Geotagging/georeferencing video with Phantom and GoPro

Reaction score
Ok so I have the need to georeference video with GPS co-ordinates and altitude etc. with my Phantom 2. Now from the looks of it I will need to purchase a GPS logger similar to the one here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Holux-M-1000...1373220364?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item19ee5c7a0c

Now if I mount this to my Phantom, reset the clock on the go pro and start them both at once, theoretically I should be able to get accurate GPS tracking of where I am flying. Now I will just have to find a way to embed the GPS data onto the final video.

Is this doable? Does anyone have any experience georeferencing VIDEO (not photos) with the DJI phantom and gopro hero3?

Yep, what Pull_Up said. flytrex to capture GPS data and Dashware to convert the GPS data (in CSV format) to overlay the video. You might contact Dashware and ask if they support that device if you don't want to use a flytrex. Much smaller and lighter is the flytrex core v2 though.

I had never heard of flytrex, until now. Awesome I am ordering that unit right now. From the website it looks like it mainly specializes in tracking altitude and speed etc., does anyone know if it will record actual lat/long coordinates?

gruvpix said:
I had never heard of flytrex, until now. Awesome I am ordering that unit right now. From the website it looks like it mainly specializes in tracking altitude and speed etc., does anyone know if it will record actual lat/long coordinates?

Yes, you can download your missions as a .csv file which contains all the measured items. Here's an example of one of mine for you: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9VWpq ... sp=sharing

Hopefully useful?

Awesome, yes that does help, I also found a dashware vid where the guy had a co-ordinates widget.

Pull_Up said:
gruvpix said:

Yes, you can download your missions as a .csv file which contains all the measured items. Here's an example of one of mine for you: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9VWpq ... sp=sharing

Hopefully useful?

Final question (sorry):
DO you happen to know if this data is able to be embedded into the video in the form of standards compliant metadata?

gruvpix said:
Final question (sorry):
DO you happen to know if this data is able to be embedded into the video in the form of standards compliant metadata?

You can add the data as metadata those video formats that support metadata. Your video editor can do that, however data such as GPS coordinates can't be added on a frame by frame basis. the metadata describes the whole video, not individual frames.

riblit said:
gruvpix said:
Final question (sorry):

You can add the data as metadata those video formats that support metadata. Your video editor can do that, however data such as GPS coordinates can't be added on a frame by frame basis. the metadata describes the whole video, not individual frames.

Hm interesting. That is what I had thought as well until our client showed us this program arcGIS, where she imported a GPS geotagged video and opened the metadata file and the GPS info was there.

Anyways it sounds like I'm just going to have to get out there and do some tests... Hopefully the flytrex kit comes in soon.

Thanks guys!

The mp4 videos from the phantom vision camera are geotagged in that the GPS coords of the place where recording starts is in the metadata, however is not in a field that I see in normal metadata view in a video editor. I do see in in a dedicated metadata viewer I have installed.

Out of curiosity I asked google what it knew about geotagging video.
This is worth a read. http://blog.safe.com/2012/04/gps-meets- ... ng-videos/

Geotagging still images from a GPS track is easy, I have have been doing that got some time, there is a plethora of software available to do that. Just make sure the camera and GPS times are in sync or you know the offset before taking photos. Make the first photo the GPS clock screen is the easiest way to get the offset.

What we ended up doing, but hasn't been confirmed to work by the client yet, is mount a Garmin VIRB elite camera to our old Phantom 1. It works in a similar way to the ContourGPS, but has a better picture and is generally just a more polished unit. We were able to capture some jello-ey footage with it for testing, and sure enough the track and GPS data was embedded into the file. Also we were able to add these nifty little gauges in the VIRB software to show the track, altitude, bearing, co-ordinates etc.
My conclusion after was that if this thing doesn't work, nothing will work.

BtVekXmCIAAMVsx.png:large

riblit said:
The mp4 videos from the phantom vision camera are geotagged in that the GPS coords of the place where recording starts is in the metadata, however is not in a field that I see in normal metadata view in a video editor. I do see in in a dedicated metadata viewer I have installed.

Out of curiosity I asked google what it knew about geotagging video.
This is worth a read. http://blog.safe.com/2012/04/gps-meets- ... ng-videos/

Geotagging still images from a GPS track is easy, I have have been doing that got some time, there is a plethora of software available to do that. Just make sure the camera and GPS times are in sync or you know the offset before taking photos. Make the first photo the GPS clock screen is the easiest way to get the offset.

I actually came across that article in my searching for a solution to this.
Out of curiosity, what is the metadata viewer you have that does pick up the GPS info?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.