George WAshinton Bridge Flyover

Reaction score
[youtube]http://youtu.be/xJa8UN8VgmQ[/youtube]

Fly first Ask questions later
http://youtu.be/xJa8UN8VgmQ

Damaged Gimbal... and I"m not buying a new one ... plus high winds over the bridge. the only footage i'll be able to get since the GWB Police warned me not to fly there.

GMANNZ said:
You're gonna get squealed at by some on this forum flying there .... :shock: yikes !! Wait for it !!!! ;) ........... cool view though nonetheless :cool:

hahaha... doesn't matter... GWB Police already warned me.

Foolish and unnecessary risk. That is a heavily trafficked helicopter and fixed wing corridor, as you may remember from the midair there several years ago. Not to mention flying over a congested roadway next to all that steel.

ScottH said:
Foolish and unnecessary risk. That is a heavily trafficked helicopter and fixed wing corridor, as you may remember from the midair there several years ago. Not to mention flying over a congested roadway next to all that steel.

Everywhere in the tri-state area is a a heavy traffic hell and fixed wing corridor. Heli's and fixed wing are not flying that close to the bridge. I had complete visual at all times. the farthest i went out on bridge is 600m. The riskiest maneuver was flying through the arch twice and if you want to count the other time flying above the arch.

The GWB Police said I didn't break any laws and that the only thing that was an issue is they had 6 calls and traffic. He said they have enough problems with traffic without people calling in with a drone flying overhead. No biggie I obliged. Every time we put this thing up in the air is a risk.

Now that I have it I hope you don't mind, Mr. Forum YouTube video Policeman... Im with team black sheep and I'm going to video the world and document my experience as I see it.

No I'm simply commenting on what I believe to be irresponsible flying, which at some point will result in an incident, or worse. Sure, the perspective is amazing.. I love that part about the hobby. It lures you to do this type of flying. But do we really need one of the tour helicopters that frequent that corridor reporting to ATC about your drone? It's bad press we don't need. And btw, I HAVE flown that close to the GWB shooting from a 206.

ScottH said:
No I'm simply commenting on what I believe to be irresponsible flying, which at some point will result in an incident, or worse. Sure, the perspective is amazing.. I love that part about the hobby. It lures you to do this type of flying. But do we really need one of the tour helicopters that frequent that corridor reporting to ATC about your drone? It's bad press we don't need. And btw, I HAVE flown that close to the GWB shooting from a 206.

No need to get your panties in a bunch. There are always extremes. There will be people that will push the extreme, those that wish they had the balls the push the extreme, and those that don't have the desire what so ever to push the extreme.

I have news for you... this is just the beginning. With Hubsan and Walkera among other companies crossing the line from toy to hobby with drones (I don't believe drone is a bad word)... that limit will be pushed even further. Think of just Hubsan coming out with a phantom clone including GPS and FPV for about $500. Think of Walkera coming out with a large size drone that can carry a DSLR with retractable legs all in it's own carry case for about as much as I spent on P2 with GOPRO and FPV equipment.

Regulation is coming whether you like it or not. You are barking up the wrong tree. The problem is going to come from a dope that couldn't afford the hobby of a Phantom but can with the Hubsan at 1/4 the cost that gives it to their teenage kid who mucks it all up.

The problem is not going to come from serious hobbyist like us. My phantom is being used for Aerial Photography. I have scratch build that are much faster and do not have GPS that are flown manually (maybe auto level) that I do not fly in congested areas for pure FPV fun. That I can fly in my back yard... i don't need the GWB or NYC for that.

I didn't buy a phantom for strictly the joy of flying. I get that from my scratch builds. I got a phantom for strictly Aerial Photography which is really boring UNTIL you can piece together a cool video that documents your experience.

I'm just an amateur novice but I hope that I can put together better and better videos. I used GoPro Studios because my mac video card is acting really retarded.

Heli's and fixed wing are not flying that close to the bridge.

I can assure you that you are DEAD WRONG. Tour helis and transient aircraft routinely fly low along the Hudson. The only altitude restriction is to fly BELOW 1,100 feet and close to the Manhattan shore northbound. I've done it myself.

Are you able to assure us all that you will be in complete control of your aircraft at all times (no fly-always, etc)? I don't think so.

Plus, above 1,100 ft. you're into LGA's airspace in the way or westbound departures. We've all seen videos of Phantoms well above 2,000 ft.

You, and a lot of innocent bystanders, were lucky - this time.

mikeve said:
Heli's and fixed wing are not flying that close to the bridge.

I can assure you that you are DEAD WRONG. Tour helis and transient aircraft routinely fly low along the Hudson. The only altitude restriction is to fly BELOW 1,100 feet and close to the Manhattan shore northbound. I've done it myself.

Are you able to assure us all that you will be in complete control of your aircraft at all times (no fly-always, etc)? I don't think so.

Plus, above 1,100 ft. you're into LGA's airspace in the way or westbound departures. We've all seen videos of Phantoms well above 2,000 ft.

You, and a lot of innocent bystanders, were lucky - this time.

OK Kid.

Keep this on track or we will be forced to locket down. Speak your peace but refrain from personal attacks and name calling. Thanks guys.

I apologize for my remarks if they appeared to be a personal attack or name calling. On review, I could have worded it differently. They were, however, on topic, viz. flying over the GWB.

I was simply trying to underscore my view (shared by many others) that, while it produced spectacular footage, this kind of flying endangers others and reflects badly on all of us. If the battery had cut out (as frequently reported in this forum), the quad would have fallen onto the bridge, probably damaging a vehicle and possibly injuring someone. It a fly-away had occurred (also reported frequently), it could have hit another aircraft. Recall that the GWB is very close to where "Sully" Sullenberger lost both engines to geese. Certainly the negative publicity will encourage those demanding draconian legislation that none of us want.

IMO

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4