GEO Zones, and RTH Failsafe Behavior Alert

Reaction score
I've been flying for the past two weeks for a client at a location approximately 6.3 NM from a Class D airport. After doing a manual landing with low battery about 15 meters from the home point, and before the motors shut down, I got a red alert that the Failsafe RTH Path was in a NFZ.

From what I can see there are no NFZs near me. After reading in another thread that the bird may just land without permitting any operator control in such a situation, I called tech support and that possibility was verified.

In fact, I was told that because I flying within an Enhanced Warning Zone, RTH control is not to be considered reliable. If it was DJI's intention to cause my head to explode, they succeeded in that moment.

I could mention that the Enhanced Warning Zone ends 7.1 NM from the Class D. This in itself seems kind of ridiculous.

I did do a test within 5 NM of the Class D and was correctly prompted to disable the GS limitations. Ironically, I did not see a Failsafe RTH Path warning (it only having happened once at 6.3 NM from the Class D, as described above).

My settings when the warning appeared: RTH 70, Max Altitude 120, Max Distance 250 (note the screenshot shown is RTH 30, but that was not the setting for the flight)

Screenshots:
DJI P4P screenshots re RTH error 061217

Tech support said I should write to [email protected] which doesn't make sense to me.

It seems dangerous for a safety system to warning you about RTH problems ~after~ you are airborne.

It also seems erroneous to complain about an RTH when you have landed, and especially when you are only a few meters from the home point.

And if this is truly caused by flying within an Enhanced Warning Zone that is 7 NM from the airport, the system itself would seem to be contributing to hazardous flight by imposing such a wide zone where RTH control could be lost.

Is it true that I should expect to lose control of the bird and see it force a landing at anytime I call for an RTH when operating beyond the FAA regulated 5 NM distance but within the 7 NM radius of the GS? Or am I misunderstanding the GS? This is some scary socks.

I've also included a screenshot of the annoying Firmware JS that pops up every time I open the app.

Thanks for any help. I'm going out to play some pinball.

[Edit: I could mention that I was flying that mission at 120 meters altitude.]

Last edited:
DJI is freaking me out with this joke like, software development plus new policy.. I just don't wanna see my 1500 bucks flying away to the trash can.. too bad DJI.. :/

Reactions: Bozz
Do you have "GeoFencing" turned off?

I also get that "Notice of Firmware Update" message at every startup.

I'll assume that your P4P works the same as my P4.

AD

There is no longer an option to turn off Geo System in the DJI Go 4 v 4.1.3 (I think it got turned off in earlier versions, at least 4.1.2).

The notice of firmware update is an annoyance that we are going to get at app launch.

Twelve days after sending the second of two email messages to [email protected], I've receive no reply.

Since I'm not receiving any official or semi-official attention to this thread here, I'll post over to the Geo System thread on the "other" and see what happens. There seems to some heat there over current GS DB errors and inconsistencies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj