfurt. The drone laws are a gray zone because theoretically you have to ask land owners when you fly over it, i guess it depends on your height. Thats why i fly mostly in the countryside:p

I have a Phantom 3 Pro, so I am using the 2.4ghz band for FPV...so I might be flying without FPV if that is the case.

As far as the parks go, I will be staying right downtown Berlin just a few kilometres from the Berlin Tegel Airport. Having never gone overseas from Canada before, I have been hunting for regulations and rules to keep me flying safe and not pissing anyone off. Within the city I had marked off Tempelhofer Feld as a possible place to fly, with a whole lot more just south of the city like the Diedersdorfer Heide und Großbeerener Graben and Düppeler Forst. But of course I am coming in completely blind and just using my techniques of finding places to fly in Toronto -- basically going onto Google Maps and looking for big patches of green. I always stay line of sight anyways, and don't mind staying within 30m of the ground...I just don't speak any German (a little Yiddish, but I doubt that will help much) so I want to try to avoid any issues with the officials that could come up.

So...finding a bus to get outside of the main city seems like a priority. And I anticipated/assumed that I couldn't record videos or take photos while flying for the same problems that Google Maps ran into. I just find it relaxing and it would be nice to have my toy while out there.

Last edited:
IFA is in Berlin, so you have to note some local regulations:
No Fly zone within the S-Bahn-Ring (complete inner city), outside max. 30 meters high (since 1. June)!
Could you please direct to the source of this. I have heard this from other people as well but know that lots of model flyers (not just quads) do fly at Templhof airport which is inside the Ring. I have taken my P2 there as well. There was a park attendant there the day I was there and he said basically the same rules. Under 100m, line of sight, no FPV, no flying over people and stay within the specific area.
EDIT: Actually found the info: it's no flying within 5 km of the Reichstag, and 2.2km around the Nuclear Research Plant at Wannsee. Really has nothing to do with "inside the ring". Someone posted it on Reddit.
https://www.dfs.de/dfs_homepage/de/Services/Luftsport & Freizeit/Flugmodelle | "Drohnen"/Übersicht Kontrollzonen/berlin.pdf

Last edited:
Could you please direct to the source of this. I have heard this from other people as well but know that lots of model flyers (not just quads) do fly at Templhof airport which is inside the Ring. I have taken my P2 there as well. There was a park attendant there the day I was there and he said basically the same rules. Under 100m, line of sight, no FPV, no flying over people and stay within the specific area.
EDIT: Actually found the info: it's no flying within 5 km of the Reichstag, and 2.2km around the Nuclear Research Plant at Wannsee. Really has nothing to do with "inside the ring". Someone posted it on Reddit.
https://www.dfs.de/dfs_homepage/de/Services/Luftsport & Freizeit/Flugmodelle | "Drohnen"/Übersicht Kontrollzonen/berlin.pdf

That are only the areas were it is a crime act to fly. The DFS answered this on a request of mine. Whole Berlin is declared as an airport area. You can also see it here openAIP map

That are only the areas were it is a crime act to fly. The DFS answered this on a request of mine. Whole Berlin is declared as an airport area. You can also see it here openAIP map
Thanks for the reply. So does that mean that it's not possible to fly in the entire area of Berlin or are there other rules? I know that people fly at Tempelhof, which is inside the 5km area but it seems to be tolerated because it's a large open area. It's not just quads, but also other models like helicopters and planes.

Thanks for the reply. So does that mean that it's not possible to fly in the entire area of Berlin or are there other rules? I know that people fly at Tempelhof, which is inside the 5km area but it seems to be tolerated because it's a large open area. It's not just quads, but also other models like helicopters and planes.

It is not allowed to fly within the S-Bahn-Ring without a permission (which you will not get). Outside the ring you normally need a permission, too. But the DFS says it assumes you have a permission by following the rule to fly up to 30 meters high maximum.
You can fly everywhere outside Mitte because nobody cares, but you are not allowed to. I would say your assurance will pay nothing if you do it and cause an accident.

Who can translate something for me in this video
What I am wanting to know is at 10:00 he his pointing to what I think is a 2.4 antenna and at 10:35 is he pointing to the other one ? Am I correct ?Thanks

Who can translate something for me in this video
What I am wanting to know is at 10:00 he his pointing to what I think is a 2.4 antenna and at 10:35 is he pointing to the other one ? Am I correct ?Thanks
Ya. He says that there is a square antenna inside the battery area, which the other model doesn't have and that it's for the video signal and on the other side deep in the back is a 2nd antenna which is hard to see behind the panel that he's pointing out. And then he said that there are 4 antennas on the Phantom 3 Standard.

Ya. He says that there is a square antenna inside the battery area, which the other model doesn't have and that it's for the video signal and on the other side deep in the back is a 2nd antenna which is hard to see behind the panel that he's pointing out. And then he said that there are 4 antennas on the Phantom 3 Standard.
Thank You Sir !:) That is what I thought but wasn't sure .
My hat is off to you !!
The 4 should be those 2 and 2 In the TX for the 5.8 .

Hello there,

I am planning to visit Stuttgart and planning to buy p3p from rc711.com.
Will I need to pay any tax for custom clearance? Or if I tell them to write as gift, will it be OK? Do you have any experience?

Thanks in advance to you all!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 using Tapatalk

Right now in China. But flying tonight back to Hamburg... anybody in Hamburg?

Sent from my iPhone

Hello there,

I am planning to visit Stuttgart and planning to buy p3p from rc711.com.
Will I need to pay any tax for custom clearance? Or if I tell them to write as gift, will it be OK? Do you have any experience?

Thanks in advance to you all!

If you buy something out of Europe, you need to pay tax on it at the customs in Europe/Germany

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks buddy. So i will check from amazon for the cheapest price.
And as far as i know there is no limitations for hobby flights in Germany. Just to keep distance from the crowded areas and airporta. Right?
Do we need any licience?

Thanks buddy. So i will check from amazon for the cheapest price.
And as far as i know there is no limitations for hobby flights in Germany. Just to keep distance from the crowded areas and airporta. Right?
Do we need any licience?

As of Jan 2017 drone flying in Germany just got very strict.

You cannot fly over 100m period. You need your name and address on your model. You cannot fly over residential areas in any capacity. You need to be insured. You cannot fly over roads. (Main roads). Those are biggies. Basically you can film trees.

Reactions: bryan_m and cekabu
As of Jan 2017 drone flying in Germany just got very strict.

You cannot fly over 100m period. You need your name and address on your model. You cannot fly over residential areas in any capacity. You need to be insured. You cannot fly over roads. (Main roads). Those are biggies. Basically you can film trees.

This is not really correct. This was an announcement for a regulation which is not active yet. We still have the old regulations in place but this will come maybe later this year. Also you can still get a permit to fly over residential areas as this rule would make flying in a city impossible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair